The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2006, 10:37 AM   #1
sodflyer

educate me on crimping

I have read through a few posts and through my manual but I can not find anything on just how much crimp is enough... I have reloaded and crimped my .44 mags although I can see a good amount of taper at the top I dont have any info on mesurements to know that it's right. I will be shooting them out of a .44 mag super redhawk revolver as well. So if anyone can point me to where I can get the needed mesurements that would be quite helpful! Thanks Jeff.
Old March 20, 2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

If the bullets stay put until fired, you have enough crimp.
Old March 20, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3
kingudaroad

Crimping to me is a feel thing.The difference between a light crimp and a heavy crimp is not that much.When I first attemted a heavy crimp, I found that I was crushing the cases.

Depending on which powder you use, a lighter than max crimp will usually suffice.With powders like H110 I use a bit more to the point where there are cannelure marks on the case mouth of my brass after it has been fired.

Take a pair of calipers with you to the range, load up your gun, fire all but the last one. Then take out that last round and measure to see if the bullet has crept out making the oal any longer than you originally made it.If it's the same , then your crimp is fine.
Old March 20, 2006, 12:33 PM   #4
OLD LOADER

Crimp

TO heavy of a crimp increases the chamber preasure and too much preasure
can cause problem.the powder plays a role also.BE CAREFUL.
JIM
Old March 20, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5
mete

There are two things to consider when loading the 44 mag especially with the slowest burning powders. You must have a good crimp and you must have a tight grip on the bullet . This is to insure that the powder burns properly and the bullets don't 'jump the crimp' when firing the other rounds. A tight grip is achieved with the proper expander die. If it's not tight enough get a smaller expander. The crimp must be enough but not too much. Too much will give accuracy problems. When you fire, the bullets in the cylinder should not move . Measure the OAL of the cartridges ,fire three or four and measure the remaining cartridges.
Old March 20, 2006, 12:58 PM   #6
sodflyer

Thanks, I am still kinda at a loss here. I understand what you guys are saying however I don't understand how there is no "exact" answer here But I doubt I have too much as this was a roll crimp attempt but I don't see a roll just a taper. I will take a picture today of a few that I did so you guys can see it if it might help at all. Thanks Jeff.
Old March 20, 2006, 01:45 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...I don't understand how there is no "exact" answer here..." There is no exact answer. Crimping isn't a measurable thing. It's an 'enough' or 'not enough' thing.
A crimp should be just enough to keep the bullets in the cartridges still in the cylinders from moving while the revolver recoils and no more. How much crimping is required depends on the load. A hot load needs more crimp than a lighter load. Target loads need no crimp at all.
A taper crimp isn't a bad thing either. It's easier on the case. When brass is repeatedly loaded and crimped it gets work hardened. Work hardened brass is why the case mouth cracks and splits.