The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2000, 07:36 PM   #1
Hit-em

I'm wondering what would be the best overall powder to use for my 45 ACP reload.I'm loading a 200 grn SWCL & want to use a powder that would give me approx 8-9 grns of powder. The reason behind this is to prevent double charges,I'm trying to find a clean & accurate powder to use. I've looked at Accurate #5,but don't know much about this powder.I sure would appreciate some input & recommendations to consider.Thanks
Old January 10, 2000, 07:50 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

Cleanest is such a subjective term.

I know it does not meet your needs, but 231 seems very clean in my 45's. I also like universal clays as being fairly clean. Blue dot is not to bad, but it does nearly fill the case.

But, the telling truth is I still load bullseye and unique because bullseye just is more accurate with my 230 FMC's and unique is the best with 185 JHP's. I accept the dirty aspects to get the accuracy.

Good luck
Old January 10, 2000, 08:54 PM   #3
Grayfox

AA#5 works well with 230gr jacketed bullets, however, I haven't had much luck with it using lead.
While it doesn't meet your 8-9gr requirement, I've gotten excellet results with Winchester Super Target and 200gr SWCs. Burns pretty clean in my guns.
Old January 10, 2000, 09:09 PM   #4
SharpCdn

I have been using 231 for some time in my revolver (.38/.357), and I have always dreaded the cleanup after any rangetime. My hands were always black by the end.

I recently have been experimenting with Hogdon's Clays, I'm getting great results accuracy-wise from it and it is sooooo much cleaner than the 231 loads I was using. My hands are still clean, even after a long range session.

I just went and looked at the container and they have one .45 ACP load on the label. I know it doesn't match the case capacity that you were looking for but...if you want clean.

The label on the Clays container shows a 185 JHP bullet with 4.9gr of Clays (MAX LOAD), and they quote a velocity of 981 fps.

Hope this helps.
Old January 10, 2000, 10:08 PM   #5
Bud Helms

Hit-em,

I haven't used the AA No.5 either, although it is recommended by Accurate.

I have wrassled with the very thing you are up against. Rifle shooters like fuller cases more than pistol shooters, so it was natural for me to try to do it.

I started with Unique ... couldn't find a cleaner burner. Couldn't find but one or two others that would come close to triple charging volumes either.

I went to the other end of the scale and tried Blue Dot ... filthy!

I am now shooting Herco and couldn't be happier. A little sooty, but a double charge would not let a bullet seat nearly deep to get by a visual check or even load in the mag for that matter.

Sensop
Old January 10, 2000, 11:15 PM   #6
Hit-em

I want thank everyone for their replies,it's looks like I got some testing to do .

Has anyone tried the VihtaVouori powders,I was looking at their loading manuel & they recommend their V-340 at 6.3-7.0 for 200 grn SWCL & 6.9-7.8 for 180 grn SWCL.

I think I just might try to track down some of the V-340 & give it shot.

Keep the input coming it's also good to have others experiences as to whats worked for them to consider.

Thanks, Hit-em
Old January 11, 2000, 12:55 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Yes, the VVO powders are very good and clean burning.
Old January 11, 2000, 02:10 PM   #8
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

AA#5 works VERY well with jacketed rounds and I have 2 different loads using 9 grains of the stuff in 45 acp. It also burns pretty clean (but truth be known ALL reloads leave a bit of residue in my 45 acp revolver, when i pop out the full moon clip i can tap it on the table top and get powder residue, you don't see that in your auto because it gets flung out of the gun)

My 2 AA#5 accuracy loads:

200 grain truncated hornady jacketed flat point,(a hard to find bullet) 9 grains AA#5, cci large pistol primers, remmington cases. 860-870 fps

185 gr remington jhp, 9 grains AA#5, CCI primers, remington brass. 890-900 fps

Both give you a "stout" load that is STILL NOT +p and you can shoot all day without gumming up your guns.

All relaoding data given is anecdotal and should NOT be used in place of "working up" your own load under controlled conditions. Your reults may vary. Start low and work higher and watch out for signs of overpressure like bulged cases, blown case mouths or backed out primers. Inspect your brass and be wary of "range pick up" brass for high pressure loads. Your results at sea level may vary from mine at altitude (here in the mile high city)

Dr.Rob
Old January 11, 2000, 08:57 PM   #9
Ellis

Hit-em
I've been using Vit N310, 4.5gr with 200gr swc. Low recoil, very accurate. Gives me about 1/2 case cap.
Old January 12, 2000, 02:51 AM   #10
Walt Welch

I use Hodgdon HS-6 powder for my full power .45 ACP loads, as it does fill the case to the correct level. You can download the Hodgdon reloading manual in .pdf (Adobe) format at the Hodgdon website:
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/basic1999.htm

Check for yourself, but they list a 200gr Speer JHP with 9.0 gr HS-6, with a COAL of 1.155" yielding 948 fps., and 16,400 cup.

Winchester actually makes Hodgdon powder, so consult a burning rate chart, and you will find a Win. powder very close to HS-6; you may use that if it is more accessable in your area. Winchester's URL for reloading data is: http://www.winchester.com/reloader/index.html

Hope this helps, Walt
Old January 13, 2000, 12:18 AM   #11
WalterGAII

Win. makes Hodgdon powder/?? That's a new one on me!!!! Where can I find that info??
Old January 13, 2000, 12:43 AM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Actually Primex makes most powders for Hodgdon. They are in the Olin group and therefore also make powders under the Winchester brand name.

home page: www.prmx.com

powders: www.prmx.com/ots/propellant.html

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited January 13, 2000).]
Old January 13, 2000, 06:28 AM   #13
45King

I've used Unique in .45ACP & .45 Colt, and have not found it to be particularly "clean," but neither is it the dirtiest powder I've used. However, I like the loads.
I have also used VV N350 with 230 gr. bullets in .45ACP, and found it to be a very clean load. N350 is the only powder I've found which will allow one to load 230 gr bullets to an 850fps velocity and still stay within pressure limits. I like this because that duplicates the Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok load.
My standard load for practice and competition is a 200 gr Rainier truncated cone bullet using WW231 at 900fps. Seems to be fairly clean.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Old January 13, 2000, 12:08 PM   #14
Ed

If you want clean burning try the VihtaVuori(sp?) stuff. It is the cleanest burning powder I have ever used. I load all my full power .357s with VV N110 now, and even the inside of the case stays clean. I haven't tried any of their faster burning powders, but I understand they are supposed to be very clean also. N340 should work well for full house .45acp loads.
No, I'm not a VV salesman. I tried some I found at a good price at a gun show and I like it a lot. It is kinda expensive in the gun shops though.
Old January 16, 2000, 06:11 PM   #15
9x45

I switched to Hodgdon TiteGroup after using Bullseye since about 1972. It meters easily, has about the same burn rate and density as Bullseye, very economically priced in the 8lb container at $88, and fairly clean with very little cleanup required. I use 4.5 grs(about 1/3 case volume) and 230 lead RN. Double-charging is allmost impossible on a progressive that auto indexes, but what you may want to use is a low density powder so it will spill over in a double.