The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 31, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Garycw

Help with SKS ??

Just got a lot her norinco SKS that had stock replacement. I noticed the original wood hand guard was left on. When trying to remove to clean & possibly replace, it will not come off? I've moved the lever release to proper position & wiggled, pried but no go. It's like the plunger that cycles the bolt has possibly been released by moving lever all the way up and has extended slightly into the gas tube?? Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks,
Old January 1, 2013, 12:48 AM   #2
DnPRK

Some are not fitted well and it takes ham-handed prying to get the tube past the catch. Good luck.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Garycw

Is it even possible?

Is it even possible for the short piston to move up into the gas tube some if the release lever is moved all the way up to release position? I will put upside down on gun vise & get out the hammer. If it does come out without damaging it, I suppose I'll try filing/ grinding some off the end of the gas tube closest to the bolt. ?
Old January 1, 2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Garycw

No luck

I dissembled tried a punch & hammer while prying. I appears something needs to be unpinned or something. ? I've never seen one back under the gas block like that. If I rotate gas block more forward it moves up easily 1/8" but then the block is really in the way of lifting out. Anyone have have other ideas??