The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 6, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1
won-a-glock

Won the Glock, but want a Sig P229: Suggestions?

Thanks to all who provided insight on the Glock, I ordered the 19 (I had a limited time to order something).

We joined a gun club and have rented several Glocks, Beretta, and the Sig P229 and other handguns.
I should receive the Glock 19 at the end of this month, and already bought a lasermax laser for the Glock...but, after blasting ~ 1000 rounds of 9mm, we want the P229.

What would you gentlemen and ladies suggest I do, we don't want the Glock, but don't have a clue how hard it is to trade one gun for another.
Would a gun dealer likely swap a G19 and lasermax for a P229, or would cash be involved? Would I be better off trying to sell it online and then just buy the P229? If so what forum(s) might you suggest?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
Old June 7, 2010, 07:20 AM   #2
geetarman

It is probably safe to say your Glock is worth about 60% of what you paid. Maybe less. A dealer will try to get it for much less. A used SIG is probably the same scenario. The price point of the two guns is different. A new SIG P229 Elite in stainless steel will sell for over a thousand plus taxes. I bought a new G17 with an extra magazine and factory night sights for a little over $600 out the door. The black alloy frame Sigs will sell for less but are still more expensive than the Glock.

I have both Glocks and Sigs and the P229 is really a hoot to shoot.

It I was in your position, I would hold on to the Glock and buy the Sig.

The Glock is a solid performer. They are just ugly. . .

Geetarman
Old June 7, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3
TailGator

Quote:
It is probably safe to say your Glock is worth about 60% of what you paid. Maybe less.
I'm betting that you didn't remember that he won the Glock - as in free!
Old June 7, 2010, 08:18 AM   #4
zombieslayer

Well- you could always add it to the For Sale section. There are a bunch of glocks on there for sale of trade. You can also add that you'd be interested in a trade. You'll get more than a dealer would dole out that way.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:42 AM   #5
threegun

If its a Generation Three 19 I will pay 350 for it without the laser.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:37 AM   #6
geetarman

Tailgater,

I read the post. Probably should have been clearer on the reply.

Free or not, the Glock will not have the value to make the trade to a Sig without cash.

That said, I would hold on to the Glock and try to get a deal on a Sig.

Trading guns is a lot like trading cars. When you trade new cars for other new cars you really get beat up on the "worth" of your trade.

Keep the Glock and put it in a safe somewhere and keep it. Put a plan together and by a Sig.

I used to hate Glocks. . .until I shot one.

The OP has or will soon have a brand new Glock. That is a good thing.

Geetarman
Old June 7, 2010, 09:43 AM   #7
stephen426

The Glock 19 is a very practical gun and you should really think twice about selling it for the Sig if you intend on using it for concealed carry. It is much lighter than the Sig and the trigger pull is consistent shot to shot instead of double action to single action. While you guys may have fired a thousand rounds through the P229, how many were done in double action. Try a few boxes of ammo shooting only in double action. Do you feel you would be as accurate as with the Glock? I have a P229 and it is a great shooting gun. I am not trying to turn this into a Glock vs. Sig arguement, but I think it is senseless to lose money (value since you won it) by selling your Glock lower than what it is worth.

As for the LaserMax, I would try to return it if you can. The concept is great, but from my experience with it, I would not recommend it. Since the on off switch is an extended version of the slide take down latch, it is very easy to activate accidentally. If you ever need it, there is a good chance the batteries are already dead. This happened to me when I took it to the range on more than one occasion. The extended take down latch makes it hard to find a good holster for the gun unless you are going to use one of those generic nylon holsters. In a fire fight situation, you want the ability to turn the laser on and off quickly. With the LaserMax, it is slower than any pressure switch type laser. At the range, I noticed the laser getting noticably dimmer after firing a few rounds due to the powder residue covering the front element of the laser. While this is not an issue for a self defense scenario, it is another "minus in my book". The LaserMax system also uses a flashing laser which you may or may not like.

