The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2014, 12:01 PM   #51
rodwhaincamo

I buy my punches from a retired machinist from another forum. He sells them for $10 + shipping to whatever size you want them, and sends several ~1/4" thick leather pieces he punched to ensure it's sharp and works well.

I had the cheap set from Harbor Freight, but they wouldn't even punch through the felt material with several hard whacks! It wasn't worth my time to return them.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:36 PM   #52
Stormson

Quote:
As far as using some form of cardboard wad or paper over the powder I'd thunk that if it's too thick it would protect the lube pill from the "Heat" and minimize the reason it's in there.
Quote:
I'd thunk about using something that would absorb any leaching from the lube pills. Like plain arse news paper or better yet "Cigarrette paper". It's nitrated and thus will burn if it's on the powder. Maybe not completely consumed since it's not in front of the heat long but still burn it's way down the barrel. That kinda paper absorbs oily stuff well.
NEVER thought about that! But your right, of course... That is EXACTLY what the cardboard would most likely do, now that I think about it.... The cig paper is probably gonna be a much better idea, along with mixing the pill really hard. I'll try both eventually, but yeah, Im expecting the paper will work better... PLUS, having the paper around is a good excuse to try my hand at making paper cartridges... Fair warning, you guys can probably expect a thread about THAT sometime in the future too LOL!

Quote:
Remember to do it well.......become the gun....the bullet.....the powder.....be one with the process. You'll hit more bulls-eyes that way.
LOL... As a former MilSurp guy, I swear man, these things just point THEMSELVES! I know exactly what ya saying.. this is how I have always shot a bow...by instinct. With these BP revs? Its almost the same thing.. Just get in the zone and let the bulls-eye flow through you!
Old March 8, 2014, 10:41 PM   #53
Stormson

Thankye, Rod! Bit by bit... Im getting it all together... The Ol' lady is getting a little tense about the whole thing (LOL), but yeah this definitely looks like the way to go... WAY cheaper then the wonder wads..
Old March 8, 2014, 11:40 PM   #54
rodwhaincamo

It certainly seems to have an upfront cost overall. Felt, punches, molds, ladle, melting pots, etc., and the lead to do those parts yourself. I'd venture into making my own powder, but it scares me a little. Maybe if I had someone knowledgable over my shoulder…

I also wish I had the know how and machinery to do some of the smithing too!