The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 6, 2013, 10:16 AM   #101
Skans

I would have no problem with an organized march where participants are holding placards with pictures of guns, the 2nd Amendment, Flags, pro-freedom messages, etc. Sort of a Tea-Party rally addressing gun rights instead of taxes.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:48 AM   #102
TXAZ

Guess which genius not only showed up.....

In line with some predictions from the early part of this thread, where the march in DC was officially cancelled, it appears this potentially bad publicity isn't going to help law abiding gun owners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAGGoPidEY

The Washington Post indicates the DCPD is looking into it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...080_story.html

Any bets on Mr. Kokesh's future?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 5, 2013, 07:58 AM   #103
Double Naught Spy

From the link just above...
Quote:
U.S. Park Police and the D.C. police are investigating the authenticity of a video that surfaced Thursday morning that appears to show activist Adam Kokesh loading a shotgun in Freedom Plaza and describing himself as part of the “final American Revolution.”
Final American Revolution? Does that sound just a little nutty or what? I am not sure folks like Kokesh are ultimately helpful to our cause.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:08 AM   #104
TXAZ

What's the chance he's actually pretty clever andshot this video on a green screen and is looking for a false arrest suit?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 5, 2013, 02:18 PM   #105
KyJim

Quote:
What's the chance he's actually pretty clever andshot this video on a green screen and is looking for a false arrest suit?
IMO, he would be out of luck. By posting the video with the D.C. background and the graphic stating it is at Freedom Plaza, he has admitted illegal conduct. He may disavow this admission later, and perhaps even prove it's a fake video. However, police seem to have probable cause to arrest and charge him so that a false arrest suit would fail.
Old July 5, 2013, 02:45 PM   #106
creightonenterprises

I can understand why someone would organize a march like this, but it's just too extreme. These guys are going to end up getting too much attention for all the wrong reasons. I sure as heck would never participate in that!
Old July 5, 2013, 02:55 PM   #107
SIGSHR

March-yes!! Armed-NO!!!! Only thing we should carry are signs, banners, placards-and lots of trash bags.
Old July 5, 2013, 09:07 PM   #108
Tom Servo
Staff

When I first saw the video, I laughed so hard I think I bruised my sinuses. Then I realized it wasn't meant to be funny.

The part at the end when he cycles the action on the shotgun for dramatic effect is brilliant. "We are the FINAL [chunk!]. AMERICAN [chunk!] REVOLUTION!" I thought for sure he was going to yell "this is Sparta."

The title is somewhat misleading as well. "Open Carry March on DC a success?" I don't see any marching. I just see one guy.

Frankly, the DC police can investigate it or not. If I were in their shoes, I simply wouldn't give him the attention. Ironically, that's what I'd suggest gun owners do as well. There's a line between civil disobedience and being a dink to get attention, and it's really not all that fuzzy.
Old July 5, 2013, 09:28 PM   #109
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
...There's a line between civil disobedience and being a dink to get attention, and it's really not all that fuzzy.
And IMHO, Kokesh is so far on the wrong side of that line he can not be justifiably given any credence at all.

Folks, we in the RKBA movement really need to (1) start recognizing the importance of winning over public opinion; and (2) start to learn and understand how to actually do that. We have become masters at snatching defeat out of the jaws of victor.

I wrote this in a post in another thread:
Quote:
...I continue to be dismayed by the failure of so many in the RKBA community to recognize the importance of positively influencing public opinion or to have any real clue about how to determine how to go about doing that.

During the course of my career I've had a pretty fair amount of experience working with business clients who needed to be able to influence public perception, understand how to make advertising effective and find the best ways to effectively communicate their messages. When a lot was at stake, they didn't just guess or say "if it worked for Rosa Parks."

When they sat around their conference tables (I was there), they didn't assume that their audiences would think the ways they did or have the same values and perceptions. They consulted with psychologists and others who have studied human motivation and perception and beliefs. They thoroughly analyzed the demographics of the audiences and tried to understand what they cared about, what they were scared of, what made them happy or feel secure, what they believed and didn't believe.

They also tested their conclusions with surveys and focus groups. They paid attention to what was happening and made adjustments in their messages and techniques if things weren't working the way they wanted them to.

And I strongly suspect that our opposition is doing at least some of those things....
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 6, 2013, 08:49 AM   #110
Tucker 1371

And to think he WAS a Marine, emphasis on the was, he is an embarrassment to our Corps and the second amendment cause and no longer deserves the title if you ask me. What a freakin froot loop.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old July 7, 2013, 03:24 PM   #111
Boomer58cal

Talk has done nothing but let the left erode our rights.

At what point do you do more than talk?

Are you going to wait for them to take the rest of our rights before you do more talk?

How far is too far?

They don't just talk why should we?

When talk has failed and you think marching is crazy what should we do then?

You'll probably do what most Americans are doing...Nothing.

