The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 2, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
triggerhappy2006

Marker Item, secured home?

Do any of you leave a marker item by the front door. A watch, ring, earing, money, wallet or something. So that if it was moved or gone you would know that someone was in your home?
Old December 2, 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My marker items are work boots at the front door for the crooks to see... If someone is in my home and we were to return there would be dogs barking inside or we wouldn't hear the happy yaps we usually do.
Brent
Old December 2, 2008, 09:54 PM   #3
csmsss

Nope. Most thieves aren't terribly persnickety about cleaning up after themselves. Someone breaking into your home is likely to be in a great hurry and will probably strew junk all over the place in haste.

Should someone break into your house and be lying in wait, chances are you're in grave trouble before you even opened the door.
Old December 3, 2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Keltyke

My "marker" would be a call from my monitored alarm company. "Mr. *****, we have an entry alarm going off at your residence." That phone call would come about 30 seconds after they got in. One word from me and the police are on the way. If I get back to the house before they arrive, I wait in my car at the street until THEY clear the house. In the meantime, if someone comes out with my stuff, I meet the scene as needed.
Old December 3, 2008, 01:16 PM   #5
David Armstrong

Honestly, if I felt I needed to use something like that I would move. Let's also toss into the mix that such a marker really doesn't tell you much. The guy could have come in the back door and still be in the kitchen, just hasn't made it to the front door yet.
Old December 3, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6
scottycoyote

true an item like that wouldnt necessarily be moved. If youve ever read any spy books, they usually use a marker like a thread or string in the door as they close it, you dont notice it if you dont look for it, but if someone opens it the item is lost. Thats informational only, i agree with the others youre better off with dogs/security system, etc