The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 12, 2012, 08:01 PM   #1
blueovelwookie

Where is the ammo?

I want a thumper, 450 bushmaster, 50 beowulf are the two choices in contention. I do not reload, and ammo seems to be scarce at best. The 450, ammo is made by hornaday and remington. Has remington quite production of there ammo? The 50, alaxender arms and underwood ammo are the only manufactures that i can find.
So, should i go with a nother caliber like the 308 or 6.5 creedmoor?
Old December 12, 2012, 08:33 PM   #2
djcantr

If I wanted firearms chambered in those calibers I would reload for them. I suspect that with ammo manufacturers struggling to keep up with demand that they are focusing on manufacturing the best selling loads.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Mobuck

Both of those are what I'd call "specialty cartridges". Generally, low demand items will be the first to get pushed to the back burner. At this point, it's already too late to begin stockpiling unavailable ammo. My AR stable is diversified with 5.45 and two choices of .30 caliber besides the 5.56/223. Since I have heavy hitters in bolt action rifles, I'm not expecting the AR to cover that requirement.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Technosavant

I have a .450 Bushmaster.

All the ammo I have for it is Hornady; I have dies, I just have yet to load any for the thing. I have never seen any Remington ammo in the caliber... while it's theoretically made, I've just never seen it in stock anywhere at any time.

IMO, though, of the thumper calibers, the .450 is likely to be the one with the best ammo availability of the three. Hornady is usually in stock at online vendors and some brick and mortar shops. The .458 SOCOM has the most choices in bullets if you reload, but finding brass can be a challenge. The .50 Beowulf has just seemed to be a combination of the factory ammo selection of the .458 and the reloading choices of the .450.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Xfire68

Please don't be offended when I say that anyone that buy's calibers that are hard or impossible to find but CAN find the components and choose not to reload are a bit crazy.

The money saved on those calibers alone would be reason enough to reload.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:41 PM   #6
ripnbst

Yeah you should really look into loading. Why don't you?

Don't leave out the .458 SOCOM.