If you really want a laser, I think the Crimson Trace grip laser will work much better for you. It is mounted on the side of the gun right on the grip. It is activated by squeezing the pressure switch. It will fit any holster and it projects a continuous beam.

If you really like the P229, buy that in addition to the Glock you are getting. I feel you might find yourself carrying the Glock and just using the P229 for home defense and the range.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Skans

I'd do one of two things:

1. browse the gun boards and see who is selling the Sig you want. Then see if they will take the Glock as a partial trade + some cash.

2. Alternatively, bring it with you to a gunshow - sell it FTF for slightly less than what the dealers are selling them for, or use it as trading material for the Sig.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:46 AM   #9
LordTio3

I'm the first to be aprehensive to tell another shooter what to do with their own weapons and money, but since you asked, this is what I would do.

I'd get on some forums/sites (www.armslist.com), (www.summitgunbroker.com), (www.gunbroker.com), (www. jgsales.com), (www.galleryofguns.com), etc...; and check to see what Sig 229's are going for now used/new. Then I'd go around to some local stores and talk to the guys locally. I'd then see how much I have to spend. (If you buy online, alot another $75-100 for shipping/insurance/ffl transfer fee).

When the Glock came to my home... I'd take it to the range and use it. I'd then buy a new/lightly used 229 for around $900 and say to myself... "I got a Sig and a Glock together for under $1000 dollars. That was a monster deal on both accounts."

Glock has sold more 19's than any other model for a good reason. They are very nearly the perfect 9mm handgun for a vast array of people. Sigs are great as well. You wouldn't be disappointed in either of them, and I would consider myself mighty lucky if I were able to get ahold of both of them new for under $1000.

You do know yourself much better than I do. But I'd be kicking myself for years to come for getting rid of a NIB Glock 19 with a Lasermax.

JMHO,
~LT
Old June 7, 2010, 11:04 AM   #10
DBAR

won-a-glock,

List the Glock 19 on Gunbroker.com with a price that's just a little lower than the dealers are selling theirs for ($20 less?). Just remember about the laws about shipping guns to FFL, and where you can do that, and where you cannot. List the Lasemax separately, and do the same with it.

Find the P229 you want, and buy it.

Good Luck, and it's not as complicated as it may seem.

DBAR
Old June 7, 2010, 11:10 AM   #11
defjon

You can get 400-450 for the Glock. Don't let anyone low ball you and don't be in a hurry to sell.

It is easy to look up your local laws for buying and selling.

It is also easy to ship a gun- just have your local FFL do it.

I would list it up here and some other online gun sites and maybe any local trading papers.

You shouldn't have any problem selling it, lots of people are in the market for the glock 19, and buying it from you incurs no state taxes.
Old June 7, 2010, 11:16 AM   #12
threegun

400 shipped LOL.
Old June 7, 2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Uncle Malice

Won-a-glock. I know that you are here in the valley. Just post the Glock up on backpage. If you put it up, new-on-box without shooting it, you can easily get $500 for it.

Sell the lasermax with or seperately...

You can also get a P229 from backpage as well. I've bought, sold, and traded many guns through backpage. Always a pleasant experience.

http://phoenix.backpage.com

Click on Sports Equipment.
Old June 7, 2010, 07:03 PM   #14
DBAR

Uncle Malice is giving you good advice when he says, Don't shoot the gun!
Old June 7, 2010, 07:23 PM   #15
ATW525

Quote:
As for the LaserMax, I would try to return it if you can. The concept is great, but from my experience with it, I would not recommend it. Since the on off switch is an extended version of the slide take down latch, it is very easy to activate accidentally. If you ever need it, there is a good chance the batteries are already dead. This happened to me when I took it to the range on more than one occasion. The extended take down latch makes it hard to find a good holster for the gun unless you are going to use one of those generic nylon holsters. In a fire fight situation, you want the ability to turn the laser on and off quickly. With the LaserMax, it is slower than any pressure switch type laser. At the range, I noticed the laser getting noticably dimmer after firing a few rounds due to the powder residue covering the front element of the laser. While this is not an issue for a self defense scenario, it is another "minus in my book". The LaserMax system also uses a flashing laser which you may or may not like.
I have a lasermax on my G36. No issues with holster fitment and it never turns itself on. In fact, I've found a well fitting holster actually centers the switch and turns it off automatically if I reholster with the laser on.
Old June 7, 2010, 07:27 PM   #16
won-a-glock

