The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 26, 2006, 05:40 PM   #1
Dr_2_B

Attacked by a toy dog, sorta

Well, I had a little run in with a sheltie today. Yes, shelties are those miniature versions of Lassie that weigh maybe 25 lbs at the most. Well, this is the third time this little SOB has charged me in my own blasted front yard. I was headed out for a walk/jog and had just closed the locked door behind me when I heard him coming from next door, barking like crazy and charging me. I turned and saw I couldn't get back in the house in time, so I pulled the little can of mace out of my pocket. (I left the .45 caliber GLOCK in it's holster on my hip)

Now, let's face it, a twenty-something pound dog is not likely to kill me or even hurt me very bad, but I still don't want the little crap to bite me. I mean, do you know what's involved in preventative treatment against rabies? Six stinkin injections over the course of a month or so. And you can't skip the treatment, because rabies is only fatal 100% of the time if you happen to catch it through an animal bite.

Anyway, over my commands and warnings, the dog swung by me once, twice, three times, and on his fourth time he was about 3 feet from me. And I hit him with the mace. He didn't yelp or make any wild moves, but he did leave immediately. The little boy next door said, "Sorry about that." I was really impressed with the maturity of the kid. I told him it was okay with a smile and told him to make sure the dog was alright.

I'm just worried that the neighbors will hold a grudge or something. They are a different race from me and you know how we try really hard to avoid the appearance of any kind of prejudice or enmity - especialy across racial boundaries. Of course, it's not my job to be a prisoner in my own house either, is it?

If you guys wanna flame me or call me a sissy, let's hear it...
Old August 26, 2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Epyon

You're A Sissy!!

TAKE IT LIKE A MAN, SON! LET THE DOG BITE YOU!! HOW COULD YOU MACE SUCH A SMALL POOR ANIMAL? Actually, even a small dog like that, I wouldn't wanna get bit by. I'd say talk to the neighbor and iron it out somehow, if they're being unreasonable, call animal control would be my next answer, and have others bring it up as a problem too.

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old August 26, 2006, 06:07 PM   #3
VirgilCaine

I hate when that happens. I would've punted the thing, hurt it, then got sued for the vet bill. Or miss it and blow an ACL.
Old August 26, 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
CosmoLover

Next time, grab it by its scruff and take it to the neigbor. Just say you found this in your yard and wanted to return it. Them seeing you holding their writhing pooch by it's neck may make them reconsider letting their little dog loose. Just don't hurt the poor thing.
Old August 26, 2006, 07:06 PM   #5
tydephan

Tough call on this one. I understand your situation and would have possibly considered doing the same thing, especially given it was a repeat incident.

However... (and not to make you feel worse or worry more)

I had a dog that barked at anyone that pulled up in my front yard. She was maced by the Utility Company Meter Reader guy because he was afraid of dogs and the mace blinded her permanently. She had to be euthanized.

Maybe your story will have a happier ending.
Old August 26, 2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Esquire M Busterbury

If it'd been really intent upon biting me I'd have to pull a Morten Andersen and punt kick the little **** to high heaven. If the neighbors wish to complain, they may do so as soon as they control their sharp-toothed furball. But that being said, once upon a time when I was a child, My mom saved a family friend's little furball from a much bigger furball by kicked the ever loving crap outta the offending dog. They haven't spoken since. "You should have let him get eaten! How dare you kick someone else's dog" F'n weirdos...
Old August 26, 2006, 08:00 PM   #7
oldbillthundercheif

As a former Animal Control employee I can tell you that those dang little dogs are the worst. The nastiest bite I had during that job was from an 18" long little dust-mop looking thing. Pepper-spray is the next best thing to a "control stick" (pole w/ wire noose on the end). Good job hitting it with the spray, those little buggers can be agile. I probably would have shot it
Old August 26, 2006, 09:44 PM   #8
Dr_2_B

