The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 2, 2016, 09:18 PM   #1
Reloader7786

IDPA Holster for S&W SSR

Good Evening,

I'm new to IDPA, and recently bought a S&W SSR, I need to pick up a holster for it. I was looking at the Safariland 5181 as the 586 that most recommend doesn't come in an SSR variant. I'll also order some speed loaders from Safariland, then buy some generic pouches or use a vest pocket.

Functionally I've used the 5181 before and I really liked it.

Anyone see any issues with it meeting IDPA requirements before I "pull the trigger" and place the order ?
Old January 2, 2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Jim Watson

One word... Plastics.
I used the 5181 until I was introduced to Kydex.
I have mostly Ready Tac holsters but also Master Tac and prefer the Master Tac speedloader carriers.
http://cpwsa.com/collections/revolver-gear
http://www.master-tac.com/mdse.html
Disclosure: I shoot with both makers and support local craftsmen.
There are other good brands.

Get good open top speedloader carriers, don't cut corners with cheap pouches or a pocket. You draw the gun once per stage but may pull a speedloader two or three times.
Old January 3, 2016, 04:54 PM   #3
MrBorland

Jim's got it. For IDPA, absolutely go with an OWB kydex holster. ReadyTac makes a good one. I took a look at a MasterTac holster at the Alabama State match once, and was impressed. CompTac used to make a good L-frame holder, but I don't see it listed on their website any longer. No worries, though, as ReadyTac and MasterTac are excellent holsters.

As far as speedloader holders, the holder has to cover the body of the speedloader. ReadyTac makes good ones. I've seen BladeTech's used as well. MasterTac's holder looks like the BladeTech. The Mac Daddy holder is made by North Mountain. Whichever you choose, buy 3. As Jim eluded to, revolver shooters live and die by the reload, so don't rely on retrieving them from your vest or pocket. Put 2 in front of your holster, and the 3rd on your weak side, just behind the centerline of your leg.

In addition to Safariland CompIII speedloaders, look into Jetloaders. I prefer JLs since the body of the speedloader is a wee bit smaller, giving you a wee bit more room in a pretty tight space. JLs also don't have a shroud around the spring, and I've seen CompIIIs hang up if crud gets in & around the shroud. I've seen a number of people use a dremel tool to remove the CompIII shroud. Seems easier to just buy JLs up front. Whichever you buy, buy 3 to put in the holders, and also buy a CompII. Stick this one in your vest pocket and use it to load and make ready at the line.

Tags
equipment , idpa