The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 27, 2016, 08:59 AM   #1
PhilBob

Which IWB Holster for Which Carry Location

I've seen a read a lot of posts that ask about which IWB holster people are using, or which is "the best", etc. In the discussions, however, what I generally don't see are references to where the gun is being carried. Are certain holsters or types of holsters better for carrying at, say, 1-2 o'clock, versus at 3 or 4 o'clock? If, for example, I wanted to carry my gun more to the front of my body (I think that is referred to as "appendix" carry?) are there certain types of holster styles I should look for or stay away from?

I just bought my first handgun last week (M&P Shield 9MM) and am a ways off from getting my LTC but I want to get used to carrying and do so around the house until I qualify and get my license.

Thanks for any input!
Old January 27, 2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Captains1911

For a righty, 10:00-2:00 is considered appendix, and so an appendix specific holster is recommended (AIWB). 3:00-5:00 is where the typical IWB holster would be worn.
Old January 27, 2016, 02:23 PM   #3
Sharkbite

PhilBob

As a professional firearms and tactics trainer for the past 30 years, let me throw my 2c in.

First, i carry appendix all day/every day. But i caution new shooters against it. Just like live fire building clearing is an advanced skill..so is appendix carry.

You MUST have FIRMLY and subconsciously trained your trigger finger on where it must be during the draw and the subsequent re-holster.

Appendix carry has some great benifits for the well trained shooter. It is a recipe for disaster for the new shooter.

Ive taught at some of the largest and most well known schools in the country and carried in harms way around the world. Some of my fellow trainers absolutely love appendix carry, but we all agree its only for the highly trained and serious student of the gun.
Old January 27, 2016, 06:35 PM   #4
9x45

Same as Shark, started carrying AIWB in 1968 with 1911s, switched to Glocks in 1992. It is definitely not for 1st timers. I like the Alabama Hooker.

Old January 28, 2016, 07:25 AM   #5
Inazone

You may want to try a couple different inexpensive holsters to wear at various positions, and see what's most comfortable for you when walking around, sitting down and standing up (including in and out of a vehicle) and doing common day-to-day activities. I've run into quite a few folks who don't carry because it makes routine movement and activities uncomfortable and/or inconvenient, which I chalk up largely to the wrong holster or wrong position.

Seasonal clothing changes may also be a factor depending on how you dress for various conditions. If you are wearing a t-shirt made from thin material during the summer, how a holster rides against your skin is certainly going to be a factor, eventually if not immediately. In cooler weather, if you have a sweater or sweatshirt over an undershirt, you might find it more comfortable to have an IWB in between the two. Personally, I prefer a simple nylon IWB holster most of the time, but if doing a lot of physical activity while still needing IWB concealment, I prefer a Bianchi leather holster.

Just something to think about.
Old January 28, 2016, 10:32 AM   #6
PhilBob

Good advice all! Thanks!

Then if I lean toward the 3-5:00 position carry what are the advantages/disadvantages of single versus dual clip holsters?
Old January 28, 2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Sharkbite

For strong side hip carry IWB, im not a fan of clip type attachments points. There is too much "tugging" on the holster as you bend over and move around. This can lead to the clips working off the belt and leaving the holster unsecured.

For IWB, i like the Blade-tech type snap loops. Its easier for me to put the holster onto the belt before i put the pants on and then holster the gun normally.

I would also caution AGAINST the above mentioned nylon holsters. You'll want something that is rigid enough to stay open when the gun is drawn. Otherwise re-holstering is problematic. You are going to want to practice (A LOT) drawing your pistol. A holster that collapses everytime the gun is drawn will not allow you to simply reholster (one handed) as you should learn to do.
Old January 28, 2016, 01:20 PM   #8
9x45

J-hook, belt loop, good. Not J-hook, not belt loop, not good.

Clips and Nylon, bad.

Old January 28, 2016, 01:24 PM   #9
Sharkbite

And there you have it. A picture is worth a thousand words...
Old January 28, 2016, 01:30 PM   #10
9x45

Don't forget the belt!

Good belt, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor 5 stitch

Not good belt, dress belts

bad belt, fabric, really bad

Old January 28, 2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Sharkbite

I ABSOLUTLY agree a good GUN belt is the foundation ot the holster system. There are a number of good looking leather belts out there, made by holster companies (Galco is my fav)
Old January 28, 2016, 01:34 PM   #12
9x45

Seen guys pull those crap nylon holster right outta their pants on a draw, just like the picture shows. A good holster and belt that works are under $100. And use OEM mags and good quality defense ammo also. Make sure whatever round you choose runs in the gun that you carry.
Old January 28, 2016, 01:35 PM   #13
9x45

Shark, you don't find the leather to be too thick?
Old January 28, 2016, 06:44 PM   #14
9x45

I also notice the guy with the clip holster is not using Master Grip, and also the retention strap is over the hammer on his 1911, both are not good.

Last edited by 9x45; January 28, 2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old January 28, 2016, 07:53 PM   #15
Sharkbite

Quote:
Shark, you don't find the leather to be too thick?
Old January 30, 2016, 09:12 AM   #16
PhilBob

I appreciate all of the input!

So, if I wanted to carry just in front of my right hip is that still considered "appendix carry"?
Old January 30, 2016, 10:07 AM   #17
Nathan

Rick Garcia knows how to make a belt! Not too thick, not too thin.....just right. I think I paid ~$70 to my door for this last one.

http://www.rgleather.net