Hey Tydefan,

Roll Tide. Yeah, I was afraid of that. I've heard that sort of thing before, but frankly I'd hoped it was rumor. We hear how safe mace is - perhaps it's easier on human eyes. Turns out this was actually a pepper spray. Maybe that's even more gentle. Who knows.
Old August 26, 2006, 09:50 PM   #9
Dr_2_B

And oh yeah, Thunderchief, I shoulda gone after him with the .45. BLAM, BLAM-BLAM! Eleven loud explosions later, there'd be eleven holes in the yard, and a little dog sitting over there on the driveway laughing at me while he licks himself.
Old August 26, 2006, 09:51 PM   #10
rapier144

Get a big dog to take with you on your walks and let him have a chew toy the next time it comes in your yard .
Old August 27, 2006, 12:45 AM   #11
skeeter1

I still think a big dog is the best first line of defense. My best buddy has a 98lb Doberman, and I wouldn't want to mess with that dog. Fortunately, the dog likes me, so I don't have anything to worry about.

After the mace, I doubt that dog is going to come near you again. I'm glad you were nice to the neighbor boy.

Now if I could just figure out how to get my neighbor's dog from pooping in my yard. The neighbor seems to (somehow) have trained his boxer to poop in everyone's yard but his own. It's a nice enough dog, but maybe I should mace the neighbor.
Old August 27, 2006, 11:47 AM   #12
revjen45

The best answer to obnoxious dogs I have found is a Wrist Rocket or similar slingshot with .44 caliber lead pistol balls. No loud report and it packs a good whack. Many moons ago a neighborhood scroot decided that the chrome rally wheels on my 390 GTA were a fine place to urinate, so I loaded up the old Win. .22 pump with birdshot. I got him twice before he got out of the yard and the neighbors called the police. I told the cops it was CO2 pistol and they told me to use something quieter. On his next visit to my yard I nailed him with a .44 cal lead ball out of the slingshot. It was 5 minutes before he recovered to the point that he could drag himself away, and that was his last incursion. Using a firearm in a neighborhood can be more trouble than it's worth. Have you considered a shovel or hoe leaning on the house next to the front door?
Old August 27, 2006, 12:37 PM   #13
kirkcdl

Couple of ExLax meatballs,and they'll probably replace the dog themselves...
Old August 27, 2006, 02:09 PM   #14
dfaugh

OK, here we go again...

Why is it that everyone that has ever had a dog run up to them barking has been "attacked"?

If a dog is gonna attack you, its gonna do it with little or no warning. If a 25 lb. Sheltie comes after me, I'm gonna laugh in its face (right before I chase it into the next county). Same for a 100 lb. Rotteiler, GSD, Doberman or whatever. If I'm not afraid of a 200 lb. guy ('cause I'm armed or whatever) why would I be afraid of a dog?

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 27, 2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Esquire M Busterbury

Chance of rabies? But please, PLEASE, don't hurt the offending furball...(or shoot them for sport...)
Old August 27, 2006, 02:23 PM   #16
dfaugh

Quote:
Chance of rabies?
Chances are slim to none, and slim is outa town. 99.99% of any dogs you're likely to meet are/were pets at some point, and have been vaccinated, While they SAY the vaccination is only good for 3 years, its actually effective much longer. Much greater chance of contracting rabiies from a wild animal than from most dogs.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 27, 2006, 04:17 PM   #17
Esquire M Busterbury

What if we just don't feel like being harrased by someone's stupid mutt. Either control your dog or watch me kick the crap out of it when it comes it my yard while trying to exert it's dominance over me in my domain. Dog or human, doesn't matter. You come in my yard, start yelling at me and act in a generally threatening manner (even if it's a featherweight fleabag, no matter), you get the same ass-beating therapy. But I would suppose you think even the slingshot far too violent to deal with such a simple little critter.

As for rabies, I don't care. I don't wish to find out the hard way. Just because it probably doesn't have it...screw that.

