The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 31, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Shane Tuttle
Staff

A Visit to CheaperThanDirt!'s Dallas Area's Store

While being stuck here in Ft. Worth for a few days, I ended up going to CTD's store here. This is my experience...

Walked in and was greeted shortly after by a nice young lady busily cleaning the showcase glasses. Took note of that. Stopped for a moment. Looked around the general area. It was basically spotless. Even the surplus stuff in the back was in neat order. Walked over to their gun counter and again was greeted shortly after. Happened to come across the new Remington R1. After performing a cursory inspection, I have to say that's one nice 1911 variant for the price. I honestly don't see where the gripes are coming from regarding fit/finish and such. It's a $650 1911 with what I believe could fetch for much more and still be competitive. Gentleman behind the counter must have spent over 20 minutes with me on the R1, giving a crash course on the Beretta 92, Sig 22(6?), and allowed me to handle a Wilson Combat (I don't need to extoll the virtues of this work of art, now do I?). I'm just starting to window shop for a new knife. Another salesman by the name of Casey coached me through the ins and outs of their selection.

I left that place a very happy customer. Some may swear by CTD. Some may just swear at them. My personal experience after my visit left me a sure paying customer soon enough. They may not have earned more than a $13 sale that day. Rest assured, they will be quite a bit richer due to my depleted bank account in the near future...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 31, 2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Walter

You must have caught them on a VERY slow day. Every time I've been in there
(3 or 4 times) you needed a shoehorn to wedge yourself up to the gun counter.
It was that crowded.

I'm not complaining, I wasn't there to buy guns anyway,
but I wouldn't have minded looking a little.

What buying I do from CTD is pretty much all on-line now. I just don't like
crowds.

Walter
Old May 31, 2011, 10:38 PM   #3
kenno

I live hours away from the nearest large sporting goods store, they do not even compare to a CTD, all my purchases are via catalog so I get burned, alot. I wish I had a CTD within 6 hours drive, all I have are Politicaly Correct BS stores.
Old June 1, 2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Nice review, but I think Fort Worth's COC would be very disappointed that you consider a business inside the city limits of Fort Worth in Tarrant County, a significant metropolitan area of its own, to be a "Dallas Area Store."

I drop in at CTD a few times a year, but rarely buy anything. Their prices are nominal at best and in some cases, overpriced. Their catalog business (a separate entity) is a Texas-based company as well and as such I get no interstate (no tax) benefit and while I am only 30 miles away, their shipping charges aren't significantly smaller such that it would make online ordering worthwhile compared to someone elsewhere in the country.