The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2005, 12:09 PM   #1
dgc940

22-250

What premium type bullet would be devastating on hogs and small deer in 22-250? at 100 yds? bear claw partition fail safe ect ect.

Don
Old October 25, 2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Dave Haven

The Nosler partition should work well.
Old October 26, 2005, 06:56 AM   #3
9mm1033

Are you sure you want to use a 22-250 on hogs and deer at 100 yards? The smallest rifle caliber I've used on deer was a 243. Never shot a hog, but I've read where 357 rifle is the minimum size for hog hunting.
Old October 26, 2005, 08:14 AM   #4
Greybeard

A year or four ago, buddy in TX Panhandle shot both a doe and buck, one right after the other, at around 180 yards in his corn field with his 22-250.
Used same Wally World soft points as used regularly on praries dogs. Both dropped in their tracks.

But ... he had a good brace and hit 'em both in the neck. (Lots of practice on prarie dogs). So yea, with good shot placement, the premo bullets (or otherwise) would certainly do it. However, most deer (or hog) ain't gonna stand there like these 2 fat and happy corn-fed critters did and let ya take your time for a head or neck shot.

I notice ya in Graham TX - and am familiar with the typical size deer in those parts, some not a whole lot bigger than a jack rabbit. :-)

So, before ya get flamed by those in other parts of the country with "real deer", yea, the .22-250 with a premo bullet would probably do it at 100 yards. But they ain't necessarily ideal for DRT or DPC (dead pretty close). With heart/lung shot, they may run for quite some distance, especially a hog - which may or may not leave much of a blood trail.
Old October 26, 2005, 08:26 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Personally, I'm down on the hot .22s for deer and such. But, were I to use one, I'd load with bullets around 70 grains or so, specifically wanting those intended for heavier animals.

I'd go for neck or head shots, not wanting the chance of a small bullet breaking up on bone during entry. I sure don't want an animal getting away, to die where I couldn't find it.

Art
Old October 26, 2005, 08:54 AM   #6
dgc940

I was going to use it for my Doe tag and was going to head shoot.
Old October 26, 2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Greybeard

Crazy neighbor that used to live across the street had a Ruger #1 in .17 Remington that he used for head shots on deer. Bragged about a "2 in 1" shot. Killed one and wounded another on the far side ... :barf:

Same neighbor owned a '67 Cougar "Eliminator" that he got out of the garage when he needed to "get sideways" ... Kinda like his light, hyper-velocity bullets, pretty cool to look at and great for some circumstances, but also real irresponsible when he decided to light up the tires in the neighborhood ... Can't say that I miss that guy ...
Old October 26, 2005, 11:58 AM   #8
ClarkEMyers

None

None - unless by small deer you mean the varmints that are the proper game for the .22-250.

Granted everything from the .17 up has been known to occasionally perform well out its proper weight class. IMHO the 6mm class is still little light for game animals in the sense that if you use one long enough it will eventually fail to meet expectations.

I might hunt deer myself with a .22-250 if it was all I had - and with a proper hunting not varmint scope and so on and so forth but I would definitely be a little sheepish about it and pick my shots. No doubt a better choice than a .577/.600/.700 but still a poor choice.
Old October 26, 2005, 12:51 PM   #9
20cows

I have friend who has been very successful on both hogs and deer with his 22-250. Though it wouldn't be my first choice, it was his. The animals he's taken haven't argued much about it.
Old October 26, 2005, 01:33 PM   #10
kingudaroad

My son's first 4 deer were killed with a 22-250.Worked very well with one shot kills into vitals, except one he gutshot and had to fire another. I have somewhat of a problem with headshots because a slight miss could wound the animal in such a way that it lives long enough to starve to death. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.
Old October 31, 2005, 09:24 PM   #11
publius

1.Barnes x
2.Fail Safe
3.Trophy bonded bear claw or partition.

These are in order of the barnes being the best, still an iffy propisition.
Old November 1, 2005, 12:30 PM   #12
Foxman

Perfect excuse to buy another rifle, say 243 win. This will also shoot Nosler ballistic tip 65gr at just on 4000fps so a good varmint round too and 85-95gr bullets for deer etc.
I have shot small deer with22-250 and 60 gr Barnes X and Nosler partition and got good clean heart shot kills out to 150yds, wouldn't use it past that though.
I wonder what excuse I can dream up to buy another rifle!!!!!!!!
Old November 1, 2005, 08:18 PM   #13
roy reali

Not In The Golden State

The bullets from a .22-250 would just bouce off of our deer. I doubt that they would even break hide.
Old November 1, 2005, 09:19 PM   #14
dgc940

Not In The Golden State

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bullets from a .22-250 would just bouce off of our deer. I doubt that they would even break hide.

At a hundred yards or less? with a premiem bullet?
Old November 1, 2005, 09:33 PM   #15
dgc940

Another thing I dont understand is we cleaned two hogs we traped about 150 lbs each and shot them in the head with 22 lr at three foot droped like a rock stone dead! wouldnt a 22-250 have just as much energy with a good barns x bullet or nosler partition at 40-75 yds? Thats where Ive seen most 140-165lb deer from my stand during pre season watching. also Every one says practice with a paper plate wow! Ive been hitting silhouette chickens at 300yds for six months now. so sighting in at 50yds and shooting at 50-100 should be no problem I would say. I have been reading on this fourm for a while now and have seen a lot of these threads where the oppinions are split 50-50. well Ive got to go now me and my dads going squirrel hunting with our 22-250's hope it will kill them!
Old November 1, 2005, 10:01 PM   #16
Harley Quinn

Right bullet, right placement, standing still, OK... But

On the hogs I have a little bit of trouble but it could be done. No mistake...

