The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 19, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1
2cooltoolz

Comp-Tac Minotaur.....Camoflaged

OK...I bought a Comp-Tac MTAC Minotaur a couple of months ago. Great, high quality, well constructed, well thought out holster. Leather backing/base, with a smooth leather lining to cover hardware and feel smooth against the skin. Great design, in its modularity and adjustability. You can buy different KYDEX shells to precision fit various guns, so you don't have to replace the entire rig.
You can also buy different clips for it and set these at different heights to adjust ride height and, to some degree, cant. The placement of the clips (fore and aft of the gun) keep the profile slim.
The different clips also have different levels and types of concealability and, accordingly, different levels of support and stability. I started out with the "C clip" design. Similar to the traditional "J-clip" except that it has a top belt support. The weakness in "J-clips" is that the belt doesn't support the weight, just locks the holster down on draw. The "C-clips" are more stable but also bulky and pretty obvious.

The standard MTAC clip is a reverse J hook, that goes over the belt and locks underneath. Very well supported and stable but right out there in plain view. So I started looking for a disguise. I modified a NiteIze cell phone holster and a Leatherman Multi-tool holster to fit on the clips.

Old May 19, 2008, 10:30 PM   #2
2cooltoolz

Hides away pretty well..

I set the clips to ride pretty high, I like 2 o'clock carry.

It still tucks away pretty nicely.

Old May 22, 2008, 01:08 PM   #3
hihosilver

I was just looking at those online. Was there a long wait when you ordered the holster? Also, can you move the clips up or down on the leather, or do you actually by different length clips to change the kant. I also had the same idea with the cell phone case, but I guess the other clip would have to be covered by a knife or something. That is the exact same way I prefer to carry, or the most comfortable for me. good luck

looks like one of those expensive 9mm's , forgot the name
Old May 23, 2008, 12:44 AM   #4
2cooltoolz

I got the holster in about a week. The clips have about 5 holes for adjusment (depending on which clip you buy) so you can change cant and ride height by varying which hole you connect.