The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 23, 2024, 08:28 PM   #1
Tool

Best lower build kits for under $500

My goal is to build a decent AR-15 Lower Receiver Group with a total cost of ~$500. A little over is ok.

I'm complete newbie. So I would need a stripped lower as well as a build kits? What would be your recommendations?

For the stripped lower, I heard LMT is good, but they have so many choices and I don't know which one to choose from.

Many thanks.
Old May 23, 2024, 08:48 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

IMHO, a lower is a lower. Personally I steer clear of billet lowers and go mil-spec forged. I'm a big fan of aero precision personally as far as lowers go. BCM makes a solid lower as well. Id steel clear of colt or wilson combat, they left extra material in the receiver to make it difficult to install an auto sear. It can interfered with some aftermarket triggers as I found out the hard way.

Lower $100
Lower parts kit $50
Buffer tube assembly $70
Pistol grip $25
That leaves about 200 for a trigger, once you figure tax, shipping and all that.

For a trigger you could go mil-spec or enhanced for around $50, add in a JP spring kit for about $11 and you have a fairly nice mil-spec trigger.

Or you can go fancy, lots of options. the LARUE MBT2 for around $115 is a great trigger, you can catch them on sale for $100.

If you have "a little over" You might look at the AR-gold trigger, comes in about $250. It is an absolutely amazing trigger, it hurt to pay that much, but it was 100% worth it. Light, crisp, short pull, almost non existent reset.

Rise armament also makes a fantastic trigger, friend has one and its pretty close to as good as the ar-gold

Elftman makes a really nice trigger too.

IMHO the geissele is a rugged reliable duty trigger, but your paying a lot for a name, and it is not nearly as good as some of the other triggers listed.

really depends on what you want and what kind of shooting you plan to do with it.

Ok, Aero lowers are currently on sale through Midway usa, for 49.99 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022704650?pid=654062

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 23, 2024 at 09:07 PM.
Old May 23, 2024, 09:07 PM   #3
Tool

Wow, thank you so much for the incredibly helpful information. I think I now want to go a bit over :-)

How about this list?

- MARS-L stripped lower.
- AR-gold trigger
- 2a buffer tube
- B5 sopmod
- JP centerless spring
- BCM grip

What else would I need, besides the list above?

Many thanks for the link to the aero precision stripped lower. Is MARS-L worth the extra cost?
Old May 23, 2024, 09:15 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Wow, thank you so much for the incredibly helpful information. I think I now want to go a bit over :-)

How about this list?

- MARS-L stripped lower.
- AR-gold trigger
- 2a buffer tube
- B5 sopmod
- JP centerless spring
- BCM grip

What else would I need, besides the list above?

Many thanks for the link to the aero precision stripped lower. Is MARS-L worth the extra cost?
Did you mean JP silent capture spring system? head great things about it, never tried it myself. if you meant the tuned and polished centerless spring, I have one and like it quite well. I have found it to run well and be less noisy than traditional springs.

Buffer tube should be fine, just make sure you don't over pay. You should be able to get a full buffer system for around $50-70 depending on what you get. Tube, end plate, castle nut. Generally if you buy a set, you will get a spring and buffer included for the same price as buying the tube, end plate, and castle nut piece meal. looks something like this.https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025561278?pid=426651 you might find he silent capture system does not make as much difference as you think, and being able to compare to a standard system and having it as a backup would not be a bad thing, especially if its basically free.

Personally Im a fan of the magpul CTR stock, and the MOE-k grip. But grips and stock are 100% personal preference, get what you like.

Dont forget your basic lower build kit, springs and such. something like this as you are buying a trigger separate. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025170446?pid=736515

Also, you will have a couple roll pins to deal with, mainly the one for the bolt catch which can be a pain. I got this kit, it is cheap, but it has been very helpful on several ocassions. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and if you are undecided on a buffer/buffer weight, i would recommend the KAK modular system. You can do carbine, H1, H2, H3 and some stuff inbetween. Ifs a few extra dollars, but if you are looking to tune your system its a deal where you only have to buy once. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025731716?pid=673528

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 23, 2024 at 09:29 PM.
Old May 23, 2024, 10:57 PM   #5
Tool

I'm very grateful for the detailed information with links!

I like your recommendations very much and will follow through exactly most likely. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Tool; May 23, 2024 at 11:04 PM.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:46 PM   #6
Tool

So this shopping list will allow me to build a complete AR-15 lower receiver?

1. Aero Precision AR-15 Gen 2 Stripped Lower Receiver Anodized Black: $49.99

2. Aero Precision Receiver Extension Buffer Tube Assembly 6-Position Mil-Spec Diameter AR-15 H1 Aluminum Black: $68.39

3. Magpul CTR Collapsible Stock AR-15, LR-308 Carbine Polymer Black: $61.70

4. Magpul Pistol Grip MOE K2-XL AR-15 Polymer Black: $22.75

5. American Trigger Corp. AR Gold Trigger Group AR-15 Adjustable Two Stage Flat Shoe: $279.00

6. Wilson Combat AR-15 Small Parts Lower Receiver Parts Kit: $49.95

Last edited by Tool; May 24, 2024 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 24, 2024, 05:46 AM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:

2. Aero Precision Receiver Extension Buffer Tube Assembly 6-Position Mil-Spec Diameter AR-15 H1 Aluminum Black: $68.39

5. American Trigger Corp. AR Gold Trigger Group AR-15 Adjustable Two Stage Flat Shoe: $279.00

Yes, that would be everything you need to put a lower together

1. Actual lower
2. Buffer tube system
3. Stock
4. Grip
5. Trigger
6. Small parts spring kit

The list you have is what I would personally build if I were putting together a new lower with your budget and it would be what I would consider to be a very nice build. Keep in mind this is your build not mine or anyone else's, you are the one that needs to be happy with it when it is done. As long as you have parts # 1-6 the lower will work just fine when your done.

Good luck and happy building.
Old May 24, 2024, 06:00 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

Quote:

I have no experience with that trigger, other than that I’d say you’re on a good track. My go to triggers are Elftman, I have them in all four of my AR’s. Personally I’d just go with a complete rifle from Aeroprecision and add the trigger of your choice.
Old May 24, 2024, 01:11 PM   #9
Tool

Hi Shadow9mm, and jetinteriorguy,

Thank you so much for the information. This is incredibly helpful.

I hope this thread can help other newbies get started as well.