The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 22, 2009, 09:59 PM   #76
bigger hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro pistolero
If you don't have a key, rental agreement or a deed with your name on it, you are obviously wanting to break in to the house for nefarious reasons unrelated to to the health of your father. There is no legal path available to you to come to the aid of your father without endangering the careers of the officers who take the call. I wouldn't wait for the police to open the door if I were you.
Do you think that writing this sort of nonsense enhances your argument?
Old June 22, 2009, 10:00 PM   #77
bigger hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloy
Yes, well I usually have a tire iron in the car so if it ever comes up, and this is really how it is....no need to bother anyone with my troubles.
So why did you bother to ask? LOL
Old June 22, 2009, 10:01 PM   #78
bigger hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuTcAsT
Dang Bud, I'm not in LE but, Don't I at least get an "honorable mention" ?
Yes, you do. Welcome to the "bright side."
Old June 22, 2009, 10:07 PM   #79
DougO83

^I don't have a key to my parents' house, so I would have to force the door open. However, what if this guy isn't capable of forcing the door open? Duh, EMS/LE should roll and bust the door. Or, there is probably a neighbor nearby who has something in his garage to open the door. Hell, I know this may sound extreme, but if it's my family member inside and I have a reason to think they are in trouble, I just drove to their house, I can get in...a few more dings won't hurt my old Chevy...

Matt 6:33
Old June 22, 2009, 10:56 PM   #80
Shadi Khalil

I just re-read the story and realized this happend about ten minutes away from me, in NoVA. I guess things have changed...
Old June 22, 2009, 11:07 PM   #81
Wagonman

Quote:
There is no legal path available to you to come to the aid of your father without endangering the careers of the officers who take the call. I wouldn't wait for the police to open the door if I were you
Unwarranted sarcasm aside that is good advice. A POLICE OFFICER CANNOT ENTER YOUR HOME WITHOUT A WARRANT OR YOUR PERMISSION.

The legal path is busting a window or kicking the door in because you have at least implied consent to enter the residence. THE COPPER DOESN'T
Old June 23, 2009, 02:11 PM   #82
Conn. Trooper

Believe it or not there are lots and lots of doors that can't be kicked in. Thats why you see cops and swat ninjas using power rams and explosive entries. Try a good strong metal door and a metal frame someday. Its not that simple.

With no indication of a crime or legit emergency, I am not kicking in your door.