The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 4, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1
TreyNC

Where to hunt pronghorn?

Looking to hunt pronghorn in '08 and just starting to look around. Where do you guys hunt them? Is there any states that have good herds with over the counter license? How about hunting public lands vs trying to find private lands? Any help is appreaciated in helping me start my quest for the little critters.
Old June 4, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2
taylorce1

What kind of hunt are you looking to do guided or do-it-yourself? Probably the easiest place to draw for a Pronghorn would be Wyoming. For the best chances in the draw look at applying for ML tags. I have a friend that hunts pronghorns almost every year in WY on ML tags says that he never has a problem drawing one.
Old June 4, 2007, 02:58 PM   #3
TreyNC

I am a do it yourself kinda guy. Eihter car camp or short distance in camp (1-5mi). What is your friends sucsess rate? I'm not expecting to to have an easy hunt, but would like a fair chance if I do my part. Thanks for the reply.
Old June 4, 2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Scorch

I would second the suggestion of applying in Wyoming. You have to apply, but you are almost guaranteed to draw. Second choice would be Montana.

The area between Rawlins and Rabbit Ear Pass had literally thousands of pronghorn last time I was there. I have seen hundreds of decent bucks there in a single day. Getting close is another issue.
Old June 4, 2007, 04:59 PM   #5
taylorce1

I don't know his exact success rate but his group always fills some of their tags every year, but no great trophies yet. I'd contact the Wyoming F&G and they will have some good suggestions for you. Good luck on your hunt I hope it goes well for you.

Last edited by taylorce1; June 4, 2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old June 4, 2007, 08:27 PM   #6
TreyNC

If I understand, Wyoming requires non-resident (big game) hunters using public land to use a guide? Why would this be, other than idiots wandering off lost, or feeding Yogie. I guess I need to try to find some private land to hunt?
Old June 5, 2007, 09:56 AM   #7
NRA4life

Wyoming does require guides on some public lands for non-residents, however I believe it is primarily in the mountains in the national forests and usually only up in the high country. There's a lot of BLM and national forest wherre you can hunt without guides.
Old June 20, 2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Jack O'Conner

South Dakota leases vast areas of private lands for hunters. No kidding. Check the the state website for "Walk In" maps and rules. There are some very good antelope areas in Fall River County and Harding County.

Buffalo Gap Nat'l Grasslands is public land. Buy your map from USDA Office in Wall, SD.

Good antelopin' to you!

Jack