The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 5, 2014, 05:53 PM   #26
Sierra280

Gun control has the same aim it always had on the US: to take guns away from the poor-especially minorities. The EXACT arguements the left uses to oppose expanded voter registration laws can be applied to gun control measures (the poor can't take time off for work for extra licensing, can't hire child care, can't afford higher fees or training times, etc.). I completely agree it's an interesting bit of social engineering, the easiest way for the plutocrats to keep people in a society of growing disparity is to disarm them! (Why does the Russian revolution come to mind?)
Old April 5, 2014, 05:59 PM   #27
manta49

Quote:
(Why does the Russian revolution come to mind?)
Russia at the time was a dictatorship more or less. America is not I don't see the comparison.
Old April 5, 2014, 08:45 PM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's not replay the Russian revolution.

However, I do think that tragedies can lead to already antigun states to tighten laws and mixed politics states like Colorado to do also depending on local legislative circumstances. The latter might be overturned. The former (NY, MA , CT or CA) will not be overturned in the legislatures. Court challenges might work but that's an empirical question. I don't count on the SCOTUS to give us the 10 RKBA commandments from the Fab 5 Heller justices.
Old April 5, 2014, 08:54 PM   #29
freedash22

Quote:
1. A shooting occurs
2. The "we need stricter gun control" argument occurs
3. New laws get struck down
4. Quiet pause for a few months
5. Then another shooting
The way I see it, this pretty much sums it up. Even if new laws that allow carrying firearms inside bases are made, they will just get struck down by the antis. But some lawmaker should try it though, in case it gets through.
Old April 5, 2014, 09:15 PM   #30
Sierra280

Actually I was referring to when the revolution was underway and the people (sick and tired of the oppression of the czars and the aristocracy) began killing all the aristocrats. Many of the wealthy went as far as rubbing dirt and grease on the faces and clothes, and rubbing gasoline on their hands to make it seems as though they were working class.

And let's be perfectly clear; America is NOT a democracy, it's a voting republic (with a disturbing amount of similarities to the worlds first voting republic) The first election I voted in (18yrs old) the Supreme Court chose the president. Then came the useless wars, which killed, maimed and damaged so much of my generation. I've watched the television history of Vietnam, do much of what the public was fed to get us into the Middle East was almost verbatim. The bill of rights has been all but completely destroyed. And the primary tasking of the police/military is preservation of Capitol (why was the 10th Mtn div. protecting a Chinese copper mine in Afghanistan?). The icing on the cake is that our elected representitaves in the houses of goverment work under the directive of and for the interests of the wealthy elite and multinational corporations.

Regardless of what gun control measured are passed, just by shear numbers, it would be all but impossible to disarm Americans, thankfully. If you think you live in a country 'of the people, by the people, and for the people,' pull your head out of the sand.

And BTW, to all the older generations (who should have been marching in the streets in masses, instead of arguing about the terrible things 'that other political party is doing' thank-you from all the millennials for letting a us inherent such a great democracy. And I'll let you in on a little secret: the war between our 2 major parties is just subterfuge-they are all working toward the same end, to further the plutocracy!
Old April 5, 2014, 09:49 PM   #31
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Buzzard Bait
SSRI DRUGS ?
I think if you look farther you will see that nearly all of the mass shootings have ben performed by shooters under the influence of SSRI type drugs but that never seems to make the news
Nothing on the gun control front will happen as a result of the recent Fort Hood shooting. Tossing the antidepressant card into the mix will do nothing. There is simply too much money involved for the finger to be pointed toward AD's, regardless of the fact that Ambien is a drug with some seriously dangerous side effects, especially when combined with SSRI's.

There's little doubt in my mind that Ambien was a significant contributor to the incident.
Old April 5, 2014, 10:03 PM   #32
Sierra280

Actually most mass shootings have happened because of a general lack of care for the mental health of our citizens. Even though the military is downplaying it, the latest fort hood shooting can be directly linked to a lack of proper mental health care.

BTW, Charles Whitman wasn't on SSRI's, he just couldn't get the proper medical care he needed.
Old April 5, 2014, 10:20 PM   #33
JimDandy

Quote:
There's really not much fuel for their rhetoric this time around, which explains their relative silence on the issue.
It's actually far stronger "rhetoric" for "our side". Twice now in the same nearly-gun-free-zone. These folks go through basic training, are often armed overseas, but often can't carry in their own home if it's on base.

We can point to the ludicrousness of that dichotomy.

We can ask why more of the infantry grunts aren't "patrolling" military bases.

Heck, park a humvee or a striker in front of any large administrative building on each base. Let the training rotate in humping their rucks from building to building instead of some well worn forest trail. I have the feeling we're about to drastically downsize the military, when they could be doing base security.

Quote:
BTW, Charles Whitman wasn't on SSRI's, he just couldn't get the proper medical care he needed.
Charles Whitman probably still couldn't get the medical care he needed.
Old April 6, 2014, 06:14 AM   #34
manta49

Quote:
Actually I was referring to when the revolution was underway and the people (sick and tired of the oppression of the czars and the aristocracy) began killing all the aristocrats. Many of the wealthy went as far as rubbing dirt and grease on the faces and clothes, and rubbing gasoline on their hands to make it seems as though they were working class.
What's that example to do with gun control. You obviously don't like the way America is run, what would your answer be to fix it. ?
Old April 6, 2014, 08:39 AM   #35
Chris_B

Quote:
There's really not much fuel for their rhetoric this time around, which explains their relative silence on the issue.
Yes, and I'm glad you termed it rhetoric. It interests me that the message coming from those same people is "people's lives" but when something like this happens, their voice is absent.
Old April 6, 2014, 10:03 AM   #36
Glenn E. Meyer

Reading the discussion, it is too much of an unfocused general political discussion. Not our focus.

Closed.