The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 18, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Christian James

How do you train?

I'm thinking of getting a shotgun. I still haven't decided on whether I want the Mossberg 590 or the Remington 870 Express. That's not the problem though. Whatever weapon I choose I want to train with it. But how do you train with your shotgun? Do you just take it to the range and shoot some clays with it? I'm thinking that might get me and my tacticool shotgun some looks from the other shotgunners.
Old July 18, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

Welcome Chris!!

Going to the range or shooting clays is great PRACTICE, I don't consider it training.

If you want training there are several places that offer specialized training in shotguns. The first thing to answer, though, is what do you want from the training, do you want basic gun handling and shooting technique? If so, you can probably find an NRA course or some classes that will be held at your local shooting range.

If you are looking for tactical training, do what I did ... join the military, just kidding.....there are several places that offer "tactical shotgun" training, there are also different levels of tactical training, depending on your need.

SIGARMS Academy (http://www.sigarms.com/EducationTraining/) is an excellent source of civilian training. The folks at Blackwater (http://www.blackwaterusa.com/training/) also offer training classes that are open to the public, many taught by former military instructors. There are many, many more that are out there and may be closer to where you are.

The most important thing is to become familiar with your weapon, know how it works, know how it shoots and then Practice, Practice, Practice until youu know where your shot is going to hit even before you pull the trigger.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old July 18, 2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Slopemeno

What I found works great is "presentations". Get a target you dont have to reset, like a pepper-popper or a 9" steel plate, and adjust them so they are leaning well over center.

A friend to "coach" you helps here. Have them use a timer with a random "beep". Even having them using a whistle and giving you random blasts helps. At the tone, engage the target, starting with single shots, then progressing to two shots. The reload interval should be entirely up to the student. This will help train them to reload at any break in the action.

You want to start from either port arms or low-ready. The nice thing about a defensive shotgun is practice ammo for it is cheap (I usually would buy Winchester AA heavy on sale) so theres no excuse. Go heavy on repetition until putting that bead on target is second nature. I would also suggest keeping your training sessions shorter, but more frequent. I found I got more benefit that way.

I would also suggest finding your local bowling pin/practical shooting league and hook up with them. Shotgun stages are great fun, and I totally enjoyed the time I spent with my old league. Nothing makes you improve more than competition. Have fun.
Old July 18, 2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Rmstn1580

Skeet range. Nothing sophisticated about shooting a shotgun. Point it in the general direction of the bad gun, pull trigger No "sighting in" or "hold your breath". Just turn and fire!!
Old July 18, 2007, 05:54 PM   #5
W.E.G.

What kind of training are you seeking?

Sure, you can train to shoot skeet - and that will make you a proficient skeet shooter.

I don't think skeet shooting carries over much to the self-defense arena though.

If you can find a "range" (place to shoot) that does not require you to do all firing from a bench into a defined backstop. You can set up your own targets. Then practice shooting while moving, and reloading while moving. Also practice carrying the arm while doing other tasks. I think that's probably the kind of "training" you are asking about.

One thing that is fun - I'm not sure how much training it is though - is shooting milk jugs in the pasture. Leave the caps on the jugs. Put the jugs in a pile out in the pasture. The grass needs to be relatively short. Then, from a distance that will not absolutely demolish the jug with one shot, hit it with a birdshot round. The jugs will scatter, and you can run around the pasture blasting the jugs with your scattergun. Once you scatter the jugs, run a circle around them and blast them back into a single pile. Once you figure out the optimum range, you can hit a single jug numerous times without destroying it, but while still making it jump good each time you hit it. Again, I wouldn't call it "training" really. Just horseing around with the shotgun. Be sure of the area beyond your target at all times. Don't shoot the tractor.