The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 11, 2013, 09:06 AM   #1
shortwave

THANK YOU Veterans

Thank you for the freedoms we enjoy today.

Thank you for the sacrifices you(and your family) have made for me and my family.

A debt I can never repay. But only show my appreciation by supporting you not only on Veterans Day but the rest of the year as well.

Enjoy your day vet.!
Old November 11, 2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Ted D

I to thank you.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
wogpotter

Removed so as not to offend a member.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; November 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
915A

Salute to all the Veterans

Just want to give a Salute to all those who have served in all branches. To the families and friends who have supported them through all they have given this Nation. And most of all to my brothers and sisters who gave the ultimate sacrifice to our country, you are the true heroes and you will forever be in our thoughts and prayers.

I Salute you!
Theran
US ARMY
1996-PRESENT
Old November 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
TheNatureBoy

In behalf of all Veterans to include my father, brother, cousins, uncles, personal friends, and me....you're welcome.
Old November 11, 2013, 10:06 AM   #6
TXAZ

Thank you.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 11, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Pahoo

A big "Hand-Salute" to all !!!

Last week, I attended an investor's dinner meeting and right off, the host asked all veteran to stand and be recognized. That was a pleasant surprise. There were about 75 folks there and three of us stood. Turns out that we were all at the same table. One Navy, one Army and one Airman. Sure wish we could have had a Coastie and Devil-Dog. !!! ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 11, 2013, 11:31 AM   #8
kraigwy

And those who kept the home fires burning.

I think of my mother, a Rosie Riveter building B17 & B29s, Seen her husband and two brothers off to the SP during WWII, saw her husband off to Korea, three sons to Vietnam, two grandsons and a daughter in-law to Iraq.

It's not just those in uniform who served.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 11, 2013, 11:43 AM   #9
SPEMack618

They also serve, those who sit and wait.

Bravery is a word that gets bandied about quite a bit in our society, the military included. However, when I think of bravery I think of my Mother and a former girlfriend.

Mom watched Pops go off to five separate wars (starting with Vietnam), and this was after having her father trump all around the Pacific and then get recalled for Korea. And after all that, she had to stand their and watch me go off.

And I think bravery is being a 19 year old sorority girl watching your boyfriend march off into a C-17 while the band plays Dixie.

It was a pleasure to serve my country, to wear the uniform, and to lead the finest men the state of Georgia had to offer into battle.

I carried an M-9 clipped to the front of my trauma plate, Pops wore a 1911 in a homemade leather shoulder holster, and Grandpa Eli carried a Victory Model in a cavalry holster with a swivel attached to his cartridge belt. Different handguns, but the same.
Old November 11, 2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Frank Ettin
Staff

Thank you, veterans.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 11, 2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Hunter Customs

I just got home from a veterans ceremony at a middle school that two of my granddaughters attend.
It was a nice ceremony and I appreciate the fact that the school took the time to honored the vets.

So from a veteran to all veterans I say thank you, and I also want to thank those that take the time to thank and honor us.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old November 11, 2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Buzzcook

Bring them home, safe, to the arms of their families.
Old November 11, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13
P5 Guy

To all those who served, THANK YOU for protecting our liberty and freedom.
To my Grand Father who served in France in 1918 and My Father who served in Africa and in Italy in 1943/45 a special thanks.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:13 AM   #14
Buzzcook

99 year old vet, gets unexpected send off.
http://crooksandliars.com/diane-swee...l-wwii-veteran

Quote:
World War II vet Harold Jellicoe "Coe" Percival passed away peacefully in his sleep last month at the age of 99. According to his obituary, Harold had "no close family who can attend his funeral."

Enter the Internets, and a call went out on Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit.

"If you're in the area, give him the sendoff he deserves," wrote Sgt. Rick Clement, an Afghanistan War vet who was wounded in the line of duty. "This guy needs and deserves your help."

Sgt. Clement's plea was heeded, and hundreds ignored the rain to attend Harold's funeral at the Lytham Park Crematorium. Hundreds more unable to get inside the packed crematorium stood in the rain to honor him, mourners young and old.

People said they were honored to attend.
Heart warming stuff.
Old November 12, 2013, 01:36 AM   #15
leadcounsel

Giving thanks for all of my brothers and sisters in arms today, past and present. A special shout out to those in harms way this holiday season - I know first hand the difficulties of being deployed. Great respect to those who gave the ultimate sacrifices for freedom or those that were wounded. Remember, freedom is not free. Also, happy birthday Marines!
Old November 12, 2013, 05:27 AM   #16
GM2

To all those who served and those now serving a BIG THANKS!
from a US Navy Vet.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Pahoo

The culture is changing for the good !!!

When I came home from the Navy, after the Vietnam conflict, there were few thank-you's or expression of appreciation. Understand that I was not expecting any, just glad to be home. In the past five years I have seen many expressions of appreciation for my service. On more than one occasion, in restaurants, I have paid for meals for anyone I see, in uniform. Understand that I was never in-country but lost many buddies and still losing some to residual effects of Agent-Orange. I understand what some of our young folks have gone through. Still, when called, we are there. .....

Hand-Salute and;
Be Safe !!!
Old November 12, 2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogpotter
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
This poem is generally associated with Memorial Day, not Veterans' Day.

Seems every year at Memorial Day I have to lecture people who want to thank me for being a veteran. I always tell them I'm not dead yet, and when I die it'll probably not be in the service of my country. There's a day to thank me for my service, and it's November 11, not Memorial day.

Not that those who gave all should be ignored but, technically, those who died in combat never got to be "veterans." Memorial Day is for honoring them, not those of us who survived and made it home.

I sure wish they'd teach this stuff in schools today. They did when I was a sprout.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:10 PM   #19
DaleA

In addition to all the tributes to our veterans how about more than just a thank you and make a donation to the USO to support our current troops? (Or any other veterans support group.)

Let's also support our veterans by making sure we vote for and support candidates for elected offices that also support our veterans.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:18 PM   #20
DaleA

Quote:
Last week, I attended an investor's dinner meeting and right off, the host asked all veteran to stand and be recognized.
I like this. It's a nice way to honor those who have served. I also liked a 4th of July celebration I was at one time where a military band played and they had the veterans remain relaxed and seated and had everyone else stand to attention to honor those who had served. Might not be totally 'proper' but I think everyone there enjoyed the turnabout.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:44 PM   #21
wogpotter

Quote:
Seems every year at Memorial Day I have to lecture people who want to thank me for being a veteran. I always tell them I'm not dead yet, and when I die it'll probably not be in the service of my country. There's a day to thank me for my service, and it's November 11, not Memorial day.
Aploogies, post withdrawn, have a pleasant day.

Old November 12, 2013, 04:17 PM   #22
P5 Guy

Quote:
This poem is generally associated with Memorial Day, not Veterans' Day.
I always associated 'In Flanders Fields' with Armistice Day November 11th which has been renamed Veterans Day.
And I do wish the VFW would sell Poppies again.
Just the ramblings of an Old Guy.
Old November 12, 2013, 04:41 PM   #23
SC4006

A little late, but a big thanks to all who have served before me! I'm a new recruit, just got sworn in and I leave for Ft. Benning on February 7th.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old November 12, 2013, 04:55 PM   #24
wogpotter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
AS do I but this isn't the place to argue about it. Its a tribute, not an ego boost.

Old November 12, 2013, 10:35 PM   #25
shortwave

Quote:
A little late, but a big thanks to all who have served before me! I'm a new recruit, just got sworn in and I leave for Ft. Benning on February 7th.
SC4006

I consider it a humbling privilege to Thank You for your upcoming services.