The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 27, 2006, 09:42 PM   #26
enikkor

My response.

I would close the garage door from my car and ran quickly inside the house.
I will lock the door behind me and observe. If the car does not move back I may call 911 and prepare with pistol at hand. If somebody try to get inside
the house, I think you are entitled to use force. I think for you to shoot,
there has to be immediate danger to yourself. If they try to open the garage
door and rob my car, that it fine with me since I have already called 911
and they are not going to be far. I will only shoot when I can identify the
person, and they are going in to hurt.
Old September 28, 2006, 02:05 AM   #27
KD5NRH

Well, let's see - it's a 250+yd gravel driveway, and nobody's going to keep up with me on it if they're blacked out, so I've got a bit of time; call SWMBO, and have her waiting with a 12ga in hand, and let her call the Sheriff while I cut the lights and bail for the trees where they'll have to pass close enough for me to get a good look. It also means that if they get out, they're flanked by two unseen combatants - one in the dark with a pistol and Surefire, and one in the house with artillery and control of some nice bright lights. I feel safe in waiting for their next move at that point.

If we really want them scared, the landlord lives next door, and will respond quite loudly to somebody sneaking that close to his barn.
Old September 28, 2006, 03:26 PM   #28
Nigelcorn

AzureFly, I understand what you are saying about detracting from the post instead of benefitting it, but I don't feel that either WA or myself did that, as you said. I said that I thought that firing on another car just for pulling in behind you was a bad idea, which it un-arguably is. I then said what I would do in that situation. I may be fairly new at this, but it seems to me that Doug asked for an opinion on what others would do in this situation. I am perfectly justified in saying what I would do, including saying that at least one of his suggestions was something that is not wise (or legal) to do. If you don't agree with somebody's opinion, maybe you should post one of your own instead of just insulting those that do post their opinion (even if their opinion is "sarcastic").