The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 2, 2015, 11:23 PM   #1
pluto2

First Bolt action rifle

Hey guys new to the forum,

I'm looking to buy my first bolt action rifle. hoping to target shoot out to 400+ yards.

Was hoping to find a custom-semi custom rifle vs a production gun.

Really like GAP but don't have the money.

Price range: 2k- maybe 3k without the scope
I like the .308 round and the 17 hmr round but haven't heard much success from others with the 17 at 400 yards.
Also like the Remington 700 receiver

Any ideas?

thanks a bunch
Old March 3, 2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Mobuck

First off, the 17 HMR is NOT a 400 yard round.
Second, I've been shooting for 50 years and I don't (nor have ever) own a rifle that cost over $500. You can spend whatever you want for a name(logo) but that won't make you or the rifle a good shooter. Price may increase the potential accuracy or dependability of a firearm but quite possibly not as much as might be expected.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:47 AM   #3
AllenJ

For the distance you are stating the 17 HMR is going to be woefully lacking, I'd go with the 308 Winchester. With 2-3k for the rifle only I would get a R700 (cheap new or used), custom barrel, Timney trigger, stock of your choice, then have a good gunsmith blue print the action, lap the lugs, and install the new barrel. Depending on what stock you choose this could easily put you in the 2-3k range. What type of glass are you thinking about?

Welcome to forum, lots of good information here and lots of people wanting to help.
Old March 3, 2015, 10:13 AM   #4
precision_shooter

If going custom/semi custom, why not start off with an action that is better than the Factory Remington?

In no certain order: Savage Target action, Surgeon, Stiller, Defiance, Allen Precision, Kelbly's, BAT, Pierce, Borden, Big Horn, Barnard, Badger...

If wanting to stick with Remington, do as suggested above. Buy a cheap rifle, then replace everything but the action with quality components of your choosing.

Or, just buy a Savage target series rifle and spend the extra money for Ammo and range time.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 3, 2015, 10:35 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

Or you can just try to find an Accuracy International in 308 and be done with it . By the time you wear that one out you know what you really want in custom, and they hold their value.
Old March 3, 2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Boncrayon

First Bolt action rifle

If you are looking for a 400 yd. shot, you will probably need a good scope to boot! 308's are popular, but I'd recommend a 30-06 because of its options in bullet grain weights...very versatile, and was the preferred sniper round for a while. Seems like you will be in the great open range at 400 yards though.

Remington, Winchester and Savage (and others) all offer great bold and trigger actions. You want need 2k for those basic proven models.
Old March 3, 2015, 02:50 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Hi. Forget the .17 HMR. It's a rimfire just like a .22 LR. With a 100 yard zero, a typical 20 grain bullet drops a tick over 100" at 400. That's a bit over 8 feet. And a 20 grain bullet will get blown away over there some place with the slightest breeze.
I'd re-think 'custom' for your first rifle too. You might end up spending 2 or 3 grand and find you don't like target shooting. Suggest you join the NRA and go to a bunch of matches and look at what rifles are being used in the discipline that jumps at you. You really need to try it out first.
Old March 3, 2015, 03:07 PM   #8
precision_shooter

I love spending other peoples money, but in all honesty, the best advice is this:
Quote:
I'd re-think 'custom' for your first rifle too. You might end up spending 2 or 3 grand and find you don't like target shooting. Suggest you join the NRA and go to a bunch of matches and look at what rifles are being used in the discipline that jumps at you. You really need to try it out first.
A good factory target rifle will let you build your shooting skills, fine tune the rifle, and change parts to get it to your liking. After a couple years of shooting it, you will have a very good idea of what it takes to be a good marksman, what type of equipment (Stock style, trigger, scope, etc) you like the most and be able to plan out a build with an informed opinion on what YOU like, not what some strangers on the internet like and think you should get because they like it...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 3, 2015, 05:03 PM   #9
eastbank

it depends what you want to shoot at 400yds. i have a stock 700rem-vls- 26" with a 6.5x20-50 target leupold scope in leupold dual dove tail rings and bases and with 43grs varget and 165 hornady A-MAX bullets and a bench rest that will shoot 4",s or less at 400yds if i do my part. and the same set up in.223 that will do the same if i can read the wind right. eastbank.