Thanks Uncle Malice and DBar

Good advice indeed. I looked on backpage and few other places and found a few Sig's. One said NEW....then in the later print only a 'few rounds' fired. I thought NEW meant NEW aka no mileage.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by won-a-glock; June 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old June 7, 2010, 11:32 PM   #17
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATW525
I have a lasermax on my G36. No issues with holster fitment and it never turns itself on. In fact, I've found a well fitting holster actually centers the switch and turns it off automatically if I reholster with the laser on.
I'm not sure what kind of holster you bought. I bought a Kydex holster that fit perfectly before the LaserMax installation. It would not fit afterwards due to the extended take down tabs. I tried pocket carry, but the laser would turn on. I'm glad it works for you, but I think the Crimson Trace design is far superior. I bought one for my Kahr PM9 and it fits along the bottom of the trigger guard.
Old June 8, 2010, 12:06 AM   #18
ATW525

Quote:
bought a Kydex holster that fit perfectly before the LaserMax installation. It would not fit afterwards due to the extended take down tabs.
Probably explains the different experiences. I use a Comp-Tac MTAC, an AKJ Concealco Select Grade IWB and a no name leather paddle holster that came with the gun.
Old June 8, 2010, 12:30 AM   #19
dsa1115

From reading your post it sounds like you won the Glock but you haven't even received the gun yet. If I'm reading your post right the Glock is NIB. And if it's NIB, perhaps your FFL will allow you to use the Glock as a credit on the SIG?
Old June 8, 2010, 12:34 AM   #20
PeterGunn

Quote:
Good advice indeed. I looked on backpage and few other places and found a few Sig's. One said NEW....then in the later print only a 'few rounds' fired. I thought NEW meant NEW aka no mileage.

Thanks guys!
Don't be too quick to walk away from a used pistol. Buying new may seem the better way to go on the surface, but a LNIB or a used but well maintained gun can be a great find.

I can't tell you the last time I bought a new gun...

PeterGunn
Old June 8, 2010, 04:25 AM   #21
Rich Miranda

Quote:
I used to hate Glocks. . .until I shot one.
And I thought I liked Glocks . . . until I shot one.

Oh, the irony!
Old June 8, 2010, 04:31 AM   #22
Rich Miranda

Quote:
I looked on backpage and few other places and found a few Sig's. One said NEW....then in the later print only a 'few rounds' fired. I thought NEW meant NEW aka no mileage.
Well, even new cars have been test-driven. But good guns are good guns, period. A few rounds, even many hundreds of rounds are not usually a problem. There are excellent deals to be had on used guns, if you don't have to have 'new".

As far as I'm concerned, and my experience tells me this is true, a quality gun sold as used (but not beat to death or abused) is as good as new. I only own one gun that I bought new, and that was only because it was a brand new release from Ruger, and I was eager.
Old June 8, 2010, 04:46 AM   #23
shaunpain

I will repeat what many other posters on this board have said on many different threads.

Once you take in that little orphan Annie, you keep her and hold her dear. My children I intend to keep for life. And of course I love giving them little brothers and sisters when I can afford to!

And confirming what ^^^ just said, those pistols are all factory fired for QC before they roll out on the trucks anyway. I prefer that feed ramp worn through myself!
Old June 8, 2010, 08:28 PM   #24
chris in va

I wasn't terribly interested in Glocks either until I tried a 19 with the lighter disconnector. Now I'm highly impressed.

Tags
glock 19 , sell , sig p229 , swap , trade