The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 19, 2004, 09:36 PM   #1
Bezoar

Cumbustible Cartridges

Does anyone here make their own paper cartridges? How do you figure out the proper taper for the cartridge? No information i can find says that the bullets were lubed at any time of manufacture, but loads for the enfield rifle as made in india have the bullet/bullet end of the finished cartridge dipped in tallow/bees wax.

And does anyone have any information on the TINFOIL Cartridges made by Colt's cartridge plant in the 18502-early civil war?

Colt charged 25 dollars for a gun that only took 12.50-13.00 to build, Remington charged 15 for a gun that took 12 or so to build.
Old October 23, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Tom2

Dixie gun works

I thought DGW had the makins for combustable cartridges. I guess you have to have some real thin paper soaked with nitrate for proper ones, that sounds like a fire hazard lying around to me! Fwoosh!
Old October 23, 2004, 07:39 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thin cotton paper immersed in nitrate solution and then dried works well. Some reenactors use glue sticks but I've heard that Waterglass also works well (and won't leave deposits like glue sticks).