The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 24, 2011, 10:47 AM   #101
johnc1977

Quit Complaining

Just like any other forum you will always have complainers.

First off I have just become a gun owner. I have been thinking about it for a long time and have fired many different handguns attending gun ranges with friends.

After a year long of reviews, comparisons, and personal opinions from across the board I had decided that the PT140 was going to be the best choice for me. I have slightly smaller hands so the compact pistol was the best bet for me. Before I even bought this gun I read reviews here in this forum and noticed that it got bashed a lot, but it was getting bashed by mostly biased gun owners. I have taken my gun to the range a few times, and have fired over 300 rounds out of it without 1 single jam. I do agree with someone else who said that the magazine is usually the culprit. Just like in other things besides a pistol, you can't force things in otherwise you will have problems.

I am very happy with my pistol and would not trade it in for the world. I will be getting my CHL next month and will be using the PT140 to take the course.

Also about the contacting of the company, it's just like other companies. You might have to contact them once or twice to get an answer. Certain people try only once and instantly are just done, they throw their hands up and quit...that is called a quitter. People that are persistent are the ones that get answers, not the ones that storm off because they don't get what they want right then and there. There is another term for that, it's called SPOILED. Grow up, do your research, test it out before you buy it, and then you won't have problems. Not any one gun is the right one for any one person...shop around, do research and you will come to find yourself being happy with what you end up going with. Also ask for advice from open minded people, and not the ones that are biased to the one gun manufacturer that they have purchased a gun from...

Just my .40 cents

Last edited by johnc1977; June 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old June 24, 2011, 10:55 AM   #102
Leejack

johnc, welcome to the forum!

Glad to see you standing up for your gun!

Don't back down, not ever!
Old June 24, 2011, 11:00 AM   #103
johnc1977

Thanks Leejack! BTW I too love the smell of Hoppes No. 9 on a saturday morning!
Old June 24, 2011, 11:06 AM   #104
Leejack

Your welcome sir!

I use it to clean my tack driving PT92 on Sundays! LOL!
Old June 24, 2011, 11:34 AM   #105
johnc1977

here is my next purchase :P

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st..._-1?N=39632025
Old June 24, 2011, 11:35 AM   #106
Leejack

Nice!
Old December 17, 2011, 05:59 PM   #107
Disgruntled

I am bumping this thread to the top, as I am also a victim of this shoddy piece of scrap metal that is named the Taurus PT-140. I bought it as a carry gun, and about the only place I'd feel comfortable carrying it to would be to the dumpster.

I bought a new one today at a gun show, and just went to the range. I could not get more than one round to fire at a time without it jamming. I tried both magazines, two different kinds of ammo, etc.

I will say that I have a full-size Glock 22 in .40 that I also shot. It shot flawlessly (as usual), which shows that the ammo was obviously not the issue.

I am going to call them tomorrow and give them an earful. I am not impressed.

By the way, the reason I registered and revived this thread is it comes up in like #2 on Google for searching for "taurus pt-140"
Old December 18, 2011, 12:38 AM   #108
Disgruntled

Update on this...

I am not giving Taurus a second chance. I was going to send back in, under warranty, but after today's events, no. I don't trust this worthless saturday night special hunk of tin. Even if they did replace it, I wouldn't be able to get today's jamming issues out of my mind. I'd be better off carrying a rock in a pocket to throw at a criminal.

I am going to trade it in tomorrow on a Walther PPK, and be done with it.

Taurus can suck it. NEVER again. Garbage in, garbage out.
Old December 18, 2011, 02:41 PM   #109
Shadi Khalil

Rather than create a zombie thread, the moderators and members prefer you just start a new thread for discussion.

Welcome to TFL.
Old December 19, 2011, 08:15 PM   #110
reaganmarine84

RE: Disgruntled. Dude. To bad about your Taurus experience. I own 8 Taurus handguns and have had trouble with exactly "zero". My wife and I use Taurus handguns as our personal,everyday,concealed carry choice. Mine have been utterly reliable and accurate since day one. Taurus is my #1 choice. The only time I stray from Taurus is when I see something from another company I just gotta have, i.e. My Bul Cherokee and SCCY CPX-2. Handguns are kinda like cars. You can have the same 2 cars come off the same assembly line,one right after the other and one of them will have more power and reliability than the other. Go figure. I would hope that after you've had some time to calm down and relax,that in the future you may try Taurus again.
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm & .40;(2)Taurus OSS DS 9mm;Taurus OSS DS .40;Taurus 809;809 compact;840;PT709 "slim" SS;PT738;full size BUL Cherokee;SCCY CPX-2;Smith&Wesson BG .380;Arcus 98 DA;EAA witness P 9mm;I.O. inc. AK-47C;Zastava PAP;Mossberg 500 tactical;Marlin model 60.
Old December 19, 2011, 09:10 PM   #111
ritepath

welcome to the club....I don't recommend a PT145 upgrade anytime soon.
Old December 19, 2011, 09:35 PM   #112
zxcvbob

Old May 13, 2012, 09:39 AM   #113
Rob Saxe

Well...

I bought a PT 140 in 2005 to replace my S&W Model 59. I purchased the Smith from a CID agent when I was in the service and it was a duty, full size 9mm with 16 round clips. It wasn't registered to me and I was concerned, correct or not, that I wouldn't be grandfathered in cause is wasn't registered to me before the law changed in California.

I went out and look at a few guns. At the time my budget was a little low so I traded the Smith in on the PT 140. (before bashing...this worked for me as the Smith was too large to carry concealed and the trade in value wasn't very high)

Until recently, it has sat in my safe as I didn't have a LTC and my range time was minimal. I'm a former military armorer and have always had guns in my life so going to the range generally served as a reminder more than a learning experience.

I've applied for my CCW and have my last appointment on Tuesday next week so I've been getting ready to carry...this means more refresher training and range time, documenting everything.

I have an SP 101 and a LC9 that I've recently picked up. The SP 101 is very reliable as it is a revolver and will be my primary carry gun. The LC9 will fail to fire, something I've recreated several times to be sure I know what is happening, when the slide doesn't fully seat the bullet in the chamber...this will happen with a lot of auto's. However, no jams with the LC9 as one would expect from Ruger.

During my training, I didn't take my PT 140 to qualify with, the LC9 failed to fire twice. I blame that on my unfamiliarity with the weapon and not the weapon itself.

So this week, I, thinking I'm selling the PT 140 and buying a Springfield 1911 carry model, took the PT 140 to the range to try to make it fail. No such luck.

I fired it sideways, ejector up and ejector down, didn't seat the slide fully...not a single misfire or failure to eject or failure to feed. I was running just standard ammo through it, nothing high quality at all.

I've decided to keep the gun as if fires really well so I've decided to put off the 1911 purchase and add the PT 140 to my permit. I'm coordinating further training in the coming month to qualify with it.

For the record...the LC9 recoil is more than that of the PT 140. I'm going to replace the LC9 16lb spring with a 20lb spring which will help a little but for my money, the PT 140 is a keeper even though it is "supposedly" below the quality of the rest of my guns.

I'm a believer in this pistol...just sayin for a balanced argument.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:17 AM   #114
Tom Servo
Staff

Friends don't let friends resurrect zombie threads, and we're all friends here.
Closed Thread