Wake Up America!!!

Boomer
Old July 7, 2013, 05:42 PM   #112
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You'll probably do what most Americans are doing...Nothing.
Boomer, you might be surprised to find just how active many of us on this forum are.

To suggest that we're doing nothing because we don't support a certain particular action is a bit disingenuous.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:31 AM   #113
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z2

Busted for drugs while in possession of a firearm.

Not clear if the video triggered the search.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:39 AM   #114
Dashunde

Quote:
At what point do you do more than talk?
At no point is acting kooky and illegal the right thing to do.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:46 AM   #115
deepcreek

The guy is just a mad dog, hopefully not too many people are stupid enough to follow him.
Seems like they got him in the court system so he will probably end up fighting charges, getting tired/wore down, taking a plea which requires good behavior and the mad dog gets his balls sniped.

I am all for protest and activism but you need some kind of tactics and logical methods or you are just a ranting idiot.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:55 AM   #116
Wyoredman

Hmm?

In the Post article linked above, he is quoted as saying that he was expecting a raid by police after he posted the video.

So, why on earth, if he was expecting the raid, did he have illegal drugs in his home?

I can only think of three reasons: 1) the guy is a complete idiot or 2) the drugs in question were prescriptions for someone else and he is a complete idiot or 3) that they were his scripts and the police are just using them as an excuse for an arrest which will be thrown out later.

Hmm?
Old July 10, 2013, 10:04 AM   #117
Spats McGee
Staff

The article says he was in possession of hallucinogenic mushrooms when arrested. I was unaware that anybody prescribed magic mushrooms for anything.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:09 AM   #118
Wyoredman

Ah, yes!

Reading too fast and I missed that little bit!

So, it is choice #1. The guy is an idiot!

I mean, really, why have illegal drugs in your home when you are expecting a raid! Simple, simple, simple!
Old July 10, 2013, 10:15 AM   #119
Spats McGee
Staff

Yeah, if you're going to be an activist, you should expect contact with the police and plan accordingly. . . . It really is that simple.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:30 PM   #120
Tom Servo
Staff

Well, this guy's wanted to be a martyr the whole time, and now he'll be doing it from prison. At least a felony conviction will bar him from owning firearms in the future.

I guess we won't be seeing him next Independence Day.

FWIW, despite the headline, the article does a fairly good article of painting Kokesh as a lone crackpot rather than a spokesperson for our cause.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:40 PM   #121
Dr Big Bird PhD

I hate being the tin-foil hat wearer but

When was the last time anyone such as Kokesh was a big-hallucinogen fan?

And more importantly... when was the last time the local PD needed 20 SWAT team members to clear a house full for mushrooms? I know they overuse these forces to make everything abundantly overpowering/safe, along with instilling a chilling effect, but I just don't buy it. The article i read on the Washington Post screamed of "EAT THIS STORY UP AND DON'T QUESTION IT."

Edit: I am in no way a fan or even tolerable of his idea of an armed march on DC.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old July 10, 2013, 02:14 PM   #122
thallub

Quote:
And more importantly... when was the last time the local PD needed 20 SWAT team members to clear a house full for mushrooms?
That came from the website ran by Kokesh. i put no stock in anything Kokesh or his friends have to say.

BTW: Kokesh was arrested by the U. S. Park Police who are responsible for policing Freedom Plaza, where Kokesh went into his act. Kokesh may be looking at a federal felony charge.

From the link:

Quote:
U.S. Park Police Lt. Pamela Smith said her agency executed a search warrant at Kokesh’s home in Herndon about 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, looking for a weapon. The park police are the federal agency responsible for policing Freedom Plaza, the concrete park a few blocks from the White House where — in a video posted to YouTube on July 4 — Kokesh appears to load a shotgun in violation of D.C. gun laws.
Old July 10, 2013, 02:34 PM   #123
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
when was the last time the local PD needed 20 SWAT team members to clear a house full for mushrooms?
When the occupant is known to be armed, is known to flaunt gun laws and publicize the event, and when he describes his video as "very specifically a call to overthrow the United States federal government.”

Additionally, we're looking at four felonies at the very least:
  • Unlawful possession of a firearm
  • Possession of unlawful (ie, unregistered) ammunition
  • Possession of Schedule I controlled substance
  • Possesssion of a firearm during commission of a felony

Given all that, it's reasonable to consider this man armed, mentally unbalanced, and potentially very dangerous.
Old July 10, 2013, 03:03 PM   #124
Wyoredman

I second the "mentally unbalanced" description!

That is more PC than what I was thinking - NIMROD!
Old July 10, 2013, 04:07 PM   #125
overhead

The fact he was caught with mushrooms helps me to understand some of his rather odd behavior over the past couple of years.

I did not think much of his intelligence and that opinion has not been changed by the fact he allegedly kept illegal drugs in his house along with firearms after putting a video like that on the internet.