I had a friend who only went hunting with his 220 swift. Great shot knew what,where and when, never got buck fever. If those are the conditions I would say go for it on the smaller doe's.

You should really be able to hit varmits and rabbits and squirrls with it most of the time, that way you are going to be able to hit where you aim.

If you go for the boiler room (heart and lungs) I think you will do well.
If they are on the move and you are not going to be able to get the right placement I would not shoot.

Harley
Old November 1, 2005, 10:23 PM   #17
roy reali

Guess Which One

Many years ago, I saw an interesting article in a shooting publication. Don't ask, it was some time ago and I do not remember which magazine.

They took a steel plate. They shot at it with three different cartridges. One was a .270 with a soft tip hunting bullet, another was a .30-06 with full metal jacketed bullet, the third was a standard factory .22-250 with a varmint bullet.

Guess which was the only round to completely pierce the metal plate? I'll give you a hint, the .22-250. The range I go to has a silhouette range. Centerfire .22's are not allowed. They put holes through the targets. Other rounds like .270's, 308's, .30-06, and so forth will not.

So, a bullet that can pierce steel can not penetrate a deer?
Old November 1, 2005, 10:45 PM   #18
Harley Quinn

Roy I know what you are talking about I use to do those

test's myself and they are truly putting holes in the steel. But and here is the crux, the heat generated by the velocity of the 50 grain bullet is what is making the hole then the bullet and the metal all goes to the other side.

I have seen and heard stories of about everything taken with them. Yes I do believe I could do it under all the right circumstances or even some wrong circumstances but to be honest that particular round is not called the Varmiter for nothing.
When they developed that round that is what they had in mind, shooting varmits, prairie dog and such. So the recoil was not so much to have them fall out of the scope when in recoil mode. 243 and 6 mm are good for varmits and small deer but the recoil is a little more and then you are not able to see the varmit take the shot. Or where it hit when it missed.

I own a 22-250 Howe with a 10 power weaver attached, wrong scope and wrong bullet for deer. Sure if I was packing that and had tags I would probabley shoot if I had a shot.
Would I go out with that gun set to shoot deer? NO. But my friend with the 220 swift would.

Harley
Old November 4, 2005, 07:53 AM   #19
Jack O'Conner

22-250 has a slower twist than .223 and typically does not stabilize the longer/heavier bullets very well. Same issue with 220 Swift.

But the Barnes X 52 grain bullet is designed for big game. I've witnessed antelopes felled as if struck by Thors hammer when this little but deadly bullet struck.
Jack
Old November 5, 2005, 02:08 PM   #20
Foxman

A lot of factory 22-250s have a 1-14 twist which as JO'C says will not stabilise bullets over 55 grs. Mine has a 1-12 twist barrel and will stabilise up to 70gr bullets. I always go for the engine room with the 60 gr Berger and although I dont really use it for other than opportunity shots on deer, it has killed all of them consistently out to 150 yds and not one has run, due to the extensive wound damage. In fact the draw back is the meat damage done and my preference even to my 243 which has taken a great many deer over the last 25yrs, is the 6.5 swede which with 140gr bullet gives one shot kills, great accuracy and minimal meat damage due to lower velocity. But I have definite soft spot for the 22-250 "varminter".
Old November 8, 2005, 12:55 PM   #21
jaymag

dgc940 whatever!

22-250 bounce off a deer!Do you have a clue how fast a 22-250 goes.It can easily take a deer down no problem.Any soft nose or hollow point.The 22-250 is really made for wildcats,at far ranges.Look at ballistic tests and practice with your gun.It's the only way to tell.I would rather my 30-06 but choose your poison.dgc940 should learn about high powered rifles. a22 lr can kill a deer if placed right.
Old November 8, 2005, 06:24 PM   #22
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

J-O-K-E, jaymag.

, Art
Old November 8, 2005, 07:56 PM   #23
VirgilCaine

I think we all can agree that the bullet is too small and too fast. However, up here freezers are filled with a .22 mag and a flash light after dark. I don't poach, but many up here do, and a .22 mag is the round of choice.

I have an old Remmy 788 in 22-250, and thought I would try it out on whitetails a few years back. I smoked a 160lb Doe @ 75yds with a 55gr BarnesX. I put the shot low, behind the shoulder, and she jumped then ran another 75yds and piled up.

I wasn't happy with the performance, but she was recovered, peeled, and wrapped. Neck shots should do the trick. My Mini 14 proved that.

Good luck this year Brothers & Sisters
Old November 8, 2005, 09:21 PM   #24
impact

dgc940 if you can make the shot a 22-250 will work just fine. Hell I know a girl that uses a 222 and takes deer every year. Neck or double lung shot! Don't try to make a shoulder shot. Also a neck shot near the base of the skull works good.

I know people who lost deer shooting a 300 winchester mag on these little Texas white tails. Shot placement is everything.
Old November 9, 2005, 10:01 AM   #25
dgc940

I took one with it opening day no problem at all about 70 yds.

Last edited by dgc940; November 9, 2005 at 12:23 PM.