The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 11, 2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Telgriff

New to Shotguns

Hey all, a property I regularly hunt on has requested that they need some invasive bird species dealt with, as such I am looking into a good general use field shotgun. Apart from the occasional shot at the range of other peoples shotguns, I have very little knowledge on shotguns (but I am learning fast).

So I am looking for an affordable field gun, won't need it for clay or competition, just a decent shotgun for hunting/field use. One specific though is that it cannot be a pump or semi-auto/auto shotgun (due to gun laws in Australia). Something around $1500 in price.

I've shouldered and fired a Rizzini Hombra O/U and a Miroku O/U, the rizzini fit beautifully, the Miroku not so much. I also had a look at an ATA Arms 686s yesterday and it fit me well also. An Akkar Churchill also caught my eye, though the wood seemed to be a bit more prone to damage than the ATA Arms.

Does anyone have some good recommendations for a decent field gun?
Old October 11, 2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Arizona Fusilier

I would have recommended something like a Beretta Silver Pigeon or similar, but it might be beyond your budget if purchased new. Used might be a better, more affordable option. I say that because it does not sound like you are really into hunting, although I respect your desire for quality gear. I would consider a used shotgun no matter what make you go with, they are pretty rock-solid items.

CZ has some very handsome O/Us, and a friend of mine has one and is quite pleased with it. The prices are more approachable as well.
Old October 11, 2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Telgriff

I have only ever hunted with rifles (.22 and .260) but shotguns are very much an unknown for me apart from shooting the occasional clays at the range with other peoples shotguns.

The CZ model is that the Redhead? Was looking at that as a possible also.

The Beretta looks very nice but its over 2 grand here new, will have look for second handers and see if they are a bit cheaper.
Old October 12, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

You might want to say the particular bird and whether the gun will be toted by hand or in a vehicle just so one knows how important a factor weight would be. Also, are you going to be shooting tens and even hundreds of shots one after another, as in the dove hunts down in South America designed to eradicate a pest, or taking a few birds. If the former you need a heavier gun to ameliorate felt recoil.

It is generally an extremely good idea to shoot the guns you are interested in to ensure a proper fit. What might seem to fit in a gun shop may not fit you so well when shot.
Old October 13, 2014, 02:46 AM   #5
Telgriff

Particular birds would be of the crow variety, also intend to use it for rabbits from time to time, primarily crows due to the birds pecking out newborn lambs eyes (we are in lambing season at the moment). It would be on foot and no expectation to fire more than a handful of shots over the course of a day. I have even considered a single barrel shotgun in 20g to do the task. Just a general farm shotgun for pest eradication, to help out. Anything larger than a rabbit and I would just use my rifles.

I would say I would be mainly using birdshot, little to no need for buckshot and no need at all for slugs.

Give you an idea of property size: 2000-3000 acres. So lots of walking and minimal shooting.
Old October 13, 2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Blindstitch

As much as I like a 20 gauge if it's pest management I would go for the higher bb count of the 12 gauge.

Most 20 gauge shells are 7/8th ounce
and 12 gauge shells 1 1/8 ounce or more. Even though that's only 1/4th ounce more of bb's it can make the difference.

For every yard away from the target the bb's will spread 1 inch. So a 40 yard shot would be roughly 40 inches wide and I think 300ish bb's. vs 233.
Old October 14, 2014, 02:49 AM   #7
Telgriff

Thanks for the info, appreciated. I have been reading up on 20 vs 12 and yeah, the big difference being how much is in the case, all things being equal. Plus I had a look around at few gun shops within driving distance, everyone has 12g, but not much in the way of 20g - even though I will probably reload for it in the future anyway.
Old October 15, 2014, 10:20 AM   #8
WV_gunner

Way under your budget but how about a Marlin 55? I have the Goosegun version (3 foot barrel with full choke) and I like mine. They made other versions with shorter barrels. There's also the Super Goose which is a 10 gauge. The 55 is a bolt action 2+1, usually a 12 gauge.
How about a single shot? Again under budget but Iver Johnsons and H&Rs are great.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Arizona Fusilier

Crows can be tough.....heartily concur with the. 12 guage recommendation. I would strongly consider a diet of #6 as well.

