The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2007, 12:24 PM   #1
woddoe

reloading .32 ACP with .22 LR

Hi there,
I have sold my old .22 LR rifle, and bought a brand new .32 ACP pistol. I still have some thousand .22 LR rounds. Is it ok to reload the .32 acp shells with the powder of the .22 LR shell?, the load will be too strong or too anemic? Thanks for your comments.
Old January 2, 2007, 12:39 PM   #2
1tomcat

doesnt sound like a good idea to me
Old January 2, 2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Bud Helms

'Matter of fact, it sounds like a bad idea.
Old January 2, 2007, 12:43 PM   #4
steveno

you should have kept the 22 rifle
Old January 2, 2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Buckythebrewer

Agree!!bad idea!.All powders have different burn rates and pressures under different conditions and volumes.That 22lr may have a fast burning powder and measured to safely send that little bullet.You take that fast burning powder and fill the 32cal round up and you may have a BOMB in your hands..
ONLY go by LOADING data from the manuals to be on the safe side.Even when I have quoted a manual,I tell the person to double check to make sure there are no errors on my part or his/hers.
Old January 2, 2007, 08:57 PM   #6
amamnn

Buy "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee and read it before you load anything.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:44 PM   #7
Buckythebrewer

+1 Modern reloading 2nd edition. Own it ,and love it
Old January 3, 2007, 12:50 AM   #8
cloudcroft

woddoe,

If you're for real, no, do not do that.

Save the .22 ammo because someday, you probably WILL be getting another .22LR rifle...everyone should have at least one .22 rifle...and LOTS of ammo for it.

-- John D.
Old January 3, 2007, 01:40 AM   #9
inkie

Woddoe,
If you are not a troll, take cloudcrofts advice save all the .22 ammo because after you load the powder in your new .32 reloads you will need the .22s in your new .22 rifle.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:57 AM   #10
stevelyn

Not only NO, but HAYEL NO.

Get a copy of "The ABCs of Reloading" and a good reloading manual. I like the Lyman, but any of the manuals available from component manufacturers are good. As a matter of fact, get two and cross-reference them.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old January 3, 2007, 03:31 AM   #11
woddoe

Thanks Guys, It is a bad idea!

I agree with you that it is a bad idea. I never should have traded the .22 LR rifle for the .32 ACP. Thanks guys for your replies.
Old January 3, 2007, 01:30 PM   #12
cloudcroft

woddoe,

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a .32ACP, or even a .22LR handgun.

Personally, I am either carrying (concealed) a Beretta 21A Bobcat (.22LR) or a Beretta 3202 Tomcat (.32ACP) at any given time...so I was not commenting on your choice of the .32.

I was just saying -- as others have -- that you can't take one cartridge and use the powder for another...unless you don't mind losing your hands/eyes or other body parts in the likely resulting explosion and shrapnel air burst!

So just keep the .22 ammo for your next .22 gun (rifle or handgun).

For now, if you want to reload for your .32ACP, check out the loading data and learn to reload your .32 PROPERLY...that's all.

I will be reloading MY .32ACP...reloading metallic cartridges is not really hard or complicated, just do it right.

And there's nothning wrong with having several guns, either. I figure it would take a Baker's Dozen of guns to cover all aspects of shooting (target/hunting/self-defense, etc., but I DO believe you really CAN have too many guns and too much ammo...but that's a minority view only held by me I guess). Each gun/caliber has it's own particular tactical-niche/mission, if you will.

So, it doesn't have to be "a .22 OR a .32" question...maybe it is NOW for you if you're on a small budget but later on, you can always get another .22.

So I wouldn't look at what you did is as a mistake.

Besides, just ask all the "veteran" gun-owners here how many guns THEY got rid of in the past and wish they didn't!

It happens to all of us, but you can just get another gun later on...it's really no big deal.

Good luck,

-- John D.
Old January 3, 2007, 01:53 PM   #13
jdmick

Let's assume it would be OK to take the 22LR apart for the powder for use in your .32. For some reason I checked one a while ago and there was 2 grains of powder. At 7000g per pound you would have to take apart 3500 rounds to save yourself about $16. I could give you a job for slightly better pay than that.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:12 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

No, No, No!

Absolutely not! Don't do it.

Worst case, your .32 could turn into a grenade in your hand.

For reloading, use only canister grade powder sold for the purpose. Use only reliable published loading data from one of the major ammo or reloading component companies. Anything else is asking for trouble. And there is no way of knowing in advance whether it will be minor, or very serious trouble. And by very serious trouble I mean a broken/damaged or even destroyed gun, and personal injury. People have lost eyes, fingers, use of hands, and in rare cases, even been killed by exploding guns.

Don't risk it!
Old January 4, 2007, 01:37 AM   #15
PsychoKnight

Do It! Do It! - I wanna see . . .

How do you extract powder from a 22LR, SAFELY ???

How long would it take to dismantle each round? How would you figure load data to use the powder if you have no clue what powder you have ?

I think this is definately an opportunity to test the Darwin theory and improve the overall global gene pool.

I say do it and let us know what happens! Make sure you give your forum username, password, and instructions to a friend to let us know the results if you are unable to do so.
Old January 11, 2007, 10:37 AM   #16
woddoe

Some comments

Hi all again, and special thanks to Cloudcroft. It definitely does not make sense to dismantle a .22 LR and use it to reload a .32 ACP when you live in the US. You are really lucky because in the US the good guys are authorized to have guns (bad guys do not require a licence usually anywhere in the world .

I apologize: there is a vital piece of information I have concealed in my post: I live in Western Europe, (you know... that little place in the corner of the map where the good guys have to defend themselves with a broomstick when the baddies break in in your home armed to the teeth.) Here IT is almost impossible to get a licence for a hand gun, not to mention that buying handgun ammo is an impossible task. No chance at all of legally buying powder (unless you are a terrorist).

Many of you who know Europe do know how we envy America for granting her citizens the right to oppose equal force when defending your families AT HOME. We do not have such a right.

Does anyone know how much powder is it in a .22 LR remington yellow jacket for sure?

Last edited by woddoe; January 11, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:36 AM   #17
gb_in_ga

A> Don't Do It! You have no idea what that powder is, what the burn rate is, or anything. Just DON'T.

B> Keep the ammo. You'll be getting another .22lr down the line, trust me. Everyone needs a .22lr, be it a rifle, a handgun or both. They are just too much fun to not have, and cheap to shoot as well.
Old January 11, 2007, 12:23 PM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

GOOD GOD NO!

You have NO clue what the powder is.

You have NO clue how much to use for the increased case diameter/bullet weight of the .32.

You have NO clue if it's even safe to use that particular powder in the .32.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 11, 2007, 09:05 PM   #19
ziggy222

sounds like where you live,you could sell your ammo for a decent price,thats what i would do.if your thinking of taking those rounds apart to sell the powder,you will get someone hurt bad and maybe get yourself sued and or arrested.if your serious about the question you've asked,i suggest not only selling your 22ammo,but also selling your reloading equipment before you get hurt.