The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Peakbagr

Hornady LnL powder thru expander problem

After spending a couple of evenings on the phone with one of the 'saints' here trying and trying, we could not get my LnL to bell the case with the powder thru expander.

We tried screwing out the drop tube a little at a time, until the tube was wobbling. Tried adjusting the clamp on the powder measure threads at both the highest and lowest the bracket assembly would allow.
Screwed the powder die down as far as it would go, in increments.
The rotor goes all the way to the top then the brass would not bell.

...Nothing would work. The conclusion was that Hornady's tech guys will need to advise but with the holidays, that won't be until the beginning of next week.

I would love to get loading this weekend, but want to do it with thge powder thru expander. I've read everything I can here and elsewhere about the press and do recall that this issue has crept up with some others.
If anyone knows something we've not yet tried, pls let me know. Or does anyone know what the techs at Hornady are going to suggest?
All the experiments were with .45ACP brass. To double check, I changed shell plate, expander and was just as unsuccessful with .38 Super earlier this morning.

I posted this on another Forum with the hope I might be able to solve this more quickly. My apologies if thats not the proper thing to do...
Old January 3, 2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Shoney

I have read that some undersize eapanders escaped the factory.

Did you take the expander out and measure it and try to fit it in a sized case to make sure it is the right size?
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 3, 2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Peakbagr

The tip of the expander just fits the mouth of the sized brass. JUST, but does not enter it except for maybe 1/64th or less.