The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 22, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1
BillyJoeBubbaBob

Savage 110 Tactical FTSS .308win.

I've owned this rifle for 20 years and was interested if any of the forum members had come across one. It's a distributor's exclusive from Banger's, in Birmingham, AL. I'm not sure how many were made but it was a limited number. It has a 20" fluted stainless steel bull barrel on a pillar bedded synthetic stock. It also came in .223. Right out of the box, it was a tack driver. A sales rep, for Banger's, said they were intended to be sold to police departments, as sniper rifles. I had read, around that time, that some departments were taking heavy barreled Remington 700s and Winchester Mod. 70s, having the barrels cut back to 20 inches and putting them on McMillian stocks, so they were easier to maneuver in urban environments. A few years after I bought the rifle, I noticed that similar rifles were becoming stock items for Remington, Savage, FN, etc.

Old August 22, 2011, 12:35 AM   #2
bamaranger

handled one

I was in a shop in N. Alabama, about 20 yrs ago and the owner showed me a 20" heavy bbled Savage .308, similarly marked. I do not remember it being stainless fluted bbl. , but rather a blued or a matte finish, carbon w no flutes.
Old August 22, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
BillyJoeBubbaBob

Sounds like a Savage Mod. 10FP LE. They were Savage's first cataloged 20" bull barreled rifle. They came out 2 or 3 years after I got mine.
Old April 21, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4
carp396

Savage 110 tactical 110

I just bought a rifle identical to yours at a pawn shop for 350.00. Can you give me an idea of what they are worth? Mine has leupold mount and a Busnell banner scope. Just wondering how I did. Hope it shoots as good as yours.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Leo16

Savage 110 tactical s/s

Hi guys. New member here and I'm enjoying the forum.

I know this is an old thread but this is the only place I have found any info on this model Savage. Even my local dealer had no clue about it.

I picked a rifle up identical to this from a friend a couple weeks ago for 350 w/ optics. It shoots great, far better than I'm able to shoot. My original plan was to get a 110 and do a few things to it , a custom stock and such but this rifle realy doesn't need much. Honestly, I'm afeaid to mess with it untill I find out what I have.

If anyone has come across anymore info on this rifle I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Old December 9, 2012, 07:36 PM   #6
FALPhil

BillyJoeBubbaBob, thanks for posting that, especially the picture of the group. I assume it was shot at 100 yards. If so, it lays waste to the notion that you need a short action to get accuracy. I have short action Remingtons that don't deliver that kind of accuracy. I do have a Savage long action in 300WM that shoots about like that, however.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:50 AM   #7
hooligan1

Now that Savage is a shooter, like most Ive shot, your lucky to have one man..
Old March 29, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8
BillyJoeBubbaBob

Ordered it through a dealer. Got a flyer from Bangers and the rifle was listed, on clearance, $299. A comparable rifle, today, would retail for just under $1K. The group was shot at 100 yds., with Remington 168gr. BTHP Match ammo.
Old August 22, 2014, 01:36 PM   #9
quick6

I have one exactly like yours I bought back in the 90's also but slightly modified. Bought it in Hoover, AL. Shoots just as good as you have shown.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 201403181.jpg (152.3 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg 201403182.jpg (182.6 KB, 456 views)
Old August 22, 2014, 03:06 PM   #10
precision_shooter

I have a Savage model 10P-SR. It has an 18inch heavy barrel with threaded muzzle and 5R rifling. Chambered in .308. Love that rifle!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 1, 2015, 10:28 PM   #11
Jscootermac

I'm aware that this is an old thread, but there is absolutely no info on this gun. Has anyone came up with a value for this gun.This one is a 308.I did variety that this gun came through Bangers in 1996.
Old November 1, 2015, 11:50 PM   #12
wpsdlrg

I have a Savage model 10P-SR in .308, that I just got a couple of weeks ago. It has the Accutrigger and the Accustock. I have a 4 - 12 x 40 Vortex scope on it. 18" heavy barrel. That little thing is one heck of a shooter. I lucked out and found an excellent load for it, the first time out. It will produce groups smaller than 2" at 200 yards (as far out as I have gone with it, as of yet).

I also have an old Savage 110 FP, marked "Tactical". 26" heavy barrel. I am in the process of making it over into a semi-long range target rifle (with a laminated/ glass-bedded stock, free-floating barrel, high magnification target scope and better trigger). So far, it shows great promise (2" groups at 300 yards, even in the original plastic stock).

In both cases, I am willing to bet that these rifles would do better right now, with someone more skilled than I behind the trigger.

What great rifles ! I have become a real Savage enthusiast, as of late. How could I not be ?
Old March 26, 2021, 01:16 AM   #13
BillyJoeBubbaBob

Finally got an answer from Savage. It only took 26 years. The rifles were built in 1995, and there were just 350 of the .308 Win.