The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 24, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1
bushmaster65

tell me im wrong...

Please look at this listing and tell me that some idiot that works for this guy
did the listing. NOT that some poor slob is being set up to receive a firearm illegally through the mail.
This remy has ALL 3 conversion cylinders. That means it is no longer a BP but a modern cartridge firearm right?!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=326734561
Old January 24, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2
straight-shooter

If he ships the gun in a separate package from the conversion cylinders than basically there's no legality issue involved here. It would be able to go right to the buyers door in this fashion.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:01 PM   #3
bushmaster65

lord that's one hell of an (IF)..
I sent him a PM just in case.
There's just something about that listing that doesn't set well with me though.
Gets my spidey sense tinglin...
Old January 24, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
mykeal

Not sure what you're reading into this. He states FFL not required, which is correct if the cylinders are shipped separately from the gun. If they're shipped together the violation is the shipper's, not the receiver's, so I don't see that anyone is being 'set up'.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:30 PM   #5
BCarp

It's not illegal to directly ship the pistol (minus cylinders) and cylinders separately to the buyer. It's up to the buyer to then adhere to his state/local laws.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6
brazosdave

hell, Bushy buy it!
Old January 24, 2013, 06:57 PM   #7
woodnbow

Well, youre not wrong but two things leap to mind. 1, is it really your concern? 2, I REALLY appreciate you posting this so the maximum number of people can see the listing and bid against me... Thanks, really, you're too kind and thoughtful...

On second thought, I'm thinking YOU work for the guy...
Old January 24, 2013, 08:02 PM   #8
deerslayer303

Wood, no need to get bent. I'll bet if you post an auction on here that you are bidding on, the good folk here WOULD NOT bid again ya!! I know I wouldn't now BUY THAT THANG!
Old January 24, 2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Willie Sutton

You can send the cylinders with the black powder frame and the black powder cylinder installed without any problem. Installation is the manufacturing of a firearm part, and that's perfectly legal for anyone to do. There's no prima-facia crime involved that the BATF would worry about (like shipping a short barrel and a semi-auto Uzi together in the same box, IE: Constructive Posession of a NFA Weapon), so... it's just what it is. A black powder replica (legal) and conversion cylinders (legal).

I am not sure the OP is doing anyone any favors by highlighting this information for all to see though... Maybe Ms. Feinstein will read this and run to close another "loophole". Why don't you think before posting perhaps?

Willie

Old January 25, 2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Old Dragoon

The frame has not been altered, so the gun is basically is still a bp gun, all responders are right that the pistol can be shipped legally if the cylinders are packaged separately. You have to phyically alter the frame(Loading Groove) to be outside the law to sell. Been there, done that, Sold and bought one or more like seller's but were shipped separately from cylinder. Even here in Commiefornia.
BTW that is a good price right now for the frame and the cylinders. But I wouldn't bid against someone if I knew who they were, just ain't the cowboy way.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:05 PM   #11
pnolans

Yeah, I agree what Deerslayer says; I won't bid on it...

Why, I think that thing is FUGLY.

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:16 PM   #12
woodnbow

Not bent at all Deerslayer... just looking for a deal!
Old January 25, 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Old Dragoon

pnolans,
FUGLY???
Have you ever shot one? Dasn't has to be PURTY, to shoot wheres you aim it.
Didn't read far enough to see who the maker is, don't care. in the right hands these things point and shoot pretty darn good.

I prefer the old ASP(Armi San Paolo), or the Euroarms (Armi San Paolo was Euroarms, before the move to Bressica), Remy's which are not based on the 58 Remy NMA, but the earlier Remington - Beals Elliot's Transition to the NMA. A smaller frame. It fits my small hands almost as nice as a '51 Colt Navy does.

This particular model is taken from the 2nd of 3 Remington - Beals frames used in producing the Elliot's Transition to NMA Models. All were used in the last 6 months before the Remington NMA was introduced. The factory was busy instituting all the changes that the Army and Navy wanted and using all the parts on hand. The Original Remington - Beals frame was flat at the breech and is the 1st (original R-B Frame)type used. The second frame has just the barest of relief at the breech. The third frame is exactly like the Remington NMA, with the exception that it is still the smaller Remington - Beals frame. All three Models had the NMA type Hammer and Sail on the loading lever.

I will grant you this, the Remy is not as Purty as the Colt 1860 Army, but a helluva lot easier to reload, especially is you have extra cylinders ALA The Pale Rider Duel which was a Remy Conversion with a few extra cylinders. BP cylinders swap out just as quickly, but you do have to cap them.....for safety's sake.

Last edited by Old Dragoon; January 25, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:57 PM   #14
deerslayer303

I like em ALL! No the Remington is no where as purdy as the 1860 but the dang thing shoots great. My '58 pietta shoots just as good as the ROA I had. Granted I had to do some file work on the front sight to get it where I wanted it at the distances I shoot at. But I like FUGLY guns too. I have a nagant revolver if that tells you anything. Shoot a Remington and I'll bet you can get by her ugliness. Besides UGLY GIRLS TRY HARDER
Old January 25, 2013, 07:08 PM   #15
pnolans

I don't REALLY think they're FUGLY.

I was just trying to support woodnbow's hope that no one else would bid on it.

Kind of like me telling people Colorado is a horrible place to live, don't consider moving here.

I put a wink on there! Sheez. hahahah

Dude wants his gun. I shan't stand on the tracks.

Pat

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:08 PM   #16
North East Redneck

I think the gun is just fine. Love '58s. That's a good deal woodnbow. Knowing that a member on here had his eye on it, I wouldn't go near it. Good luck. Hope you get it.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:37 PM   #17
BerdanSS

All legality aside, my god that's one ugly and awkward looking little Remington. I'll stick with open tops thank you.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:39 AM   #18
Hawg

Those are some butt ugly grips and that front sight ought to make a good gut hook for skinning deer.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:31 AM   #19
woodnbow

Y'all are stand up cowboys... Hope I win the fugly gun.. And I'll request he ship in two containers Bushy, Thanks!
Old January 26, 2013, 11:54 AM   #20
deerslayer303

^^ Wood, don't pay attention to the haters like HAWG, he is just set in his ways nothing wrong with an 1858! I love my sheriff. Shoots great. Good luck!
Old January 26, 2013, 12:04 PM   #21
Hawg

I don't hate Remingtons. I just like them the way they came originally with long barrels. You have to admit that those are some ugly grips and don't come close to being a good fit.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:06 PM   #22
deerslayer303

Yeah I'm not a fan of the grips, I was wondering where the seller would actually get something like that to even remotely fit the frame. They are some type of plastic I would imagine.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:13 PM   #23
Old Dragoon

Evidently Hawg never saw any of my Gunslinger Remy's I built BEFORE Pietta and Uberti decided to build the Sheriff's models. Like to think all the chatter about the Gunslinger's caused that to happen.

Hawg is right the 5 1/2 inch Remy's never were built that way at the factory, but I bet that some got cut down during the conversion heyday.

Easier to clear leather with a shorter barrel. Have I ever Seen a Cut down original? Only one comes to mind, but a lot of modified Remy originals out there.

There is a place for them all.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:18 PM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg is right the 5 1/2 inch Remy's never were built that way at the factory, but I bet that some got cut down during the conversion heyday.
I know some were indeed cut down. Full length is just my preference.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
woodnbow

You guys have "talked" this over before haven't you?! LOL you guys are great!