The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 6, 2010, 09:25 PM   #26
doc540

That shooting mentioned in the second post occurred in Brazil.

And that stack of criminal chordwood was one of the factors that motivated me to move from 9mm to .40 S&W for my home defense guns.

seriously
Old August 6, 2010, 09:33 PM   #27
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Do you have a legal or moral obligation to help them?
I would think not and If someone had been so threatening to me that I had to resort to a firearm to stop them then I'm most certainly not going to close with them to provide aid even though (and I'm not making a joke here) I am sure that I would feel very badly about it later.
Old August 6, 2010, 09:42 PM   #28
jhenry

ISC you can do what you want and accept whatever consequences are coming your way, but to hand out foolish advice to kill the BG after he is down to avoid later troubles, is a ridiculous thing to post. "Advice" like that could lead somebody to do something to cause himself far more trouble than a shot and not properly prosecuted BG.

Some better advice might be to elect appropriate prosecutors and legislators.

Would I help the guy I shot? Perhaps. I am certainly not going to dismiss the notion out of hand. My thought processes have not become so ossified as to preclude basic humanity. That being said, my first obligation is my safety and my families. If he remains a viable danger then no. If in my training and experience I could do something without compromising my position, then yes. Certainly.
Old August 6, 2010, 09:51 PM   #29
ISC

Well, take my story for what it's worth, my little sister still has nightmares, not from the shooting, but from the crap she had to go through after the shooting.

I'm not saying that anyone should do anything, I'm just saying that if a piece of civiliazation's detritus is killed cleanly and humanely instead of living and suing you, that is a good thing. Fortunately, I live in a state with a strong castle doctrine and my right to defend myself and my family is more secure than alot of others who can EXPECT to get sued if their attacker lives.

I DO advise that if you ever have to shoot someone, unload on them and take your time to call an ambulance until you are completely certain that there is no longer a threat.

I also say that if there is any doubt that an armed attacker might be reaching for a weapon, shoot again. and again. and again. until you are certain that your live is no longer in any way in danger.

Ya'll can pussyfoot around it any way you want, but the final answer is that if you were justified shooting someone, he deserves to die. If he lives you'll wish he had.
Old August 6, 2010, 09:54 PM   #30
medic176

I've been a Paramedic for many years and I have never intensionally put myself in an unsafe situation. We do not enter an unsafe scene, we have to think about our families. I'm thinking that a BG just being shot is not a safe scene.
You leave the area, get the family (if they are in the area), Call 911, lay your gun down in a safe location and let god and the law handle from that point.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:04 PM   #31
jhenry

No, in a non-military context, which is what we are talking about, if I am justified in shooting someone, it does not follow that he deserves to die. I have used my weapon because I deserve to live. There is the difference and the salient point. I am not the judge, jury and executioner. I am the guy who will use force if needed to go home safe, or to protect others. I am not adverse to stopping someone real good and with decisive action. Probably a good idea. I am also not adverse to giving aid if I can safely do it. I think locking oneself into a particular paradigm is a short sighted and foolish thing to do let alone advocate to others.

We also have a very good castle doctrine statute here. Always use the vote well, it does make a difference.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:11 PM   #32
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Remember these words, "He was reaching for something while he was laying on the ground and said,'I'm going to kill you MFer' so I shot again".
I really don't care for the direction this thread is beginning to take, and there are too many replies to the above comment to simply delete it.

What it DOES do is get this one closed, which is a shame as this subject had potential .

Re-start this if you wish, but do so with my sig line in mind, please!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread