The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Where do I start???

I would like to enter the world of reloading....so much to learn and so much to do!
I would like to know where to start?!?!?!
Where can I learn the very very basics on reloading? I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT A DYE IS!!! haha
Thanks guys!
Dave
P.S. Any links will be helpfull : )
Old April 15, 2007, 03:22 PM   #2
CrustyFN

Start by reading the stickies at the top of the page. Then get the ABC's of reloading and a reloading manual and start reading those. Figure out what calibers and how many a week or month you need to reload and we will be able to give you better advice on what will meet your needs.
Rusty
Old April 15, 2007, 03:23 PM   #3
rwilson452

A good place to start is at the top of this forum. There is a sticky. Next, get a book to read. I would suggest,"The ABC's of reloading". After going a couple of laps around that book I bet you will understand what a die is. If you have questions at that point review the book. Still have questions? Post your questions. I'm sure you will get more advice than you can handle. You might try posting a note at your local range asking for someone to mentor you. Some places have instructors that teach it. the NRA has a course in Metallic Reloading perhps there is an instructor near you.
Old April 15, 2007, 04:02 PM   #4
mrawesome22

When I wanted to get into reloading, I started doing a lot of reading on this forum and asking a bizillion questions here. I got great advice, and the people here were very helpful. I too didn't even know what a die did. Now I have more reloading equipment than my wife can stand My wife hates when I go to any store that has reloading equipment because she knows I'm going to come home with at least a couple of new gizmos or a couple cans of powder LOL. BTW, what cartridge(s) are you wanting to reload?
Old April 15, 2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Lavid2002

.243 or something like that.....
Old April 15, 2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Tom2

I have a Lyman reloading manual that is a few years old, but besides load data, it has a lot of basic information in the front section to explain the basics of reloading so you might kill two birds with one bullet(?) by getting ahold of that manual, or at least examining one to see if it has what you want to use. Dies and a basic press should not set you back that much, and you will need a scale of some sort to weigh the charges. And maybe not aquire a whole lot of different powders to start with, in one cal. Read the recommendations in the manual. The process is fun as long as you follow the formulas and are safety concious. Oh, and maybe one of those inexpensive dial calipers to measure your cartridges as loaded size and case length is a safety issue too. You don't need alot of expensive electronic scales etc. to start out. Those just speed things up and are convenient, when the cost is justified.
Old April 15, 2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Lavid2002

Trimming

Im reading that cartridges get stretched out and require trimming....How many shots does it take to get to this stage? How much is a good trimmer? What does it do? Cut the case but how...with a motor or what?
My apologies im just SO ANXIOUSE TO GET STARTED!!! : D !!!
Old April 15, 2007, 10:35 PM   #8
mrawesome22

It depends on many factors how often cases will need to be trimmed. A trimmer can be either motorized or manual. They are around $60. But the best option to me is the Lee Cutter and Lockstud. You put the lockstud in a drill, put a case in the lockstud, then you turn on the drill and stick the cutter, which has a peg coming out of it, down in the case. The peg is cartridge specific and only lets the cutter go as far as it needs to. They are cheap too. Around $8 I think.
Old April 15, 2007, 10:38 PM   #9
rwilson452

Trimming

The answer is yes no maybe and it depends.

Low pressure straight wall cases such as the .45ACP don't stretch with normal loads. bottleneck cases will stretch. They will be stretched when you full length resize them. They will not be stretched as much of you neck size only. THe simplest cheapest method of trimming is with the Lee trimming stuff. it is vertually fool proof. Ok I guess a fool could mess it up if they treid ahard enough. I don't think highly of the lee chamfer tool it works but its too small for my ham hooks. If you get the Lee stuff, spend a few dollars more and get the cutter with the ball handle. you can do it by hand but I chuck the shell holder up in my cordless drill. A quick pull on the trigger and the case is trimmed.
Lee also makes a "zip trim" that takes a special shell holder. I give the "zip trim" a thumbs down.

How long it takes before the cases need to be trimmed depends on how hot your load is, if you neck or full resize and how hard or soft your brass is. You just need to measure your cases to ensure they are not overly long.
Old April 15, 2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Ohio Rusty

I'm just getting back into reloading after 25 years. I concur with what the other say about getting a good reloading manual or two. Lots of guidance and info you'll need in those books. The other great thing is your starting your reloading hobby in the age of the internet. I didn't have that. Today, if you search the 'net for the info you want, there is a ba-zillion pieces of information out there that will answer about any question you have. As you start reloading, you'll have new questions about shells, primers, bullets and powders, and these and other forums are fine places to get the info, either by asking, or searching the archives for the same question that has been asked before. I belong to 5 or 6 'net groups just to have access to the forums archives as there is literally tons of information in there posted by past members that is an instant on-hand problem fixer for me.
Ohio Rusty
Old April 16, 2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Lavid2002

ABC's

just bought a copy of ABC's of reloading.....any other suggestions?
Ill read them all
Old April 16, 2007, 09:19 PM   #12
Vinnie's Dad

I'm not sure if you know anyone who reloads, but this too would be a great resource for you. When I started reloading I had the opportunity to work with someone else. Seeing it in action helped me "get it" I also bought a dvd on reloading. I guess I am more of a visual learner
Old April 16, 2007, 09:56 PM   #13
mrawesome22

After I started reloading, about a year later I finally met someone else who reloaded. He lives very close to me and could have been a mentor to me. After talking to him a while, he told me he doesn't weigh powder charges for .308Win He just "Fills the case up with any powder until it's up to the neck." Some how, this guy has been reloading for years. Needless to say, I'm glad I did research for myself and didn't rely on someone else to teach me. I'll let you all know when this guy finally blows himself up.

