The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 18, 2013, 12:40 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
In the 2008 panic ammo and guns were starting to come back around this area by mid April.
It seemed to coincide with income taxes coming due. I'm predicting much the same this time.

That said, the panic was larger in scale in 2012 than it was in 2008. It's taking manufacturers longer to catch up with the backlog, and I'd expect ammunition to be tricky through August.

From December until recently, it was a seller's market on many things. In a month or so, that will flip, and we'll be seeing fire-sale pricing for "unfired LNIB" AR-15 rifles all over the secondary market.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:17 PM   #27
jrz_dad

prices on the AR's down here in OK seem to be coming down a bit too...lots of ads pretty much stating the same thing (what we have in it)...just gonna hold out awhile longer and look for a deal
Old March 18, 2013, 01:50 PM   #28
zincwarrior

On the positive, I never had a real desire for an AR-15 type. But if prices on the used side really dump in the future then it might be something to look at.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:58 PM   #29
Dragline45

Things seem to be turning around, went into the shop last week and and saw a wall full of AK's and AR's, and mind you I am in Massachusetts. Even a large availability of pre-ban 30rd AK and 20rd USGI mags. All were priced the same as they always have been so no inflated prices. Ammo was still kind of slim pickings although there was a good availability, also the pistol cases only held about half of what they normally do.
Old March 20, 2013, 01:36 PM   #30
Rmart30

AR's , AK's and minis prices are all dropping pretty good.... after yestersay and them pulling the AWB part of the bill out that should bring them down even more... Hi cap magazines on the other hand which are still in the bill will probably remain high until the bill either passes or fails. At which time they will drop or rise even more in price if they ban them.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:50 PM   #31
orangello

Here's hoping some dentist put his cavity money into a nice AR in .308 for me.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:28 PM   #32
Ignition Override

A month ago I walked from a hotel (West Little Rock) over to Bullseye Guns, on Markham Blvd.

They had about four-five rifles in the AR configuration. They did Not look like .22s.
There was a fair bit of ammo on the left wall in numerous flavors (even 7.62x39), with a three-box limit.

My question will be when will this sink in and lead to less fever to buy ammo at scalper prices?
Old March 20, 2013, 09:15 PM   #33
Spats McGee
Staff

The ones I mentioned in Post #19 were out at Fort Thompson, Ignition Override.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:04 AM   #34
ken p.

High Prices

People are trying to sell there guns for a very high price right now because they are a pretty long waiting time from the Manufactures. I saw on Cheaper than Dirt they wanted $599.00 for a Beta C mag for an AR 15 AND $69.00 FOR A 30 ROUND COLT AR 15 MAG. People should keep these cheating companys in mind when all this BS is over on guns and ammo prices. Don't buy from these companys that tried to screw the public because of the shortages. People asking to much for there rifles and ammo will not sell them unless some one that does not know better will pay their prices. Things will get back to where they were in a few months just as soon as all this Gov. and State laws are stuck down in the courts. Please don't think these stupid laws that they are coming up with are going to pass mustar when they get to the courts. At least I don't think they will stand up. To much BS written into the new laws.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #35
Kimio

I hope to see some good prices on AK's in the coming days. I may be able to pick up a nice Arsenal "gently used"
Old May 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #36
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm seeing reasonable AR mags around here on the internet. CDNN has some ARs at not panic level prices - a touch higher but not end of the world.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:01 PM   #37
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
People should keep these cheating [companies] in mind when all this BS is over on guns and ammo prices. Don't buy from these [companies] that tried to screw the public because of the shortages. People asking [too] much for [their] rifles and ammo will not sell them unless some one that does not know better will pay their prices.
It is a free market. Prices go up when demand goes up (and supply is short). That is not to "cheat" or "screw the public," it is to make sure the supplier doesn't run out of product too soon. Those who need (or want) it now will pay the increased price and the product remains available for them. Those who can wait, will. When the inventory does not move at the higher price, it will be dropped by the seller.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:04 PM   #38
Gaerek

Ironically, the mags that I'm having the most trouble finding locally are 10 round .22LR mags...