Moral of the story: If you don't control your dog, this is what will happen. Period. If he wants to come play nice, it's a different story but when they're dead set on being a nuisance...I'm dead set on launching them into the stratosphere.
Old August 27, 2006, 04:51 PM   #18
DanV1317

Before i was 21 and even though of carrying anything for protection, i was attacked by a rottweiler. let me tell you, it is one of the scariest things when a dog comes charging at you. I didn't kill it, but the car that hit it a few days later did.
Old August 27, 2006, 04:58 PM   #19
moose fat

Be the Alpha Male

Or, buy a box of milk bones and make friends with it.

Here in our village rabbies is a real deal. Wild foxes are typically the culpret, usually towards the end of winter when food sources are scarce and the animals resistance to diseases is low.
If there is a case of rabbies it's usually broadcast on the VHF, on posters in public places. The word gets out.

Animals really do foam at the mouth, they are deathly affraid of water, they'll walk in circles and drunkenly and have erratic, aggresive behavior when they are rabbid.
Old August 27, 2006, 05:04 PM   #20
guntotin_fool

the dog is doing its job, it just has not learned its job very well.

I have found that small dogs can very often just be scared peeless by standing up tall raising your arms and bellowing while you run at it.

Never had that method fail me. never had to repeat it either. DO not cross into their yard, just get it to turn and run.

if you have a few pebbles in your hand and manage to get a couple of hits in with PEBBLES< not baseball sized rocks, marble sized pebbles, even better.

Late at night, Take some of your pee and pore it over the trunks of trees or bushes that the sheltie has pissed on, making sure you start higher, Bigger dog, stronger dog, higher he pees.
Old August 27, 2006, 05:13 PM   #21
swampdog

I discovered a long time ago that Chihuahuas make excellent footballs. I don't know if a Sheltie is as aerodynamically designed, but if one snaps at me or actually bites me, I'm sure I'll findout. I got pretty good lift on ChiChi awhile back but the little sucker had already bit me. He pulled a flank attack and I think he was trying to hamstring me, the little ...

The next time you get charged by a little dog, growl at him and charge back. The results can be comical. If he looks like he wants to carry through, pretend it's a kick-off instead of a field goal.

Last edited by swampdog; August 27, 2006 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 28, 2006, 03:16 PM   #22
Dr_2_B

Guntotin,

You've got me chuckling out loud. The day I get in a pissin' contest with a little dog is the day I check myself into inpatient services. If I'm going out late at night to show a dog who's boss, I'm gonna be serving him an anti-freeze steak.

Actually, I think I just need to suck it up and be the alpha male here. Next time I'm gonna try to charge the little sucker and run him off. It's just that he always catches me off-guard when I'm not thinking. And the kids are around or something and I hate to come off like an SOB.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:24 PM   #23
mvpel

I got bit by a barely-socialized, extremely expensive hunting dog in Russia. And I'm not talking about a little spaniel, but rather a dog that was bred to run down and kill a deer that had been wounded by a heavily-licensed underpowered rifle. I suppose if I had to get bitten, better by this one than by one of all the wandering strays we saw over there.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old August 28, 2006, 03:26 PM   #24
stephen426

I could just lend you my dog for a few days. I have an 85 lb. akita that loves to eat little dogs. She is a real sweet heart with people (as long as I say it is okay first), but she won't take any agression from any dog. As long as the other dog plays nice, she is fine. Any agression on their part will be considered ringing the dinner bell.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:34 PM   #25
theDub

This is just my 2 cents but when im correcting bad behaviour in my dogs i use a small half litre bottle of water with a hole in the top , the next time this dog runs up to you just yell a short sharp command like "STOP" or "OFF MY YARD" and give him nice cold blast of water square in the face.
Its harmless and dogs dont like it after a couple of cold showers the dog will only have to see the bottle in your hand and know not to mess with you.