The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2000, 06:27 PM   #1
frogman6

Hey guys/gals......right now I'm contemplating getting a single action of some sort.......I'm not looking to get into cas right now........but probably will later.

I just figured that you would have more experiance with the saa than the general shooter.

First of all.......money isn't too much of a problem.....I'm not going to be spending $2k on it or anything.......but I'd kind of like the colt name .

Second........is colts quality up to snuff with the other makers ?......I've heared bad things about the "cowboy"......and I know that they're double action's aren't as good as others.......I'm thinking about the model 1856.

In short.......is this a good gun for the money ?......or would I be better off going the ruger route ?.

Thanks.
Frogman6......aspiring quickdraw.
Old March 8, 2000, 07:41 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy frogman6,

You'll get a some differing opinions on the current production SAA. In my opinion,you'd be better off finding a good 2nd generation SAA-these are generally considered Colt's best work in this pistol.

Your other options are the SAA clones,such as the Cimmaron Model P and EMF Hartfords. These can be very good guns and are decidely less expensive than true Colt SAAs. And,the Ruger Vaquero is a very well built and reliable pistol and is very popular with cowboy shooters.

Decide if you must have a Colt. If so,be very wary of the current production guns. Look for a good 2nd gen. SAA. If you want a SAA-look alike,then the Cimmaron and EMF guns are very hard to tell from the real thing,and are much less expensive. If you want a pistol that looks a lot like a Colt and will stand up to the rigors of CAS,then the Ruger is a good choice.

Bellicose Bill

Old March 8, 2000, 08:24 PM   #3
frogman6

I'm sure this won't be my last stupid question......but........second generation ?

------------------
Star Trek nerd and proud of it
Old March 8, 2000, 08:45 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Frogman, if asking what second generation Colt is, please do more research before buying. As far as value for money on Colt replicas I would look at Cimarron Model P Artillery Model. 1st generation Colts are the earliest models, approx. 1873-1940. Second Generation Colts are 1956-1975. Third generation 1976-current year.
Old March 8, 2000, 09:03 PM   #5
Gunslinger

Colt SAA:
First generation: Manufactured from 1873 thru 1940; serial number range 1 thru 357,000.

Second generation: Manufactured from 1956 thru 1975; serial number range 0001SA thru 73,000SA.

Third generation: Manufactured from 1976 thru 1996; serial number range 80,000SA thru 99,999SA in 1978. Then changed to SA01001 until SA99,999 in 1993. Then changed to begin with S02001A.

Colt Cowboy: Cast reproduction of famed Colt SAA.

There was a period during the production of the third generation that thee parts were actually built by Uberti in Italy and assembled at the Colt factory in Hartford.

Many of the Colt SAA "clones" are very comparable to the Colt in terms of quality. (Stick with the steel back strap/trigger models.)

I agree with Bill here. If it is intended as a shooter get a Vaquero. I have several and was at one time building custom Vaqueros/Blackhawks in my custom shop for customers.

However, in my opinion, there is nothing in the world that compares to the balance, beauty and the "feel" of a genuiine Colt Single Action Army.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old April 19, 2002, 10:42 PM   #6
Salt

I would go with the current production Colts.
Old April 20, 2002, 01:22 PM   #7
sjc1

I have 1st., 2nd. and 3rd. generation Colt SAA. I would have to go with the 2nd. generation as my first choice. There is something about the feel and balance of a Colt SAA, any generation, that cannot be described. I have shot single action revolvers by other makers. They are fine handguns but they just do not feel right to me when compared to the Colt.
Old April 28, 2002, 02:06 PM   #8
Alex Johnson

I saw a couple of Colt clones in my local gunstore yesterday. I think the maker was AWA (or something like that). These guns have an excellent fit and finish on them, far superior to some of the Colts I've seen. Also, at a price tag under $700 they would seem to be a far better bargain.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old April 28, 2002, 05:03 PM   #9
Jim Watson

AWA = American Western Arms
They bought out Armi San Marco in Italy, the only real competitor to Uberti in cartridge revolvers.

US Firearms Inc is making single actions in the old Colt building in Hartford. They started out assembling Italian parts but now claim everything is either in house or US procured. Not much less expensive than a Colt, except for the plain finish Rodeo model.
Old April 28, 2002, 08:49 PM   #10
jjmorgan64

I got to check out a couple of the rodeos from US Firearms, didn't shoot them, but they were gorgeous guns, very smooth action

JM