The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 31, 2009, 06:33 PM   #1
salvadore

Raging timing

I looked at a Taurus Raging Bull .454 that the owner complained the cylinder would spin past the cylinder notch. The Hand engages the cylinder 4 out of 6 times prior to the bolt dropping all the way out on single action, no sweat on double action. I believe the pressure on the cylinder is causing said cylinder to spin rapidly past the bolt before the bolt comes into battery. Will carefully removing metal from the top of the hand fix the timing problem?
Old January 31, 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If you perform the thumb drag test on the cylinder, does the bolt (cylinder stop) engage the cylinder notch properly and does the hand slip off the ejector ratchet to allow the hammer to finish cocking in single action mode? I am trying to determine whether the hand actually pushes the cylinder too far or if the cylinder is just coasting over the bolt inertially? In the latter case, check that the spring pushing the bolt up has adequate tension. Taking a diamond hone and putting a chamfer on the top edge of the bolt on the side opposite the direction the cylinder notch moves toward it from, but not deeper than about half the depth to which the bolt engages in the notch, may allow it to start moving in before the cylinder can coast past it.

Taking metal off the hand to reduce single action hand engagement risks disabling double action operation since the hammer doesn't move back as far in double action operation. If you do reduce the hand, do the thumb drag test double action to make sure you don't reduce the metal enough to disable the double action function.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 31, 2009, 09:59 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Also, taking metal off the hand may create a condition where the hand will not contact the ratchet until the bolt has already dropped back in the cylinder notch, and then the gun won't work at all.

Make sure the cylinder bolt (cylinder stop) spring is not weak or even missing. On the Taurus pistols, that spring is in the crane and is sometimes bent or lost when the crane is removed.

Jim
Old February 1, 2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Wildalaska

Raging Bulls go out of time faster than that battery operated Rolex you can buy at the Tijuana border crossing

Send it back. Take advantage of the Taurus we make crap so will fix it forever guarantee

WildskipskipAlaska TM
Old February 1, 2009, 08:38 AM   #5
salvadore

The hand engages the cylinder before the bolt drops completely clear of the cylinder. This causes a momentary bind so that when the bolt releases the potential energy launches the cylinder past the next bolt slot before the bolt redeploys. This is a sometimes thing and besides the bind the SA timing is fine, DA pull does not have this problem. The owner is on a limited income and would like to avoid shipping charges etc.
Old February 1, 2009, 10:33 AM   #6
salvadore

OK, I'm a little more awake now. I understand that removing some metal from the left side of the bolt Would be a wiser move. I will explain to my friend what I have been advised and see how he wants to go. Thanks guys, is this a great forum or what?