Here in the States, the old-fashioned break-open single barrel shotgun is still occasionally refered to as "the farmer's friend". I think it would economically suit your needs, maybe even get a spare to loan out to a buddy while on "lamb patrol".
Old October 16, 2014, 01:52 AM   #10
Telgriff

Went and spoke to the guys at my favourite gunstore, asked about shotguns, pointed me to the what is now main contender for me right now. Franchi Phoenix. Price is a bit above my target, but it fit extremely well (and the gunsmith in there said he would fit it to me if I wanted), beautifully balanced, comes with a hardcase and 5 chokes.

Thanks for the info, I keep hearing about crows being a challenge to deal with, both in taking them down as well as being close enough to them. I'll have a look at #6 shot, #5 was also recommended for me but will have a look at their key roosting points and see what sort of distance I will be looking at.

WV_gunner: Had my eye on a H&R single barrel, they seem to have a lot of love despite the rather stout recoil due to being so light, its also on my list if I get too impatient setting aside the money for a Franchi. Or get both and just not tell the wife!
Old October 16, 2014, 09:29 AM   #11
WV_gunner

H&R/NEF is my favorite brand. For their price, quality can't be beat. Around here a good used one is $40-$100 and new prices start at $130 the last I checked. I have one from the '40s that's a .410 and I have a NEF .45-70 rifle. Recoil from a single shot isn't as bad as people say. I have a 10 gauge Stevens that's a single shot, I wouldn't shoot it all day but recoil is manageable. I've also shot a lever action Rossi .45-70 and the recoil was worse than my single shot.
Old October 16, 2014, 10:56 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Recoil from a single shot isn't as bad as people say.
That depends entirely on what you shoot in it, and your personal tolerance!

There is a huge difference in the felt recoil between a 1oz dove load and a 12ga slug!

If you were in the US it would be simple, easy, and cheap. In Australia, I have no idea what is available. Sorry.

Is there a used market there? A used single or double barrel would be cheapest, and really, for protecting the flock, the finish doesn't matter much, does it?
Old October 16, 2014, 11:01 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

Don't be in a hurry, save your money for the Franchi you really like.

If you buy something else, you will always be looking back to the Franchi.

NEF's are good guns but they are not in the same league as the Franchi's.
Old October 17, 2014, 04:53 AM   #14
Telgriff

Quote:
That depends entirely on what you shoot in it, and your personal tolerance!
There is a huge difference in the felt recoil between a 1oz dove load and a 12ga slug!
If you were in the US it would be simple, easy, and cheap. In Australia, I have no idea what is available. Sorry.
Is there a used market there? A used single or double barrel would be cheapest, and really, for protecting the flock, the finish doesn't matter much, does it?
Yep, only be shooting birdshot, so I expect the recoil to be on the more tolerable side even with a very light rifle. That being said I really do like how versatile a shotgun can be and wonder why I never got one earlier!

Australia due to its laws only allows break action shotguns for the majority of people, no pump/semi or auto (though levers get through somehow). Prices for used shotguns seems to be still in the 1 grand and up range in price for anything that's not garbage, as most new guns here are also 2-3 times more expensive than other countries due to a substantially more restricted market/reduced competition. The Franchi is $1600 for example which is about average for a middle of the road double shotgun here (or bolt rifle for that matter). I agree about the finish, I don't need high grade wood or any intricate stencil on the action, just something that will shoot and will last and wont require repairs several thousand shells down the road.

Haven't submitted my paperwork yet, so plenty of time to consider. I do think that the correct choice vs the cheaper/easier choice is a good bit of advice though.