The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 10, 2002, 11:17 AM   #1
SHIVAN

Newbie NFA stuff....and weapon choice.

Can someone state a factual progression of buying your first automatic rifle. I am now seriously starting to look for an M16 and was wondering the way it usually goes down.

Do I find and pay for the rifle first? Or do I find it and then fill out paperwork and then get approved and then pay?

I have a mint condition Armalite AR-15 lower, should I look for an RDIAS? Or a lightning link? Or should I just look for a registered receiver/full weapon?

From what I've seen, I can get an Colt M16A1 right now for $7500, but I hear that is on the high end. I should be looking around $5500. Any truth to that?

Anything to stay away from? What ramifications would I have with two fully completed and operational AR15's sharing space with a full auto M16?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Ed

Last edited by SHIVAN; September 10, 2002 at 07:42 PM.
Old September 10, 2002, 07:41 PM   #2
ACP230

Paying depend to a degree on the seller's preferences. Some want the whole price up front, but more agree to half down and half when the papers clear.
I bought two of my subguns that way. I agreed to buy the gun, the dealer sent me the papers which I filled out and sent back along with a copy of my Curio & Relics license. Maybe someone else can advise you on your other questions.
Old September 10, 2002, 08:25 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

First, you find the gun you want and fix the price. The dealer may want full payment, half payment, deposit or nothing up front.

The dealer provides you with 2 copies of ATF Form 4. You fill out the form, attach two passport type photos, complete the fingerprint cards and have the forms signed by your Chief Law Enforcement Officer where you reside.

The forms and the appropriate tax fee are then sent to ATF and you wait until they are approved. Once approved, you go to the dealer and pick up the gun.

There is no problem with having AR15s and M16s and parts for both. If you get rid of the M16, it's a good idea to get rid of the parts specidically for it as ATF considers M16 parts without an M16 and possession of an AR15 as a no-no.

In regards to conversion or straight M16, I prefer a factory manufactured machinegun over a sear gun any day.

NRA Life Member
Old September 11, 2002, 12:27 PM   #4
JimFromFL

You forgot an important step.
After locking in on the item and price and BEFORE sending a check you need to verify the seller. Make sure this person is reputable and legit.