The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 15, 2011, 05:27 PM   #1
AdamSean

On carrying speed strips...

i was just wondering how everyone who does, carries their speed strips. I usually just put them in my pocket, but I tend to get a bit sweaty in the warm months and don't want my spare ammo getting all nasty. So again, how do you carry your speed strips?
Old June 15, 2011, 05:35 PM   #2
payden

Back right pocket works best for me.
Old June 15, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
WildBill45

Quote:
Back right pocket works best for me.
Here-hear on that one.

But, and there always is a but in life ... why carry speed strips instead of speedloaders? There is no speed in speed strips! I carry moon clips these days, used to use speed strips and/or speed loaders; the loaders don't imprint that badly!

Quote:
I tend to get a bit sweaty in the warm months and don't want my spare ammo getting all nasty
Move to Alaska, it helps with the sweat issue!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speed strips.jpg (32.0 KB, 171 views)

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; June 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: add a letter, or two
Old June 15, 2011, 05:56 PM   #4
TenRing

I use both but I prefer speed strips most of the time because they are not as bulky and they fit into smaller spaces and pockets. I can fit one into the watch pocket of my jeans. I also like to carry them in my weak side front pocket.

If you don't think the speed strips are fast, you might not be using them correctly. You're supposed to load two chambers at a time and peel the ammo off into the cylinder with an overhand motion. I load speed strips just as fast or faster than a speedloader.

Speedloaders are more likely to loosen up and drop ammo if they are not carried in a case but the speed strips don't require any type of case. Just drop 'em in a pocket and go.
Old June 15, 2011, 05:58 PM   #5
old bear

In a Zip/Lock bag kept in glove box of car.
Old June 15, 2011, 06:04 PM   #6
WildBill45

Quote:
I load speed strips just as fast or faster than a speedloader

Right! I know how to load speed strips trust me, this is we had for a while. If you can load speed strips as fast as speed loaders, then you are slow with both! I can load two guns with moon clips handed to me separately before you load one with speed strips. If you are close lets hit and range and film it!

Speed strips are a nice thing to have, but fast, no way! Lets dial in some stress, and let someone pull a paint gun out while blindfolded and start to shoot at you, and see if you get hit first or loaded first, again, lets film it!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old June 15, 2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Straightshooter629

For everyday concealed carry, I prefer speed stips because they are far less bulky that speed loaders, I carry mine in a Accumold glove pouch. The glove pouch carries two speed strips like it was made for it. It can be worn on the belt or slipped into your back pocket like a wallet. As far as speed is concerned, with some practice, I have been able to load with the strips almost as fast as with the speed loaders.
Old June 15, 2011, 06:14 PM   #8
TenRing

Why should anyone have to hand the guns to you? I'm talking about reloading one gun IDPA style after shooting out the first cylinder.

I'm a few hundred miles away from you but If you claim to be that fast, I won't argue. I don't want this to degenerate into a heated contest. I was just saying that speed strips are a really convenient way to carry more ammo.

Moon clips may be faster than speed strips or speedloaders but they are not fool proof and they can be finicky, especially when using ammo shaped like .357 mag. Moons tend to work best with short, fat ammo with beveled ends like .45 ACP.
Old June 15, 2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Picher

After getting speed loaders, my speed strips went the way of the dodo bird. My last one is stuck under the front strap of the Pachmayr Grips on my Ruger MKII to make the grip longer and better for my relatively large hand. Shazamm!

OOOPS, forgot about this being the revolver forum. Please forgive.
Old June 15, 2011, 06:33 PM   #10
AdamSean

I hope to one day move to Alaska, but until then I need a better way to carry them. And I carry speed strips because speed loaders are too bulky in my shorts pocket.
Old June 15, 2011, 06:48 PM   #11
"JJ"

I carry mine in my cargo pockets. I know, not the handiest. I have & carry speedloaders as well, but I like the strips when I am hunting. If I fire off 1, 2 or 3 rds, I can load 1, 2 or 3 rds to top off the cylinder! As far as whats faster, Miculek with his mon clips can beat us ALL!! Ayoob with strips can run off and leave most with clips! Me, I just hope I don't have to find out exactly how slow I am!
Old June 15, 2011, 06:56 PM   #12
skoro

Quote:
how do you carry your speed strips?
I carry my 642 in an inner jacket pocket during the cool months. And a "slow strip" goes into a smaller inside jacket pocket. I say slow strip because where I'm involved, the only speed in reloading from that strip of cartridges is low speed.

In the long hot Texas summer, I usually carry a P3AT.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

When I carry speed strips, I usually just dump them in my pocket. If you are worried about them getting sweaty, a dump pouch carried on the belt will support the ammo in speed strips. They are easy to reach that way and still allow you to gain speed by using the strips.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Jim March

I went and made what is arguably the best speedloader carrier setup ever:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449753

Tidbit:

Earlier Mk2 edition:

What I use now:

The speedloader carriers are thick (.125" grade) kydex strips lightly molded to the speed strips and then sewn to the back plate. There's also a set of kydex "wedges" that are hard to see, acting as "speed bumps" to keep the speed strips in place. In the latest edition there's two on top of the top carrier, and the top carrier acts as the barrier for the bottom carrier.

In theory you could do a wide "cowboy gun rig belt" with diagonal layers of these sorts of carriers all the way around.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:24 PM   #15
orionengnr

Quote:
the loaders don't imprint that badly!
My revolvers are .41 Mag and .45 LC. Speed loaders for those N-frames seem like they are 3" in diameter. Makes a heck of a bulge in your pocket.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:28 PM   #16
don't shoot it's me

No one but me carries them in the watch pocket of their jeans????
Old June 15, 2011, 08:12 PM   #17
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

I just drop speed strips in my left rear pocket. I've always carried my wallet in the right rear pocket. I couldn't tell you why, since I'm right-handed, -eyed, and -footed.
Old June 15, 2011, 08:26 PM   #18
fdreano

I use my watch pocket for speed strip carry sometimes as well - so, you aren't alone...
Old June 15, 2011, 08:30 PM   #19
Tommy Vercetti

I carry two speed strips in a leather belt holster type pouch, very flat, easy to wear on my belt
Old June 15, 2011, 08:30 PM   #20
Technosavant

Speed strips may not be as fast as speedloaders, but they're flatter, easier to hide, and generally easier to carry.

Sometimes I'll keep them in a pocket if I have an open one that's easy to reach, but last time I ordered holsters, I ordered a speedloader pouch from Simply Rugged. It sits at about 7:30 on my belt and holds them securely but for easy and quick access.
Old June 15, 2011, 08:43 PM   #21
CajunBass

I carry mine in a cheap cell phone case I got at the dollar store for a couple of bucks.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 15, 2011, 08:44 PM   #22
Shadi Khalil

I carry my speed strips in my back left pocket.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:18 PM   #23
don't shoot it's me

As for speed...I've always found strips and loaders pretty close...just takes some practice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1gTMfYJvrI
Old June 16, 2011, 12:10 AM   #24
TenRing

^ That's the basic idea and a good demo.
Old June 16, 2011, 12:56 AM   #25
ClydeFrog

Minty fresh...

I'm surprised no forum member posted the Altoids mint case yet.
These clever metal boxes can store 2 6rd .357/.38spl speed strips.
I've used this method a few times with my Taurus Protector & Ruger GPNY .38spl revolvers. Crooks or parking lot drivers who glance inside your motor vehicle will think you have a few breath mints but you know the tin really is courously strong.

ClydeFrog