The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 3, 2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Prof Young

Diamondback brand???

Gunners:
My daughter was looking at a little 380 made by Diamondback. Is that a good brand? Yea, I know I can search the net, but it's always good to hear from people in the know as well.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old March 3, 2013, 11:53 PM   #2
TurkeyOak

Diamondback brand???

I talked to a guy who had one and loved it. I just read Taurus is buying them

I prefer my Ruger LCP.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:39 AM   #3
redhologram

Female perspective here. I had a DB .380. Kept it for less than a month because I had issues with racking the slide and I didn't like the long trigger pull and overall it just didn't fit my hand. (gun was too small for me)

Never had any complaints with performance of the gun while I had it and I put plenty of rounds through it. No recoil to speak of, good size, never had any malfunctions with it.

I have a DB 9mm now. Slide does better for me, I like the trigger pull better, and it fits my hand better. Not much recoil, still a good size, but this one really likes to malfunction a bit much for my liking.

Honestly there are better guns out there, especially now that they are under Taurus, my issue with them is QC. Something happens to my gun, now am I having to deal with them to fix it? I've been seriously considering carrying my Glock 19 full time.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:26 AM   #4
9mm

Bad gun, many problems, just search web. LCP way better, about $40 difference?
Old March 4, 2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Yung.gunr

I've heard enough anecdotal stuff to just spend the extra ~$50 and get something better. Shoot, my TCP has even been flawless and I'm not sure there's much if any of a price difference.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
TailGator

I was at the range a few months ago and a young fellow had one of those that he was real proud of. He insisted that I give it a try. It didn't have a real finished look or feel, it had a long and rather uneven trigger, had pretty snappy recoil, and I could barely keep the rounds on paper.

I returned the favor by letting him fire the two 9 mm pistols I had with me: a Glock 26 and a Beretta 92. He wasn't nearly as happy with his DB at the end, and I felt a little bad for him, but the little pistol did not impress me at all.
Old March 4, 2013, 02:00 PM   #7
The Great Mahoo

Diamondback brand???

My dad has a Diamond Back (380, I think). I've shot 1 or 2 mags through it without any hiccups. He doesn't shoot it much, but I'm fairly sure he's never had any problems either.

I know he just started carrying it again; I'll have to ask him about it next time i have a chance to talk to him.

From what I've seen, seems nice enough. I seem to remember it being fairl inexpensive, but that was going on 2 years ago now.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:08 PM   #8
bonefamily

I was looking at one when I picked up my LCP. The DB 380 was about 20 bucks more (at our LGS). I liked the way the DB felt in my hand and also liked the take down a bit better, but went with the Ruger for sake of a better name reputation. I'm not saying that Diamond Back is a bad name, just a newer name in the industry. Of course, just my opinions is all.

There's some Youtube vids on it worth watching. Nutnfancy does a pretty thorough review.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:32 PM   #9
michael t

Get Ruger or KelTec either one better .
Old March 4, 2013, 11:36 PM   #10
shootniron

One of my local dealers dropped them due to customers having too many problems with them...also dropped Taurus at the same time.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:11 AM   #11
Prof Young

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I'll pass it on to my daughter.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old March 8, 2013, 12:56 AM   #12
Mr.Scott

I have one and its been a good gun. It's accurate, light, minimal recoil. The 1st gens did have problems but anything in the Z3xxx and later serial numbers have all the bugs worked out.

I like it more than the keltec 380.
Anyone that complains that the db380 was bad at the beginning, but then suggests the ruger is either brand bias or uninformed, as the ruger lcp had a recall shortly after being introduced.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:26 PM   #13
Guybo

I owned the DB9 for about a year and put around 450rds of different types ammo through it including HP's with no problems. I sold it to my brother who still has it and to my knowledge hasn't had any issues with it either. I replaced it with a Kahr CM9 simply because it fit my hand better than the Diamondback did. I have a friend who has a DB380 and other than a few mishaps with the first 100rds he claims that it's been very reliable since and carries it every day.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:14 PM   #14
jreXD9

A few months ago I had a new DB9. I took it to the range and it blew up in my hand on just the SECOND shot. DB replaced it and the store I bought it from gave me a new Kahr CM9 in its place. it's my fifth Kahr.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:10 PM   #15
leadchucker

Diamondback has a ... less than stellar reputation. You can do better. Spend a few bucks more and get a Ruger LCP, or a S&W Bodyguard. If you must pinch pennies, get a Kel Tec P3AT.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:31 PM   #16
IDbound

Yes I did have a part break on my DB380. May have been related to some reloads. However, with one call I had a Fedex box to return the gun and several weeks later it was returned at no cost. Gun fixed. They said they made some updates and fired 3 mags through it with no issues. I have not had any issues since. I will also say that the trigger pull is much less then a S&W BG. Recoil is much less than a LCP.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:41 PM   #17
drail

I don't think I would permit my daughter to CCW a .380 unless she was a very very good shot.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:46 PM   #18
scrod008

Diamondback brand???

Had one once, not anymore. Mine never got beyond 200 hundred rounds before the trigger bar broke-twice! After I got it back from the factory the second time I never took it out of the case, took it to my LGS and swapped it off.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:54 PM   #19
ryanryan03

Taurus just bought them. I don't know if this will help them. I steered clear of a small 9mm they make bc they listed certain ammo you couldn't shoot in it.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing." - Abraham Lincoln
Old April 9, 2013, 08:32 AM   #20
Buckdown

Diamondback are manufactured next to the location where Keltecs are made in FL.The Company was started by ex Keltec employees.I would choose the Keltec as a better option than the diamondbacks for Quality and Warranty and years of service in the business
Old April 9, 2013, 08:47 AM   #21
redhologram

Adding an update to my post I made on this thread. I have since gotten rid of my DB9 as well. As much as I wanted to like Diamondback, both guns I had just didn't work for me.

I still recommend looking at other options.

To the OP, check in and update us on what the final decision was for your daughter when you can.
Old April 9, 2013, 12:05 PM   #22
dajowi

Well if Taurus bought you can be sure that the quality will go...