Just because you meet someone who reloads doesn't mean they know what they are doing.
Old April 17, 2007, 01:44 AM   #14
T. O'Heir

It's a die, not a dye. Read the ABC's book again, then go have a look at an RCBS Beginner's Kit. It'll give you everything you need less dies and shellholder. It comes with a manual, but look into the Lyman book too. It gives you more loads with more bullet weights than the included manual does. There's nothing wrong with the included manual, but it comes from a bullet maker and only gives loads for that maker's bullets. Speer, I think.
"....243 or something like that..." You have one now or are you just leaning that way? The .243 is a dandy cartridge. It's one of the multi-use cartridges. It'll take deer sized game and black bears as well as varmints with the right bullet. You just need to know that there are varmint bullets and larger game bullets available. Varmint bullets are NOT suitable for deer or bear. Most light weight bullets are made for varmints(under 80ish grains), heavier(80 to 105 grains) for larger game. There's nothing that says you can't use a 105 on varmints. Mind you, the rifling twist will determine if the rifle will shoot heavier or lighter bullets best. Usually, but not always, a varmint weight barrel will be rifled for light bullets and a regular barrel weight for heavier bullets.
"...He just "Fills the case up with..." He's nuts and unsafe. His ammo likely shoots patterns instead of groups too. Good quality ammo needs to be loaded carefully.
Old April 17, 2007, 09:55 PM   #15
Lavid2002

o'heir i havnt read it yet its still shipping, i said i was new i dont know the difference haha ill study! thanks
Old April 17, 2007, 10:04 PM   #16
sasquatch

Lavid2002

Quote:
"Im reading that cartridges get stretched out and require trimming....How many shots does it take to get to this stage?"
Buy a good dial caliper and measure the length of each case. The reloading manual will tell you what the maximum length of any given case should be. Pay attention to this........it is important.

My experience with .30-'06 and .270 Win cases is that they approach their maximum length after 5 or 6 firings. I bought a case trimmer, but it is a total pain in the rump. Now I just throw the cases away when they approach their maximum length and buy once-fired cases on Ebay. Not expensive and a whole lot less work, trust me.
Old April 18, 2007, 04:08 PM   #17
Lavid2002

yeah thats what i was thinking about....if it takes 6 shots for a .243 or something to over-stretch how hard will it be to shave it down? And is it hard? Would i be better off just throwing them away at that point and buying new ones?
Old April 18, 2007, 04:26 PM   #18
rwilson452

I use the Lee case trimming set up with a cordless drill. For my varmint rifles I trim and chamfer every time. Necessary? Might not be but I'm real picky about evrything I do with my varmint rounds.
Old April 18, 2007, 05:14 PM   #19
CrustyFN

I also use a Lee trimmer chucked in a cordless drill. Seems fast enough to me but still a PITA if you have to do a lot. I just did 500 223 cases and it didn't take that long. You can also buy an RCBS X-Die and only have to trim one time for the life of the brass. I haven't used one yet but have heard a lot of good things about it. I will be buying a X-Die for 223 soon. As far as throwing brass away, that is a sin.
Rusty
Old April 18, 2007, 06:01 PM   #20
mrawesome22

Quote:
As far as throwing brass away, that is a sin.
LOL, no kidding! Why would you throw away a perfectly good piece of brass? It is very simple to "trim" brass. If it needed a shave, it's the wrong kind of brass LOL.
Old April 18, 2007, 06:23 PM   #21
Lavid2002

So what is this exactly it needs to be "shaved" so much that the running from a handheld drillg ets it in seconds?
Old April 18, 2007, 06:42 PM   #22
mrawesome22

Lavid, I'll take some pictures of me trimming some cases tomorrow and post them. Then you'll get it for sure. With the Lee system it takes about 5 seconds to trim a case.
Old April 18, 2007, 08:53 PM   #23
Lavid2002

Thanks! : )
My book will be here soon so ill study and stop the rediculouse questions : DTY GUYS! : D
Old April 19, 2007, 08:24 PM   #24
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Lavid,

A couple of other points as I reread the posts.

1. I think it's great that another person is entering the reloading world. But, based only on how you've been posting prompts me to say this: When you ready yourself to start reloading, calm down and relax. You need to stay sharp, focused, AND relaxed. Go slow. Even if it takes you a long time to do one single step. The speed will come naturally. Reloading is fun, but also a potential hazard to yourself if not paying close attention.

2. Don't ever think you're posting rediculous questions. If you don't know the answer, or can't seem to find the answer you think it might be, by all means, ASK. I'd rather see you get ribbed a little by us than you making a grave mistake.

I don't mean to be motherly to you or try to tell you what to do. I just see a young me when I read your posts. Ready and willin' is what I see. I'm only trying to convey that I want what's best for you even if you're a complete stranger...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 20, 2007, 03:05 AM   #25
aaalaska

started reloading at 14 long time ago,not much info around, read a lot if anything sounds wierd check it out before using,I would have given my eye teeth for half the info here today.lot of people here to answer any questions,don't go with I don't know but replies ,if you don't get an answer ask again,someone here knows ,a lot of experience is worth a lot,40 + years no real problems but thinking back scares the you know what out of me,good luck tight groups and welcome to the world of reloading,once you cross the line its hard to go back.