The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 3, 2010, 06:47 PM   #1
breeze

Need help with how to change the hammer spring on a Double 9 W-104

I just got this Double 9 and the hammer does not sit tight against the gun. It occasionally missfires and I checked the spring, when I put pressure on it, it will close tightly. My guess is that someone tried to grind it or cut it down to lighten the pull? Are there any how to instructions for this? I have worked on several guns but not one of these. Thanks for any help.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:00 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You can get a spring from www.gunpartscorp.com for around $4.

I don't see disassembly instructions on the net, so here goes. First, look at the front of the frame and you will see a hole where the link pivot pin fits. Swing out the cylinder, then insert a punch into the hole, push back the link pin, and pull the crane assembly out sideways. Then let the link pin and spring come forward out of the frame.

Now unscrew the hammer pin and pull the trigger guard/grip down and out of the frame. The hammer is held in by a sleeve that the hammer screw goes through. You have to push that sleeve out, and the hammer, hammer spring guide and hammer spring will come out. It is a bit of a pain to get the hammer back in with the new spring, but there is nothing magic about it.

When reinstalling the link pin at the front, make sure the spring goes around the end of the cylinder stop and is not wedged in.

Jim
Old January 7, 2010, 07:58 PM   #3
breeze

Double 9

Thanks Jim, I have bought the spring. I do very much appreciate the info. Like I said, I have worked on several guns but I dont want to make a mistake that I will have to go back and figure out. Thanks again, TFL has always been the place to go for help. breeze (Bruce).
Old January 15, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4
breeze

dbl 9

I am getting ready to work on it now, wish me luck. Thanks again!