The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 26, 2000, 05:53 PM   #1
James E

Just got a this little revolver today. It is quite small for even a .38 caliber, has 4" barrel, square butt checkered wooden grips with Colt medalion. Does it have any collector value because of what's stamped on the grip back strap...AM. RY. EXP. Which probably means AMERICAN RAILWAY EXPRESS.
This piece only has about 50% of its bluing, however, its bore is perfect as well as the cylinder chambers. I was wondering if it has any collector value, or should I think about having it reblued.

James

------------------
Old June 27, 2000, 06:51 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

James E:
My records indicate that the Police Positive is externally the same as the New Police with the addition of the positive-lock feature and two new chamberings, the .38 New Police and the .38 S&W. they were manufactured from 1905-1947. Current Value $400.00-$100.00

POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL:
This model is similar to the Police Positive but has a slightly larger frame to accept the longer cylinder needed to chamber the more powerful cartridges, ie:.38 Special, in addition to the original chamberings. They were mfg'd from 1907-1973 with values $350.00-$100.00

As the New Police revolver, which is similar to both of the above was purchased by the NY police department and so stamped. But I don't have infomation of the stampings on your piece.

From your description I would assume that your piece is the Police Positive and not the Police Positive Special.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited June 27, 2000).]