The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 18, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Creedmoor Scope Stands

Hey all, looking to purchase a Creedmoor scope stand for F-class soon.

Question is, is there a compelling reason to buy the new Polecat version over the Creedmoor deluxe tripod stand, which is FAR cheaper.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Creedmoor_Stands/

For those of you who have the deluxe tripod version, does it extend the scope towards you enough?

Looking to buy very soon, let me know your thought!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
kraigwy

I think you'll be happier with the bipod deluxe stand (first picture in your link).

Its a copy of the Freeland stand I've been using for over 35 years and works great.

Here is a hint about scope stands. We know they wiggle in the wind, and sometimes blow over. You can reduce the wiggle and prevent them from being blow over by adding weight to the bottom.

First measure the threads of your extensions. Find a bolt that will screw into the female part.

Now take a large tuna fish can, stand the bolt up in the middle of the can and pour in hot lead, keeping the bolt centered and standing up.

On your extensions, the bottom one will be sticking out below the scope stand. Screw that one on they weight you just make.

Sure makes the scope and stand easier to use in the wind.

This works great in F Class or 1000 yard matches where you don't have to pack the scope except to the firing line.

In high power you have to carry your gear to different firing lines and the weight is too heavy, so just screw it off the scope extensions and leave it in your truck.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 20, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Slamfire

Let me recommend against the bipod scope stand. If you use the old 65 mm scopes it will work, but when you get to the bigger 77, 82, 100 mm scopes, the thing will tip over and bury your objective lense in the dirt. That is why the tripod stands have taken over, they are much more stable. My Freeland bipod tipped over and chipped the eyepiece lense on my Leupold spotting scope, it did not take much to fall.

I have been using Anna's magnum scope stand for almost ten years now. It is stiff and the tension adjustment knobs are a great idea.

http://www.first-strike-products.com/

I have seen a number of people with Vin-Ray stands.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Ray-Vin-Stand/