The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 22, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
RedBowTies88

Need to be Enlightened on SKS Magazines.

I can absolutely POSITIVELY not own an SKS with a "detachable" magazine in the people's republic of NJ.

My question is, how do the aftermarket mags fit? Can they bit fitted in a similar way to the factory mag so that it would be non removeable without tools or rifle dissassembly?
Old January 22, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Hairbag

I'm confused lol whats wrong with using the factory mags ? Just load it from the top with stripper clips or did NJ pass some stupid law recently. If you don't have a factory 10rd mag anymore start looking on ebay AAH, now i know why they are getting $30 for factory 10rd sks mags on ebay I was wondering. Aftermarket mags for the sks usually suck anyway. While your looking for a factory sks mag better start looking for stripper clips too!

Last edited by Hairbag; January 22, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

I'm with Hairbag. The original SKS was built with an attached magazine, and with all the nonsense going on today I would keep my rifle in its original (non-ebr) form as long as possible.

(I don't mean that there is anything wrong with an EBR, I have one. It's just that if I had an SKS, I'd keep it as an SKS)
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 22, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4
RedBowTies88

Looking for 5 more rounds...

Bad enough I'm limited to 15 here, but I would at least like to get as much capicity without breaking NJ's stupid laws.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Hairbag

wow, I thought NJ would be down to at least 10 by now. Even if there was a fixed 15rd mag for the sks I would doubt that it would be stripper clip friendly. Your better off with the factory mags w/clips than a fixed 15rd that you can't can't remove. You can just keep re-loading from the top w/clips. Some pratice and you will get pretty good at it.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
RedBowTies88

I was under the impression that a lot of the aftermarket mags could still utilize the stripper clips?

I suppose I was mistaken?
Old January 22, 2013, 02:00 PM   #7
seanc

In your situation, the original 10 round fixed mag with stripper clips will be your best bet. With a little practice with stripper clips, you'll never miss the extra 5 rounds you're wishing to get.

The Tapco 20 round mags are excellent. Anyone making a blanket statement about all SKS after market mags is simply wrong.

There are Chinese Star mags which are a fixed 20 round mag. I suppose you could modify one to only accept 15 rounds, but why take a legal risk with that and also possibly mess with the inherent reliability of the standard magazine.

Lastly, you can use stripper clips with aftermarket mags, but after the 1st 10 rounds are pushed in, the bolt wants to go into battery since the bolt-hold open is pushed down. Also, if you had a 15 round mag, you'd get the 1st 10 round stripper clip in and then jamb up your thumb on the 2nd when you bottom out after 5 rounds. I've used stripper clips with 20 round mags and it's awkward at best, but most likely just plain dangerously clumsy.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:55 PM   #8
stu925

Factory SKS 10 round mags work great. I'm in the leave it alone crowd. If the SKS you're looking at is a 5 round aftermarket mag, go over to the SKS boards and find you a factory 10 rounder. Love my SKS and don't feel that the 10 round mag is a hinderance.

Stu
Old January 22, 2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Heavy Metal 1

I had 2 30rd mags (2 SKSs) & I tired of them rapidly. Makes the gun awkward to handle and you can't get prone w/ it. PITA to load. The stock 10 rd w/ strippers is easy.