The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2014, 12:41 AM   #1
reynolds357

CZ 912

Anyone have any good information about the 912? It seems like quite a gun for the money. My 1100 died (2nd one to do that) and I am looking for a replacement. Definitely not complaining about the 1100's they lasted a long time.
Old March 23, 2014, 12:54 AM   #2
the rifleer

I have a cz 712 and I can strait up tell you its not a good gun.

They are made by Huglu in Turkey. Mine was extremely reliable for the first 500 rounds and I was very happy with it. After that the magazine tube some how expanded, causing too much friction to allow the piston to travel. At the time I thought it was the piston, so I called CZ and they shipped me a new piston no questions asked.

I replaced it and had the gun fire out of battery, which exploded the fore grip. This also destroyed the trigger group.

Long story short, do not by these shotguns. They are cheaply made and are not good.

Spend some extra money and get a franchi or a benelli or FN or anything decently made. That really is the way to go.

I read a few negative reviews and thought "well maybe they just got a lemon and i wont have that problem." I'm warning you now, spend the extra money for a well made shotgun. Benelli in particular has a great reputation for lasting for very high round counts. I'm not saying benelli is the best, im just saying you can do alot better than a CZ shotgun. They seem like a bargan, but they aren't.
Old March 23, 2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Virginian

Just curious, how did you manage to kill 2 Model 1100s?
Old March 23, 2014, 10:22 AM   #4
08-105th

Check out this review, I purchsed my CZ 912 last week...
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=250848
Old March 23, 2014, 04:46 PM   #5
reynolds357

Thanks for the info rifleer. You made my mind up for me.

I shot both 1100's until the receiver cracked on them. I used and abused them shooting skeet, trap, and dove until I switched to Franchi over and unders. Now I just want something cheap to drag through the woods and shoot rabbits, hogs, and occasionally I would use it instead of the doubles for dove hunting.