The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 2, 2010, 12:00 AM   #1
miykael

Ruger M77 Hawkeye Laminate Compact

Well, I bought a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Laminate Compact with the 16.5" barrel in .308. I wanted a "bush gun" but in a bolt action and the little Ruger fits the bill. Only broke barrel in and some test loads so far. I had a VAIS Muzzle Brake installed because the rifle is 6lbs and kicks far more than my Savage 10FP.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...ct/models.html

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/ (VAIS website)

The difference with the VAIS MB was night and day. It definitely lives up to the claims. Recoil dramatically dropped and without an increase in sound dB!! I would recommend this VMB to anyone who buys this rifle. The only problem I encountered was I had to go to a fast burning powder - Hodgdon H322 - which limits my hand loads to 155 grains bullets (but I'm using 150's). Haven't tried a slower powder yet since the VMB was on but might later on. There was a lot of flash with the slower powder previously. Going to use the new IMR XBR8208 for my Savage 10FP, so I might try some of those loads to see if the flash is still prominent with the VMB (yes I know it's not a flash suppresor).

The only real problem that I encoutered is that I LOVE my Savage 10FP and the Ruger trigger is well...not a Savage Accu-Trigger. I'm spoiled...thanks a lot Savage. I should have bought a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine and probably will sell my Ruger and do that. I realized at the range that I am not a free hold shooter. I like the precision shooting off a bipod, so will probably be hunting "sniper" style. Good thing that a friend of mine was an ex-sniper for the US Army. I bought the Ruger for ease of carry but now realize that I'm a Savage nut! The Ruger's a great rifle for it's purpose but not for a spoiled Savage shooter.

If anyone is in the Fraser Valley, BC area and wants to buy this rifle, let me know. I'm advertising it on firearmscanada.com

Last edited by miykael; October 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old October 2, 2010, 11:51 AM   #2
miykael

Ruger Trigger's Useless - Best Replacement?

Anyone know what the best replacement is for the Ruger trigger? Timney? Thanks!
Old October 2, 2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Wleoff

miykael, I ordered the Timney trigger; but there's also a Rifle Basix trigger that supposed to work well and is a little cheaper. I found people, online, that like both of these triggers for the Ruger M77 Hawkeye.
http://www.eabco.com/ruger-triggers.html
http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/in...oduct_list&c=8
Old October 2, 2010, 01:11 PM   #4
miykael

Thanks

Thanks Wleoff, will check it out. I know for the the VAIS Muzzle Brake made a huge difference and since I hate the trigger, a good one might change my mind on keeping the rifle.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:40 PM   #5
trooper3385

If the trigger is the only thing you don't like about the rifle, I would try a new trigger before giving up on it. That's a pretty easy low cost fix. Change out the trigger and if you still don't like the gun then get rid of it.
Old October 3, 2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Abel

Quote:
If the trigger is the only thing you don't like about the rifle, I would try a new trigger before giving up on it. That's a pretty easy low cost fix.
Exactly. I would never get rid of that little Ruger if I could help it. Its so small and handy.
Old November 8, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7
miykael

Benchmark has best range

Just tried Hodgdon Benchmark and it works great for this short barrel. It's fast enough to not cause flames and it works up to heavy bullet weights - although I won't go past 180 grains.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Abel

Any pics of your rifle?
Old November 13, 2010, 11:14 PM   #9
miykael

The pictures

Here's a link to the pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10261161...eat=directlink

Yeah, I'm kind of torn on the Ruger. It's a beautiful little rifle and great on the hunt. I sold my Savage 10FP and was thinking of replacing both rifles now with one Savage 10 Precision Carbine (20" Barrel) for target and hunting (since hunting is only a couple months a year).

Last edited by miykael; November 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old November 14, 2010, 04:56 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Keep in mind that the Timney trigger is not a drop-in component.
You're likely to need to inlet the stock (for an adjustment screw), and modify the trigger and/or sear so the safety is operable. It's an easy process for those that are mechanically inclined, but requires attention to detail, and patience.
Old November 14, 2010, 09:59 PM   #11
warbirdlover

The trigger on my Ruger Mk II all-weather is a little on the heavy side but I've never had one break so nice.
Old December 24, 2010, 02:17 PM   #12
miykael

Does break nice

All my rifle was traded off, I must agree, the trigger was heavy but did break nice. Still, I'm a Savage Accutrigger nut now.
Old December 24, 2010, 04:49 PM   #13
TX Hunter

You might not want to let that little rifle go,
I have one very similar to it, mine is a Ruger M77 MK2 Frontier .308
I took it and had the butstock shimmed and a Packmyer recoil added, it took the bite right out of it.
I mounted a Leupold VX2 3x9x40 on the reciever, the little gun is as handy as a button on a shirt, and very acurate.
I use Remington Coreloct 150 grain cartridges in it, and it kills very cleanly.
I have taken three deer with it, one of them 150 yards away, one at just over 100 yards and one at about 60 yards.
I dont use my Savage anymore, in fact I gave it to my son.
I dont notice the gun to be any louder than my other rifles, but maby my ears are not as good as they use to be. These guns grow on you quick.
Old December 25, 2010, 02:00 AM   #14
GeauxTide

I bought two Rugers last year - a Compact SS in 260 and a Hawkeye in 280. The triggers broke clean at 4 pounds ROTB! I'm with you on the Savage. My Weather Warrior in 260 breaks at 3 pounds. Most unbelievable trigger I've used in 40 years.

Tags
.308 , hawkeye , laminate compact , m77 , ruger