The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1
gopokes

Help with dies.

Ok, so I am up to my ears in reading. Information overload!!! I need help picking dies for my Glock 31 357 Sig. In the Speer manual, they suggest RCBS dies, but of course they would as RCBS is part of ATK group (no hate against RCBS, I have the rock chucker) but I have read messages stating that RCBS doesnt quite have this die setup down. Pete from Pete's 357 SIG caliber page likes the Dillon dies and then it appears to be very popular to use the 40SW carbide then follow with the 357 dies. Some people say that is the better route to go if you already have the 40 dies. I don't have the 40 dies, so I need your help.

Dillon route OR 40SW followed by 357 dies route?

and If you suggest the 40 route, what brand of dies do you use/suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Old June 14, 2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The easiest way to load 357sig is a 10mm/40SW carbide die followed by a 357sig steel die.

If you only use 357 dies, you will need case lube. You won't if you use the 10/40 carbide first.

Preventing bullet setback is the biggest trick with 357sig. The best methods are either using a powder that results in a compressed charge (AA#9 or 800x) or using a Lee Factory Crimp die. (I use both methods, 800x and the crimp die)

As for what brand of sizing dies, it really doesn't matter in this case. I use Lee. It's not long range rifle shooting. If it works, it works.
Old June 15, 2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Axelwik

I use my 40 carbide die followed by a Lee 357 SIG die set, then use a factory crimp die to prevent setback.

That's two extra steps that I don't have to do for my other calibers, so consequently I don't do a whole lot of shooting with 357 SIG.

Tags
357 sig dies