The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 31, 2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Bullcamp82834

PMC 44 Mag Ammo

PMC 44 Mag 240gr TCSP.

I am trying this load as a possible round for my woods carry gun. The "truncated" nose with very little lead exposed seem to indicate it would be a real penetrator with some delayed expansion. The PMC factory data claims 1300 fps. This would be as good as my handloaded 240 hard cast SWC load.

I'm asking anyone here with experience on the TCSP to give input.

Thanks
Old July 31, 2013, 01:09 PM   #2
madmo44mag

It comes down too what you think you may need to stop.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
kahrguy

Shoot a bullet into some water and see if it expands much. many of PMC's HP bullets are not know to be a quality Hp like say a speer bonded hp that does a fine job of both. Reality,, as long as your not standing down a grizzly anyplane ole anything sp or hp 44mag is fine.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:34 PM   #4
armsmaster270

I have used a lot of it but never tested it. Good shooting ammo, should penetrate good.
Old August 1, 2013, 08:09 AM   #5
dajowi

Why would you buy expensive, (about $40 a box) manufactured .44 ammo when you can hand load the same or better for a lower price?
Old August 1, 2013, 08:32 AM   #6
madmo44mag

Quote:
Why would you buy expensive, (about $40 a box) manufactured .44 ammo when you can hand load the same or better for a lower price?
exactly!

A 240 grain LRN bullet will handle most anything you come across.
Old August 1, 2013, 01:48 PM   #7
btmj

Quote:
Oh yes yes... why did I not think of that.

So maybe you fella's can help me out here. I need a reloading setup that does not involve any time commitment. If I had any spare time in a week, there are a hundred things I would need to be doing besides researching and referencing reloading manuals, sorting, cleaning , and priming brass, and pulling a lever over and over and over and over again. That is... IF I had any spare time. I don't.

So I need a reloading machine which I bring home, take out of the box, plug it in, and turn the dial to "44 mag" or "40 SW" and it just starts filling a basket full of cartridges... So where do I get a reloader like this?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but when you ask why some of us buy ammo instead of reloading, the answer is not that we are lazy, or ignorant... for some of us the answer is that we make the financial choice that buying ammo is a better use of our time than making ammo.
Old August 1, 2013, 03:45 PM   #8
btmj

My previous post comes across a bit more smart-@ss / snarky than it should have. I meant no offense, and I hope none was taken.

Jim
Old August 1, 2013, 07:41 PM   #9
kahrguy

btmj I understand your point of view just fine. Not everyone has that free time . I reloaded what I shot for a some years then desided if I was gona get anywhere in life a better spend free time working at something to make money. For me I spent most of 25 years getting ever bit of over moon light'n work I could find beside a 50 hour work week and when it came time to hunt the last thing I wanted to do was reload ammo. No just bang'n away with ammo ether. Now in my older age I have nothing but time so drag the old reloading equipment out and start reloading again. Good way to make time fly !!
Old August 1, 2013, 08:23 PM   #10
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted bybtmj: My previous post comes across a bit more smart-@ss / snarky than it should have.

Jim

Not to me, and I reload.

Kinda the same way I get when folks question why I still use an old single stage when I could load 600 rounds an hour with a Super Dilly Delux progressive. Could be I have more time than money, or maybe I enjoy it. Some folks enjoy shoooting and don't mind buyin' factory ammo. Basically the majority of folks that own firearms. Why is it whenever someone asks about a factory round someone has to go off topic and start trollin' about reloading. Suggesting one try reloading is one thing...to chastise them because they don't is another. No different than when someone asks a question about .357 ammo and replies come back suggesting gettin' a .45 Colt.

To get back on topic....PMC makes good ammo. A JSP will almost always give more penetration than a traditional JHP.
Old August 2, 2013, 12:29 AM   #11
armsmaster270

Quote:
"Why would you buy expensive, (about $40 a box) manufactured .44 ammo when you can hand load the same or better for a lower price?"

