The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
farmerboy

Weatherby Magnums

Do we have anyone on here who reloads for the Weatherby magnums?
Old August 31, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
rg1

I've loaded for my .300 Weatherby MKV for the past couple decades. Loading for the Weatherby is where you'll save some money. I've used mostly Norma MRP powder, Federal 215 magnum primers, in Weatherby and Remington cases. Remington cases for the .300 Wea have less case capacity and maximum loads have to be reduced from Weatherby cases. I got a Weatherby Reloading Guide from many years ago with all the Weatherby caliber load data. It's pretty accurate as to reproducing factory velocities. Main thing when loading Weatherby or any other belted magnum case that headspaces on the belt is to size your brass so you are only pushing the shoulder of the case back a minimum amount. If you set your belted magnum sizing die for firm contact with the shellholder you're probably going to push the shoulder back too far and you WILL get case stretching and a possible case separation after 4-5 loadings. A visible inside case stretch mark appears after the 2nd or 3rd load. I recommend Hornady's Headspace Gauge set or any other that you can measure the headspace and adjust your sizing die to only push the shoulder back about .002 to no more than .004". I've shot Hornady 150 and 180 grain SP's in mine but have also worked up a load for the 200 Nosler Partition. It will shoot less than an inch and closer to 1/2" groups or less at 100 yards. The .300 Weatherby MarkV is a great hunting rifle but a little much to target practice and isn't fun to shoot off the bench after a few rounds. The big magnums are not for everyone. It'll quickly give you a natural flinch especially after it starts hurting your shoulder. So don't let them make you flinch and concentrate on not flinching as you release the shot. Plus I'm not too recoil sensitive and still have to watch my shots. Shoot your .22 rimfire just after shooting a heavy kicker and you'll feel yourself jump.

Last edited by rg1; August 31, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old August 31, 2012, 11:45 PM   #3
GeauxTide

My first rifle was a Sauer made LH Mark V in 7mm Weatherby. The excellent stock design made it comfortable even while propelling 160gr Noslers over 3000fps. Didn't have too many powder choices in the 70s, so stuck with H-4831. Even shooting max loads, the Norma brass lasted 6-7 rounds. As mentioned above with resizing, I didn't full length size after first firing. I put a nickel width between the die and shell holder.