The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 24, 2013, 12:55 PM   #1
bikerbill

Starbucks protest

After reading about the Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America boycott of Starbucks today to pressure them to outlaw concealed carry in their outlets, my wife and I headed for the nearest one to have a coffee and see what was going on.

The quote from one of the moms in charge of the protest was basically that mothers needed to know their children might be standing in line next to somebody carrying a concealed handgun and warning of the dire consequences of such proximity. Of course, in Texas and many other states, that could apply to almost any business in town.

I asked the barista if she was aware of the protest; she asked if it was the one about no smoking on their patio. Didn't see any indication that their business was off. I asked her to pass on to the manager that we had stopped by to support the company's stand on such pressure, which is basically that Starbucks respects local laws and lives by them.

Anybody else visit Starbucks today? I'm guessing this boycott was a flop, but the outlet we visited was not in a big city, so maybe there's more going on in Austin than there was in Leander.
Old August 24, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
wally626

Stopped by and picked up a couple of drinks today. Do not go there much but seemed like a normal crowd.
Old August 24, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
lamarw

I don't believe their boycott will hurt Starbucks since I doubt "Mom's Against" (whatever this weeks slogan) have been or will be giving Starbucks business anyway.

Wife and I support Starbuck anytime we get to the big city which is at least once a week.
Old August 24, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4
dakota.potts

Starbucks doesn't want to be the center of a protest.

If you decide to go and support, be ultimately respectful and polite. A simple $2 tip and a "thanks for supporting rights" is even pushing it. Standing outside with signs, as I imagine the MDA group is doing, is way over the line for a company that wants to remain natural. We don't want to be them.
Old August 24, 2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
A simple $2 tip and a "thanks for supporting rights" is even pushing it.
I disagree. They've asked not to be put in the middle of a political fight, but a simple "hey thanks" would be a nice gesture. Either they'll appreciate it or they'll ignore it.

That's way different than marching around with signs suggesting folks boycott their business.
Old August 24, 2013, 03:32 PM   #6
dakota.potts

You are right, Tom. I don't mean to not give a "thanks for the support" but don't be a big showman about it or wave it in front of the protestors or anything as some are wont to do. It's ann in the handling of it, I think. The more it looks like a protest, the more uncomfortable the company will be with it.
Old August 24, 2013, 04:41 PM   #7
bikerbill

That was my intention when I asked the clerk to tell the manager we were supporters of their stand. My understanding is that the group is not picketing Starbucks (there were no pickets at the one I visited). Instead, they told their supporters not to patronize Starbucks today. The site where I saw the original story had a comments section, and about 200 people, all pro-2A, said they were planning to visit a Starbucks today. I'm guessing the company will have a big day.
Old August 24, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8
RBid

Starbucks protest

I was a Store Manager with them for six and a half years. I left in Feb, 2012. Most of my Facebook friends and cell contacts are past or present Starbucks family, so you could say I'm still pretty in touch.

As a company, the position has been to stay neutral on many things, and to defer to local law. Internally, it was obvious that there were many things unsaid. For example, we never did a corporate-driven program to support our troops. Internally, it was made very clear that we were welcome to do so. This is noteworthy, because the company can be very particular about every little detail inside the stores. By allowing us to deviate from the script, it was an unstated blessing, and many stores acted on it.

I suspect (strongly) that the choice to defer on the carry issue is a convenient way to support it.
Old August 24, 2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Kevin Rohrer

At this point, there are so many tiny little groups against this or that, those groups don't realize that no one pays any attention to them. Ignore them and they will go away to find something new to complain about.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old August 24, 2013, 11:45 PM   #10
Dashunde

I wonder what percentage of Starbucks employees hates guns, 2A and CC.
Old August 24, 2013, 11:56 PM   #11
Tom68

Starbucks protest

What a timely thread. I am sitting in Starbucks at this moment, at a large military installation in the Middle East. No need to discuss such matters with the staff here though: I doubt the third county nationals who operate the place are very familiar with our cause back in the USA.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:55 AM   #12
RBid

Starbucks protest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashunde View Post
I wonder what percentage of Starbucks employees hates guns, 2A and CC.
There are far more 2A supporters with Starbucks than most people think. The stereotype of baristas (even the ones who look the part) is way off. Many of them are very big on personal freedom, and the PNW (where Starbucks was born) happens to have a very high rate of ownership. WA has something like 1-in-15 adults with CHLs, while OR has a higher rate of ownership, but 1-in-20 rate of carriers. Those rates are above the national averages.

Not bad for Dem states, right?