The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2001, 09:51 AM   #1
AEM

I have a chance to buy a pre-Garcia Sako L461 action and would like recommendations for how to go about having a custom sporter built. I have in mind a lightweight, classic style sporter in .223, with a walnut stock, pillar- and glass- bedded. This would be my first custom rifle, and I want to use a barrel and stock nice enough to do the action justice, but I'm not interested in spending thousands for an exhibition grade custom rifle, or going with a world famous 'smith who has a delivery time measured in years.

I am thinking I should have the action trued up and lapped, a high quality barrel fitted, and a stock made from a semi-finished blank, rather than hand carved from a blank, to save on labor costs.

Some specific questions are:

Who are some good 'smiths to do this, preferrably the same person for both the barrel work and the stock?

What would be the best value in a custom barrel, appropriate for this nice old action? Shilen comes to mind.

Thanks for your help.

Old May 8, 2001, 07:18 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

AEM, depending on the caliber of barrel I prefer the Douglas air gaged premium barrels to the Shilen. They're both in the same price and quality range. I've just always had very good results with Douglas bbls and use them as the standard in my shop. I build on Sako actions and if you want, e-mail me with your list of specs and I'd be happy to give you a complete quote. George
Old May 8, 2001, 08:11 AM   #3
AEM

Thanks, George, I'll do that when I get the action in.