The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Cleansoot

damaged Model 70 .270 barrel

I have a Winchester Model 70 in .270 win, it has a damaged barrel the end of the barrel has a bulge in it and it looks like if I cut off the last inch and recrown I could have a very good gun I am not worried about the value of the gun as it is right now it has no value because it is not accurate, I have been advised not to take it to the local gunsmith as he is not that good.
I am willing to do it myself so what do I need besides a hacksaw?
I have a Remington model 700 and its barrel is almost 2'' shorter already so an inch or so isnt going to effect accuracy that much , right?
If all else fails I can always replace the barrel.

Just picking some smarter brains then mine I hope?
Old September 16, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I see no reason you can't cut that barrel down and crown it yourself. Brownells and Midway sell a crowning tool that is not expensive and does a fairly good job. Touching up the muzzle is what they invented cold blue for. If necessary, you might try to find a local machineshop that has a lathe with a hollow headstock and they won't even need to remove the barrel, just the stock. If you get the crown right, there should be no impact on accuracy and little on velocity.

(If you decide to go to someone other than a gunsmith, make sure they know about the job and can do it while you wait for legal reasons.)

Jim
Old September 17, 2012, 12:07 AM   #3
jmr40

Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. If anything shorter theoretically means more accurate. You will lose a little velocity, but cutting it off an inch or so is really your best alternative.

It can't hurt to try yourself, if you don't like the results you get you could always pay a pro to re-cut it. It does need a new crown. It might be cheaper to pay a gunsmith rather than pay for a tool you'll likely only use once. This is a job almost any gunsmith should be able to do. Surely he isn't worse than a DIY project by someone who has never done any gunsmithing.
Old September 17, 2012, 06:48 AM   #4
guncrank

You can crown a muzzle with a saw, file and a lap but the tool is easier.
Recrowning is a standard gunsmithing job.
The tool kit when I bought mine was more than a smith charged but then I use it alot in my shop
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old September 17, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
PetahW

I've always done my own, w/o any machine tools like a lathe, etc, and with very decent accuracy resulting (40 years) - here's how:

I use a solid bench vise, w/padded jaws, to hold my work steady.

Use a tubing cutter to mark the bbl for your hacksaw cut, and a small machinist's square (borrowed is OK) to ensure your cut stays square (to the bore).

Carefully file the cut end smooth, taking care to keep the end square, then break the inside edge of the bore with a chamfer bit (held in a hand/power drill will work).

I also break the sharp outer edge of the bbl/muzzle - but YMMV.

Get a small can of fine/coarse valve grinding compound from an auto parts store or automotive machine shop, and buy a selection of various sized brass round-head screws to use as crowning tools (hardware store).

Plug the bore & chuck an appropriately-sized screw into your drill, before dipping the screw head into the coarse compound.

Rus the coarse compound loaded brass screw head against the muzzle/bore while running the drill & twisting it about at various angles.

Switch screw head sizes to address a different section of the crown, until there's a smooth transition at the end of the rifling.

Then, do it all over again, but with the fine compound.

Flush all the compound out between grits, and after you're done, then push out the plug from the chamber end.

Old September 17, 2012, 07:58 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

You don't mention the front sight. Is that not an issue (rifle scoped) or do you plan to use a ring type ramp?

Jim
Old September 18, 2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Scorch

Find a real gunsmith who has a bunch of takeoff barrels, you will probably find a 270 barrel you can just screw in and be done with it. I saw one today.