I can find anything for my Glock, and AR/AK mags are plentiful (if not a bit overpriced compared to pre-panic). AR's are now, maybe 10-15% above pre-panic levels, and there's a ton of them available. Ammo, of course, is the issue. I've been trying to buy .22LR ammo for a while and have only managed 4 boxes of CCI Stingers at about $7 per 50 (ouch). I did see some Eley match ammo yesterday, but they wanted $22 for a 50 round box... *sigh*
Old May 1, 2013, 12:05 PM   #39
zincwarrior

Of course, as part of being a free market, we have the absolute right to remember who charged what and tender our business based on that.

I know I won't do business with a flipper.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:29 PM   #40
Tom Servo
Staff

The Colt LE6920 has been my benchmark on price for awhile. They were $1200-1300 before the panic. The first weekend, they were going for $3600-4000 at the local gun shows.

Now we're seeing them around $1400, which is pretty close to normalcy. I'm also seeing a lot of "LNIB" or "unfired" AR's on the secondary market.

Ironically, I got an email from Cheaper Than Dirt Last week advertising the same rifle for $2899. They still don't get it.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:38 PM   #41
Glenn E. Meyer

I saw them at CDNN fro 1260 in today's mail.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:48 PM   #42
Wyoredman

Today's local paper has 7 AR's for sale ranging from $1800 to $2500. Looks like folks are trying to dump guns they paid too much for.

All three LGS have AR's on the rack for "normal" pre-panic prices!

I suspect these folks are not going to sell their guns unless they take a huge loss.

Honestly!
Old May 1, 2013, 12:48 PM   #43
Patriot86

LE6920 at my LGS on Friday for $1,250.00....prices are coming down though certain rifles at certain shops are still a little high. Now its the ammo thats the biggest bugger to deal with.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:56 PM   #44
ChrisTx

slickguns has two colts on there for $1149 and one for $1059.
Old May 1, 2013, 01:32 PM   #45
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Looks like folks are trying to dump guns they paid too much for.
Many are not happy. I've dealt with it a few times already. Folks overpaid in anticipation of "the ban," and now they've got to free up the cash. They are not happy with the offers they're getting.

"That's one third of what I paid back in December! You people are ripping me off! These are rare! Just like the...the...14 others you've got in stock now. Um. Hrm. Well, you're still jerks for not giving me twice retail for it! ☠☠☠☠☠☠!"

This summer is going to be a buyer's market for much of that stuff.
Old May 1, 2013, 01:36 PM   #46
deepcreek

I noticed the gun shop down the road had the racks full of ARs the other day, which I though was a good sign because stores could not keep them in stock a couple of months ago. I have been casually watching AKs on armslist I noticed some Romanians for $750 sitting on there. last month people had them listed at $1000.+

Ammo is still a problem. But I am going to be watching the used ammo looking for deals in a couple of months. I don't really care what someone paid. when you buy at the top of a bubble you lose. Bad Karma for making me conserve bullets this winter, lol
Old May 1, 2013, 01:39 PM   #47
Patriot86

I am headed to a gun show on May 19th up in Wisconsin, going to hopefully find some 9MM but I doubt I will. I'll report on what I find then.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:20 PM   #48
jnichols2

I bought my Colt 6920 in January, and paid more than I would have if I woke up a little earlier. My purchase wasn't so much a "panic buy" as a realization that I may need such a tool some day.

My Colt is no longer LNIB, and has been shot quite a bit. I learned how to use it while trying to accumulate a little ammo.

I do not have buyers remorse, and have no intention of selling it. Right now I have no interest in what prices are in big box or gun stores. If private seller prices come down, off the grid, I may consider.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:46 PM   #49
Mausermolt

this time last year a buddy of mine bought a 650$ M n' P 15 for "investment purposes"

about 3 months ago he flipped it for 1300$

heck i should have bought 3 of em and done the same! thats just good capitalism.
Old May 1, 2013, 04:30 PM   #50
Dalek

In my little spot of CO. there is no appreciable rhyme or reason that I can fathom when it comes to asking prices on privately advertised arms. It seems that "spinning the big wheel" comes into play with a hint of "My buddy told me my XYZ gun was worth a lot of money so..."

At least with ammo being advertised by individuals here, there is an open and honest sense of price gouging.