The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 24, 1999, 11:12 AM   #1
david_m_curry

Well, my father-in-law dropped off the elk yesterday and now I need to know what to do with it! This morning I arose at about 5:00 am and grilled some of the breakfast sausage outside where it was around 50 degrees---ahhhh! I wanted to have the proper atmosphere to enjoy my first taste of elk (it was yummy!), so I thought that outside in the cool morning air was as good as it gets.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions for how I should cook or use the rest of this elk, please share them.

BTW, I will be in Indiana this weekend, so don't think that I'm ignoring you if I don't reply to anything until Monday

Cheers,
David Curry
Old September 24, 1999, 12:59 PM   #2
Paul B.

Dave. I've always treated my venison, be it deer ot elk, the same as a choice piece of beef. If your elk meat was properly cared for in the field, and kept as cool as possible while being shipped to you, there should be no problem with gamey meat. The only time marinades and sauces should be used is when the meat was not properly cared for. I cannot emphasize that enough.
Paul B.
Old September 24, 1999, 07:26 PM   #3
Mendocino

One of our favorite recipes is Elk Roulade ala Mendocino:

Take a few thinly sliced (1/2 inch) pieces of elk, pound it for EXTRA tenderness as you do abalone, bread it with egg and Italian bread crumbs, take shredded cheese, and thinly (1/16 inch)sliced smoked pheasant and placed on top of the uncooked, breaded stakes. Roll this all up with the cheese and pheasant inside the elk. Tie each one together with cooking thread. Use olive oil, fresh garlic, and scallions and heat in a skillet, brown the roulades evenly and remove from the skillet. Let the oil drain from them and place in baking pan. Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about ten minutes and serve.

I know this may sound complicated but it is worth it. If you have the misfortune of no smoked pheasant use smoked turkey.

Enjoy!

------------------
It is far better to dare mighty things, though riddled with failure, than to live in the dull grey of mediocrity.