When I bought it, it was on sale for under $20.00 a box so I get good ammo and free brass to load 240gr Hornady XTP's on my Dillon 550-B

Last edited by armsmaster270; August 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old August 2, 2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Mobuck

That specific ammo will penetrate "significantly". So far, I've not had one stop inside a deer even at ranges over 100 yards or as close as 20 yards(from a 16" Win 94 Trapper). Usually produces about 1" exit hole on ribcage hits even when bone is not hit.
I would say this load would punch through most obstacles and/or 2 or more humans or 1 fairly large bear.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:56 AM   #13
dajowi

My previous post comes across a bit more smart-@ss / snarky than it should have. I meant no offense, and I hope none was taken.

None taken here.

I certainly can agree that not everyone has the time or space which is required. Purchasing ammo from Walmart or your LGS can be less time consuming for those willing to pay the price. I found on the net a 50 round box of 240 gr. Fiocchi priced at $37.50 + $14.00 shipping. My 50 round box of 240 gr. costs around $8.00 or less.

While millions have gone without any ammo I've got plenty to shoot. And enough powder, brass, primers and bullets to load thousands more. Reloading is certainly worth my time.
Old August 3, 2013, 06:57 AM   #14
kahrguy

dajowi Guess you missed the question the op asked in his tread!!
]
That's ok , You can now help the OP understand all that it takes for eguipment and time needed to then load a box of ammo with a , single stage press.

Help out now with your advise and give him a cost breakdown of needed eguipment and how many rounds he would load making a quality hunting load with jacked hp ammo before all cost are covered before you make that first real 8 dollar box of ammo . Besure to cover pros and cons of cost and time difference between buying a quality jacked hp or lead bullets and casteing your own in the price cost and time sections. That 8 dollar a box of ammo probably comes with cast your own 44mag loads right. Then how about covering the time needed to load each box of ammo using a single stage press.

Might as well cover all the base's for the op.

Old August 3, 2013, 11:14 AM   #15
iraiam

I still have abox of that PMC ammo, I am sure it's good ammo, but I was not impressed, I never did any penetration testing with it, but my gas checked 240 grain SWC load is both more powerful and more accurate.

About the only time I pack my 44 magnum is when I feel my rank on the food chain will be compromised.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; August 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old August 3, 2013, 11:48 AM   #16
Bezoar

Its a 44 mag. Penetration shall be no issue. expansion may be an issue.

Now as far as reloading. perhaps the op has listened to the gun writers and is afraid that if he has to use it on a mugger when hes out in the back woods of say, oklahoma. He wont get tried for handloading up a super man stopper round.

sarcasm intended.
Old August 3, 2013, 12:02 PM   #17
dajowi

Let's assume that the OP wishes to purchase a standard single stage press and dies for .44 magnum from Midway USA just to use an example.

Lee single stage anniversary press kit $116.00
Lee .44 magnum Die set $41.00

That's $157 not including shipping.

Just using these figures as a starting point and comparing them with the price per box of .44 ammo $51.50 (as mentioned in my earlier post), the purchasing of four boxes of ammo or 200 rounds ($206.00) would cover the cost of the basic equipment for reloading including it's shipping.

Powder has been costing me $20 per pound
Primers about $35 per 1000
Bullets $60 per 500 240 gr. lead cast.
Midway has Hornady XTP bullets box of 100 for $24.50
Midway has new Starline brass (500 pieces) for $100

The variables related to the costs of bullets and brass are too many to list and no doubt less expensive alternatives than those listed can be found.

One doesn't need to purchase an expensive reloading manual. Load data for common calibers is supplied with the press kit. They are also available on powder manufacturer's websites.

Creating ammunition carefully tailored to my wants and needs using known quality components takes time. I can load a box of 50 in about two hours or less on my single stage press.

I could load more faster using a progressive or turret press if I wished but a single stage lets me concentrate on a single round, lessening the chances of an error while reloading.

Everyone has their own reasons why they do or do not reload. One piece of advise I have for the OP is that when they purchase that box of expensive .44 ammo that they retain the fired brass...it may come in handy someday.
Old August 4, 2013, 06:54 AM   #18
kahrguy

Now doesn't that make more sense than just throw'n about a bunch of what you should do is....... Now if you just had the amount of ammo needed to load get to that 8 dollar a box ammo. AS a loaders know that first box cost around 250 dollars a box and gets lower with time. hehe
Old August 4, 2013, 11:55 AM   #19
Bullcamp82834

The "OP" has been hand loading since about 1977 and prefers a 240 gr. hard cast at about 1325 for general woods use in 44 mag.

The thing about the PMC 240 gr. TCSP load is one of those side trips, mostly out of curiosity, that a gun nut sometimes takes. I think the unusual bullet design started it.
Old August 4, 2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Stevie-Ray

I used a lot of their 240 gr HPs in the old days. They were not only accurate, but sort of "controlled" expansion, much like XTPs. Many thought them an excellent deer load. Don't know if they still make that load, but I would definitely use that for a woods load if I preferred toting my Redhawk over my Glock 29.

Always liked PMC's stuff.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:06 AM   #21
kahrguy

bullcamp82834 Guess all you can do is try out the pmc ammo and see how it works out. I liked pmc many years ago . I will not go out of my way to buy it today as for me its like wwb ammo with the control issues. To many other good labels out there and I still reload for my 44 too. If you can get some to try noslers 240gr bonded sp does hold up to higher velocity My load is 1500fps. Just can't get any more right now. I do see high priced double tap is loading a 280 sp bonded so maybe tnosler has that bullet avalible / Its a new bullet to me. 280gr at 1300fps should make a good all around woods load.

That pmc bullet looks to be a closed base and softer lead core with no mention of a bonded core . It my make a fine thin skinned heart/lung load but trial and error is the only way to know for sure. Even pmc says its a game load not dangerous game ammo.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:13 AM   #22
kahrguy

bullcamp82834 Guess all you can do is try out the pmc ammo and see how it works out. I liked pmc many years ago . I will not go out of my way to buy it today as for me its like wwb ammo with the control issues. To many other good labels out there and I still reload for my 44 too. If you can get some to try noslers 240gr bonded sp does hold up to higher velocity My load is 1500fps. Just can't get any more right now. I do see high priced double tap is loading a 280 sp bonded so maybe tnosler has that bullet avalible / Its a new bullet to me. 280gr at 1300fps should make a good all around woods load.

That pmc bullet looks to be a closed base and softer lead core with no mention of a bonded core . It my make a fine thin skinned heart/lung load but trial and error is the only way to know for sure. Even pmc says its a game load not dangerous game ammo so let us know how it works out.
Old August 12, 2013, 08:19 PM   #23
larryh1108

Oh yes yes... why did I not think of that.

Quote:
So maybe you fella's can help me out here. I need a reloading setup that does not involve any time commitment. If I had any spare time in a week, there are a hundred things I would need to be doing besides researching and referencing reloading manuals, sorting, cleaning , and priming brass, and pulling a lever over and over and over and over again. That is... IF I had any spare time. I don't.

So I need a reloading machine which I bring home, take out of the box, plug it in, and turn the dial to "44 mag" or "40 SW" and it just starts filling a basket full of cartridges... So where do I get a reloader like this?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but when you ask why some of us buy ammo instead of reloading, the answer is not that we are lazy, or ignorant... for some of us the answer is that we make the financial choice that buying ammo is a better use of our time than making ammo.
Offended?
No.
Actually, I'm proud of the way you projected your thoughts.

It's amazing how many people feel that their way is the only way. It goes up there with asking which 9mm is the best value and a bunch of replies criticize you for not having a 4 in the first spot. Some people just dont get it and every now and then a well worded reply like yours is needed.